Options

Replies

• Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I don't because
    A) I stop losing weight when I do and
    B) I'm never hungry enough to eat more

I know a ton of people disagree with this and that's okay, this is just what personally works for me. You guys can hate on me all you want, but I truly believe that (at least for me) "starvation mode" is something you reach when you are at your absolute thinnest-- it just doesn't make sense to me that if you have excess fat, that your body wouldn't burn it.

I know that I lost 50 lbs in the past by not eating my calories back, and gained a ton of muscle and held at about 17.5% BF. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering this too. According to mfp i burned over 1000 calories doing my king fu class. That's a lot of eating! I was hungry after so I did eat but nowhere near that.
  • csmith4567
    csmith4567 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This answers here are consistently good answers. Eat them and lose. If I go more than 4-5 days without meeting my calorie goals, my weightloss tends to slow down. My doc said if I make it a point to go over every 4-5 days (including exercise calories), I will keep my body from adapting to the lower calories and keep the weightloss consistent. Seems to be working fine for me.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    I think about a super athlete like Michael Phelps. I am nowhere near his fitness or workout nearly as much as he does. But I heard a news story once about what all he eats and how many calories he consumes to keep his body fueled.

That's all you need to really think about is Food is Fuel.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Eat your exercise calories. I did. I do. I lost 25lbs and now I'm maintaining.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I don't because

I know a ton of people disagree with this and that's okay, this is just what personally works for me. You guys can hate on me all you want, but I truly believe that (at least for me) "starvation mode" is something you reach when you are at your absolute thinnest-- it just doesn't make sense to me that if you have excess fat, that your body wouldn't burn it.

I know that I lost 50 lbs in the past by not eating my calories back, and gained a ton of muscle and held at about 17.5% BF. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Most likely, this works for you because a) you are underestimating food intake or b) overestimating exercise burn or c) have your activity level set too high. Or all three. Additionaly, it could be that your metabolism has already slowed down due to low calories so you are stuck at the lower intake. These were true for me for a very long time, as well. :flowerforyou:
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    Get a HRM, and calculate your calories from there. mfp often over exagerates calories burned through exercise. And when you know how much you're burning, eat those calories back. You'll have better long term results. All the best for your journey:flowerforyou:
  • TidoWyla
    TidoWyla Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat my exercise calories, but everyone's different....do what works for you
  • MariFitBody
    MariFitBody Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I lost 25lbs. I am now working on building lean muscle and I never ever eat back my exercise calories. I wouldnt want to sit there after all that work eating to then go to sleep on a full stomach. After my workouts I always drink a protein shake for recovery and Im good. In my opinon I feel like it defeats the purpose of working out. But then again thats what works for me and itsmy opinion. To each their own. Do what works for u.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I gain weight if I eat them. Figure this is due to either underestimating calories, or, more likely, the site's own calorie information was a little too optimistic. I've recreated the exercises I do for myself and lowered the calories significantly. It's leveled out now.
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I do eat my calories back within reason..... sometimes I workout twice a day and according to MFP.... my martial arts for 90 minutes burns like 1,300 calories... well I don't eat that back... but if I only do my quick workout at lunch for like 40 minutes and burn like 400 calories..yes I eat back about 1/2 of those sometimes more... and I am losing..slowly but surely.... I think it may vary from person to person.. everyone is different.
  • aqua_zumba_fan
    Options
    I eat them back because otherwise my body is functioning on too little. If you are already eating under 1200 even that is not enough, so take away those 246 calories or whatever and it's way too low. If you net 1200 you will lose weight cos MFP has set that at the number of calories you need to net to lose weight. I'm losing weight. I count my calories weekly rather than daily (easy if you have app as it includes a graph) so I can zigzag calories a bit and my body doesn't get into a rhythm.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I am on a primal diet..so I dont really watch calories..I mostly watch my carbs...I try to stay under 100 a day since I am still trying to lose body fat...
  • hlodwig
    hlodwig Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat back my exercise calories, just because it seems rather counterproductive to my system - I haven't been able to lose weight when I do that. That being said however, I do ramp up my exercise calories in anticipation of periods when I will be eating more than usual (i.e, family gatherings!)
  • Candy42adore
    Candy42adore Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I:laugh: LOVE THE dR PHIL PIC!!! LOL
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've done both. I am experimenting right now because I've been stuck in the same 2-3 pound weight range for over a month, after consistently losing for ten months. I know I am close to goal but I want to lose about 13-15 more pounds. So I am trying eating more. Yup. I normally eat 1400-1500 calories a day and exercise anywhere from 200-500 off depending on the day. I usually take weekends off from exercising (unless I do a 5K) and I eat more, so my calorie average over the last four to five months is between 1500-1600. So I am increasing cardio AND weight training for the month of January, increasing calories and protein, and increasing water intake. We'll see what happens. Worse case scenario I'll stay the same and have more muscle, right?
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I don't because

I 100% agree with you. I gained weight when I ate back my exercise calories! I even only ate back half in case I was over estimating what I burned, and still gained! It is really up to the individual. No one is exactly the same, what works for one person won't work for another. You just have to test it out and find what works for YOU. Your body will tell you what works, you just have to try out your options. It is not required to eat your calories back from exercise. Many people will shove it down your throat that you have to, but like i said, it's what works for YOU. Try eating all for a few weeks, if that doesn't work, only eat half, and if that still doesn't work then you might not need to eat them back.
  • JeanniebeanL79
    JeanniebeanL79 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That's the only reason I work out. Just kidding, sorta.
    HAHA, I am the same way! lol
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have never eaten back my calories. On a 1200 calorie plan and typically work out 4 or 5 times a week and have lost weight every week. I'm never hungry and even if I take a week off as long as I stick with my calories, I maintain my weight.
  • CRMrunner
    CRMrunner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I eat my calories back. I have since I started. I was losing for the first 15 pounds while eating calories back. I haven't lost as much lately, but I didn't work out enough before Christmas and ate over my calories several times.