i feel like it is impossible for me to lose weight!

Options
I did a body cleanse THE CLEANER from vitamen world and went to the bathroom a whole lot but didnt actually lose any weight and every other time ive done it ive lost at least 7 pounds. and i know these things take time and i have no patience! Its hard for me to do cardio workouts bc my knee is sprained and now i feel so bloated. Im considering taking prescription diet pills even tho i know they arent good for you but i am running out of ideas. Help

Replies

• LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough water? A friend recently called me and asked why if she was under her calories and working out every day was she not losing weight. She was barely drinking any water. Once she started, she saw a difference almost immediately.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with eating nutritious food and having a caloric deficit? There are no quick fixes.....

You can do upper body exercises...lift weights...swim....
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Diet pills typically make you go to the bathroom a lot (makes your food go right through you, thus you absorb no nutrients). This can have damaging effects on your metabolism and on your GI tract. I would avoid them at all cost.
  • RealChange31
    RealChange31 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey hun,

It sounds like you are panicking. The best advice I can give is that you can and you will lose weight. Take it one day at a time. Can you eat according to your plan and go on a 30 minute walk, just for today? Then tomorrow try for the same. Eventually the days turn into months, the months into years.....

Be pleased with the time you had with your BF, then get to work! No magic pills!

Hugs,
    -A
  • Ashalena
    Ashalena Posts: 162
    Options
    If you are eating a well balanced diet, you will eventually lose weight, even though you've got a knee injury.

Taking the pills is only going to prolong your weight loss. You may lost weight, but it's all going to come right back and you will be back to the beginning again.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I cant exercise due to heart lung problems and awaiting a knee replacement
    but I can do chair exercises for upper body and some leg work
    look them up on you tube

I am sure if I can do them you can too - they help so much with burning a few extra calories and if down with hand weights you burn a few extra plus making the muscles work harder
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    doing a cleanse is to rid your body of toxins and excess waste... if you are doing it to lose weight then you are wasting your time. took me two years to lose 80lbs .. will probably take me six months or so to lose 47 lbs of which i only have 38 left to lose. im more intuned and trained to lose weight than two years ago.. alot of my bad habits are thankfully replaced. i tried the cleansing thing and it started screwing up my intestinal system so beware of quick fixes
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Everyone above is right. Skip the quick fixes, gimmicks, diet pills, cleanses, etc. Just reduce your caloric intake, eat high-quality foods and stick to the program. Find a way to get some exercise (swimming comes to mind). But the eating part is 75% to 80% of the puzzle. Exercise is only 25% to 30%.

You did not gain weight quickly, so don't expect to lose it right away.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I read your profile, and see that a year ago you lost 50lbs., and gained it all back. You have to stop right where you are, and start to regain some long term focus. Why not work a caloric deficit, exercise, and set a realistic goal of losing 15 to 20 lbs. in three months? It is impossible to lose weight without a real plan, and set goals. Read my profile, I know where you are right now. Plenty of people will support you here. But as they say, you gotta make your mind right. You can do this the right way, but only you have that power.
  • Jarnard
    Jarnard Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting out slow. Perhaps being more aware on what you're eating vs how many calories you're eating. Some small weight training could help as well as some Cardio. If cardio is an issue, you can do other types of exercise that will help increase your heart rate. Patience is key. Good luck on your journey to a new you! By the way, I've been to Mrtyle Beach and I must say it's one of my favorite places. I haven't been in so long.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    well considering you can lose weight without exercise, it shouldn't be a problem. It's all about calories in and out. Exercise helps with cardiovascular health and strength. Also, if you really want to lose weight, slow down the cardio and pick up weights. Simply put, muscle burns more than fat. If you want to destroy the fat from your body, you need strength training and when I mean ST, I mean lifting heavy.
  • skwawk
    skwawk Posts: 1
    Options
    Cut yourself a break: you need to have patience. Don't beat yourself up with an aribtrary time line or weight goal. Please don't do diet pills, they don't work long term.

Cut out simple carbs like potatoes, pizza, pasta, white rice, white flour, bread, etc., and go for quality lean proteins like skinless chicken breast, center cut pork, tuna, lean steak and have plenty of vegetables around that will round out a dinner or lunch. I also make my own trail mix for when I need a snack (peanuts, almonds, dried berries, sunflower seed). If you like soda and sweets, this is going to be very hard, so be warned.

Portions are important too. A "portion" of anything shouldn't be larger than your fist, basically.

I'm not following any particular diet, I'm just eating healthy for a change with some gym as well. Since I cut out the cheap carbs 10 days ago I lost 5 lbs. I know there will be a plateau, but for now I'm encouraged. And I'm 50 years old with all that time of bad eating to make up for! LOTS of water and just eat healthy, tasty stuff. Don't give up!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I did a body cleanse THE CLEANER from vitamen world and went to the bathroom a whole lot but didnt actually lose any weight and every other time ive done it ive lost at least 7 pounds. and i know these things take time and i have no patience! Its hard for me to do cardio workouts bc my knee is sprained and now i feel so bloated. Im considering taking prescription diet pills even tho i know they arent good for you but i am running out of ideas. Help
    I clearly see the problem.

You are looking for some quick way out of your current situation. Some pill or something.
    And while that might work for a season, guess what?

Just like last time, you'll gain it all back.

A 5 mile hike into the wilderness is still a 5 mile hike out. And if you have knee issues, try swimming.
    Bottom line is that success is going to take work.
    Hard work.

And remember, this is not a race.
    Make sure your settings are fixed for 1 lb per week - no more.

One year from now you'll be fit once again, but so much better than last time that you'll keep it off for life.
    Good luck to you, and remember that you are not alone.
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    well considering you can lose weight without exercise, it shouldn't be a problem. It's all about calories in and out. Exercise helps with cardiovascular health and strength. Also, if you really want to lose weight, slow down the cardio and pick up weights. Simply put, muscle burns more than fat. If you want to destroy the fat from your body, you need strength training and when I mean ST, I mean lifting heavy.

i always thought i would get bulky not smaller if i did to much weight lifting rather then cardio?
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

i always thought i would get bulky not smaller if i did to much weight lifting rather then cardio?

I've been strength training for a few months and lifting heavy for almost 2 months.......I'm a size 4 (or 2, depending on the pants). Do I look bulky?:flowerforyou:
  • psuLemon
    Options

Unless you have tons of testosterone and women dont, then it is impossible to bulk. Its a man thing.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    BTW, here is what you can look like with lifting heavy. As you can tell, she is smaller and tighter even though she gained weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat&page=2#posts-5441852