Gained weight after starting exercise program

Options
On December 23rd I joined a gym and have been doing 30-60 minutes of cardio (elliptical is my favorite) 4-5 times a week. Since then I have gained 2 pounds. I have lost an inch but I hadnt measured since Sept so who knows when that came off. I have been very strict with myself concerning calories. Do you think this is a muscle gain even though I am doing cardio, not strength?

Replies

• Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Water. :flowerforyou:
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    It definitely could be. I know sometimes when I do really well with eating for awhile and step up my workouts, I can tell I have lost inches in certain places, but the scale says otherwise. I use the scale as a guideline, but don't base my entire success off of it. I have a lot of leg muscle, and I also do weights a few times a week, so I always take that into consideration. And even just doing cardio can build muscle! :)

However, it could also just be water weight. I always weigh myself at the same time each weigh in, wearing the same thing.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    The odds of it being muscle are slim. It takes a man about a month to gain 2 lbs of solid muscle and that's with a heavy body building routine.

Odds are you are dealing with water.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

This
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Water and glycogen storage in liver and muscle cells. Totally normal and usually subsides within a couple of weeks.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    If you look better and feel better and have lost inches, then by all means, just stick with it! The scale is ONE, not-so-accurate form of measurement of where you are! :)
  • dietkix
    dietkix Posts: 14
    Options
    Muscle it is :) muscle weighs more than fat and doing cardio still helps to create muscle.. tho it shouldn't be all about scale - more about how does your body fit in clothes etc..
  • alisahaggard
    Options
    I was keeping my calories at or below 1200. I lost initially, then stopped. I found once I kept my net calories over 1300, I started losing again - that's WITH eating back most of my exercise calories. I can't see your diary, but when you say "strict" that's the first thing I thought of. I agree with the water comment., I also find that the morning after I work out, I retain water, so it's only if I skip a day that I'll really see a loss.
  • goldieglitter
    goldieglitter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches, then you are losing fat! The gain that you found maybe water, and it also may be muscles that you are building through your workouts. What kind of weight lifting are you doing? Have you tried Body Pump? My gym offers it, and it is AMAZING. I normally HATE lifting weights, but Body Pump makes it fun and having an instructor for my weight lifting really makes me push myself and follow through with my entire set.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of water.
  • Harley_Otter
    Options
    The biggest suspects are muscle gain and water weight, however, how are you eating? are you meeting your calorie goal or at least getting within 100 calories of it, not eating enough can be just as bad as eating too much, it makes your body think you are starving it, slows your metabolism ,and makes it start storing all fat you get in fear that soon you won't be getting food if you've had to cut back so much.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    It can be a number of things, and yes...even muscle. I hope you don't mind, I looked at a handful of your food diaries and here are a few suggestions. Cut back on the processed and restaurant foods...while you weren't always over on sodium, you had a few days you were and these things are always sodium heavy. Watch your sugar intake and the sweets...once again, not always over, but trading those out for natural sugars, like fruits will make a big difference. And, I didn't see much water! While a lot of people like to debate the 8 cups of water, I do believe it works and it will help to 'flush" you out. If you aren't drinking your water, please consider starting!
    And if all else fails, switch up your workout routines a bit, shake things up and see how that works. Hope you kick this plateau soon!
  • CrystalCrossan
    CrystalCrossan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, you you'll lean out but perhaps weigh the same (or even more). The last time I was in the gym, I gained 5 pounds then lost 10. Probably water to start off with though this early in your exercise regimen. Great job on losing inches!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    No, if you're operating at a calorie deficit and you aren't strength training with HEAVY weights you aren't building (gaining) muscle. More likely the weight gain is from water or that time of the month. Be patient, keep exercising and stick to MFP's calorie goal. Also, double check your diet/fitness profile to make sure your settings are correct, especially your activity/lifestyle setting.
  • rose313
    Options
    Ohhh water weight. I thought I was being told to drink water lol. My diary should be public, idk why its not working. I eat 1200 a day every day.
  • rose313
    Options
    When should I expect to see more inches come off? A month? Two weeks?
  • rose313
    Options
    I dont log my water but I drink 4-6 10 ounce bottles a day.
  • although cardio doesnt build muscle it most certainly makes it leaner and dencer, I think inches off is what matters so your obviously doing really well :-) I think you have to change up your routine now and again because your body adapts and stores calories due to the amount of exercise you do and learns to endure more and more overtime making it harder to burn, good luck, keep up the fab work :-)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how tall you are but 1200 calories per day seems a bit low for the amount of weight you have to lose. If your goal is set at 2 pounds per week, I'd change that to 1 pound per week.

If that's not the case, then I'd also suggest increase your water intake a bit more, especially on the days you're consuming a lot of sodium and the days you're active.

Any chance it's your time of the month? Sometimes we forget how much that can alter our weight...
  • rose313
    Options
    MFP recommended me 1200 a day, I am 5 foot 2 and 157 pounds.