Diet Ideas and help please

Options
Hi My name is Abby and I'm 21 I am currently 209 lbs. I have struggled and struggled with weight my whole life. I feel like when I'm Dieting I'm hungrier than when I'm not! I would like to get down to 160-170.. My main problem is when I'm doing good on my diet for a few days then I just want to Stuff my face and eat and eat! I am doing alot better at picking healthier foods but im not losing like I would like to so I would love some Ideas and motivation please! I'm not only doing this for myself but to be healthier for my son as well!

Replies

• ShrinkingSusan
    ShrinkingSusan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi, Abby and welcome to MFP! For me, the key has been in choosing food choices that stick with me and are filling. I have a lot of salads, celery and/or carrots with hummus, use whole wheat breads. Veggies in particular fill me up for a small cost calorie wise. More filling options for breakfast: oatmeal, eggs, "grown up" cereal. I use fruit often as my snacks. For lunch, I usually go with a sandwich or wrap that contains lean meat, hummus, and spinach leaves. Dinners are usually a lean meat with a big salad or veggies. If I can help you in any way, please just ask.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    There is no magic pill for this, you jsut have to want it more than you want the food. Its not easy, if it were then everyone would be thin! Make a list of why you want to lose the weight and post it in prominent places. Make a list of things you can do when you don't want to eat. Track everything you eat, set up rewards for each 5lbs lost.. spend a lot of time on MFP making friends that can keep you accountable. Start a streak of exercising 10mins a day. Plan for treats so you dont' feel deprived all the time. Losing weight doesn't mean eating salad everyday. You can do this, just take it one day at a time.
  • cls09
    cls09 Posts: 38
    Options
    When I started dieting, I too noticed how I would crave all the bad food. I restarted a diet last week, where I eat healthy for six days then have one day where I eat anything. So, Monday through Friday I ate very healthy, then on Saturday I had my usual greasy breakfast and lunch, although, I realized that I felt very full and would only eat about half of my meal and I still got my craving out. Then, on Sunday I was back to eating healthy. Just a thought...it seems to work for me but everyone is different.

Also, start walking and drink a lot of water. I know you said you had a son...maybe you guys can start bike riding together...

Best of luck, feel free to add me!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hi My name is Abby and I'm 21 I am currently 209 lbs. I have struggled and struggled with weight my whole life. I feel like when I'm Dieting I'm hungrier than when I'm not! I would like to get down to 160-170.. My main problem is when I'm doing good on my diet for a few days then I just want to Stuff my face and eat and eat! I am doing alot better at picking healthier foods but im not losing like I would like to so I would love some Ideas and motivation please! I'm not only doing this for myself but to be healthier for my son as well!

You are probably feeling hungrier when dieting because you're eating less food than you are used to. That's pretty normal.

I would recommend the following things for starters:

1) Don't cut your calorie intake aggressively low. This may be what causes you to fail. Stick to a moderate/reasonable calorie deficit (I can't comment specifically w/o knowing your maintenance intake but 1200 calories will be too low).

2) Exercise regularly

3) If you are capable of moderation by not entirely eliminating things you enjoy from your diet, then give this a try as it could help you stay on track. If you're the type that can't eat one serving of chips without destroying the whole bag, then this option isn't for you and you should ignore this part. But, if you've not tried this, I'd suggest it. By itself, a piece of cake or a serving of chips or whatever the item is, isn't going to sabotage your efforts and make you fat provided you can still hit your daily calorie/macro intake. If the food item causes you to overeat/binge then obviously you should avoid those for the time being.

4) Most importantly, I would look for foods that cause you to be full. I will give you an example: I could easily eat my entire days worth of calories in 1 sitting (3200 kcal). I could not eat 3200 calories of tilapia and broccoli because the quantity required to do so would be enormous.

You should make an effort to select some foods that have a low calorie density but still provide great nutrients. Fish and vegetables are one such example.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I find eating more fibre keeps me full for longer!
  • rissameade
    Options
    Welcome to MFP I am a newbie too I have about 100 lbs to lose-I too find my self hungry on a "diet" and then gorging after a few days. Unfortunately there is no easy button on this but I too have a "cheat day" as a reward. at least that is my plan this time around. Good luck to you I wish I had some more solid advice.
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    Drink enough water every day- I think the general rule is half your body weight in ounces- so you'd need to drink a bit over 100 oz. I bet you aren't drinking that much! Try it as a first step
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    It is not easy - I think each person has to find the right balance. For me - I have to exercise. Without exercise I can't do it. I also am very good Monday through Friday and on Saturday and Sunday allow myself a few snacks I normally wouldn't during the week but still stay within my calorie goal. That works for me because Monday through Friday I am very sedentary (desk job) and on the weekends between chores, house work, spending time with family, etc. I am much more active. Be sure to not starve yourself - that was my big downfall. I heard all about healthy lifestyle and healthy foods, etc., and always tried to eat that way when I first start a diet - before you know it I would fall off the wagon. Now I set myself up small goals and am trying to make an actual lifestyle change that I can maintain - I eat more fruits and veggies but if I absolutely have a craving I try to eat a small portion and take longer to enjoy it. I also have figured out some of my triggers - I work in an area surrounded by fabulous restaurants you walk outside and it makes your mouth water so before I take me stroll/walk during lunch; I eat lunch. This helps to curb the cravings and if I am hungry I stay out of the stores - if I don't go in a store I can't buy a sweet. Good Luck on this journey:flowerforyou:
  • CrimsonVixen
    CrimsonVixen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find eating more fibre keeps me full for longer!

Yeap, fibre helps and so does protein, 20% of the calories from protein are also burnt off just from digesting it. And as everyone else has said, lots of fruit and vegetables.

Having a cheat day works for some people as well but I (personally) wouldn't overdo it too much. Hope you find something that works for you. ;3
  • bbwceo1019
    bbwceo1019 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have found that stocking only healthy, but tasty items in my pantry help. I love Fiber one oats n chocolate, veggie sticks or pop chips (like potatoe chips but so much better) and skinny cow fudge pops! That way when I do binge eat or what have you I at least binge on lower calorie items that give me that same yummy flavor. I also really like hummus & celery - it fills me up big time and takes the place of tortilla chips w/ bean dip. Man I made myself hungry... going to go have 40 veggie sticks for 130 calories! Good Luck!
  • melsy21
    melsy21 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with everyone's comments, especially Sidesteal's. I hightly recommend Eating Clean by Tosca Reno. Information on her website is free. But the books are a great start. A lightbulb went on in my head about what to eat together to feel truly fullfilled. Celery, carrot sticks and rice cakes just don't cut it in my life. I love that full, warm feeling of proper nutrition! I also find that weight loss is less about our bodies and more about our minds and our addiction to food. Thats my opinion only and I can't speak for everyone. But just know that you are not alone in your struggle. Obesity is a difficult in every way for many of us. Seeking support from this website, friends, colleages or a support group is also key. We are in this together. Here's hoping you find the inner strength to take care of you. Your body, your spirit and your mind. Mel
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I have found that eating a little more protein than this site calls for has helped me stave off some of the hunger pains and drowning my sorrows in water helps too. I just keep reminding my self that, sometimes, when my body is really thirsty, it gets confused and thinks it's hungry. A glass of water or a nice hot herbal tea before I dive into the food helps. I love carbmaster yogurt with a little granola sprinkled on - seems to stick with me pretty well. And lots and lots of vegies for fiber and fullness. Just keep reminding yourself every day of all the reasons you want a healthier life. We're here to help, support and encourage you!
  • newCourtney
    newCourtney Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    In addition to the actual food advice, I would suggest that you do some reading or reflecting on what food means to you in your life. Many people develop a dependence on food as a way to handle stress or celebrate successes. When people diet, they feel those supports are being taken away. Also, your body becomes dependent on certain foods or accustomed to receiving certain foods. When you stop eating those unhealthy foods, your body has to adjust. Work through a few days and it will get easier. Also, try listening to podcasts that will educate you about health.
    Good luck.
  • piercedee
    piercedee Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    When I first started I found that I would get really intense cravings for pizza. After "ignoring" them for 2-3 weeks they went away and I started to feel more satisfied with what I was eating. Now occasionally I still get cravings for junk food but they are easier to ignore. I know it is easier said than done but see if you can keep with the new way of eating (like many I do not like the word Diet) it does get easier.
  • Abalicious11
    Options
    Thanks for the Imput I dont really eat chips actually and I live a semi-active life style. I play basketball 3 to 4 times a week and jsut recently started the jillian michales 30 day shred as well. I'm not sure but maybe genetics could have a role is this to my mom is about 6'1 and probly 280 she husky and my dad is the same way. I know my body type is bigger any how but I want to be at a healthier weight.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider getting thyroid/blood work done in case there is anything medical. This is assuming it wouldn't be a financial burden to do so.

Dietary changes will be necessary regardless and you're doing the right thing by making these changes, but for example-- if you find out you're diabetic you'd handle this a bit differently. Just raising the point in case you've not considered it.
  • Abalicious11
    Options
    That could be something to look into. I Just had my son about 8 months ago ansd was tested for diabetes then and didnt have it then. So to get my thyroid checked what kind of doctor would I go to? Thyroid problems do run on one side of my family.