cant curb sugar addiction! I need help ruining my life!! lol

Options
I could live off of sugar. its all i think about and the main reason why i have gained 10lbs. does anyone have suggestions on how to beat sugar addiction?

Replies

• trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I too have a sugar addiction. Once I have 1 piece and I want more! I have found tootsie rolls (mini's) help alot and are low calorie. I make sure to workout so that I can earn extra calories. I understand what you are going through. Sugar is what made me lose control and gain the weight I did :( Well sugar and a job layoff :(
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Just call me #3!
  • Leiose
    Leiose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you tried stevia and stuff sweetened with it? Zevia makes stevia-sweetened soda, if you're into that...
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Fruit! Yes, sugar is sugar but chances are you're going to feel more satisfied from eating some fruit than 1 piece of candy so you probably won't keep going back for more. Another thing I do is drink some water when I feel myself "craving" something.

Also, if you're going to feel that guilty about eating it, don't buy it. If it's not around then you can't eat it.
  • nikki91950
    Options
    best advice i can give is to just stay away from it all together, if at all possible! it's like a drug- once you get it out of your system, you won't forget about it completely but you probably won't crave it as much!
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You're not gonna like my answer but.....

IF you go without long enough, you stop craving it. <ducks from flying tomatoes>

When I did low carb, and abstained from sugar....it was a little rough the first few weeks, but the more I stuck with it, the less I wanted and craved sweet things. I then noticed how certain veggies began to taste sweeter and things started to just taste better.

If you truly feel you can't LIVE WITHOUT IT, perhaps its time you should. I wish you luck. I know it will be tough but it sounds like you need to tell it goodbye!!!
  • rhiasmith
    Options
    I don't know what foods you have around where you live, but there are weight waters food here in the UK, they have little chocolate brownies that are only about 90 calories, very rich and go a long way if you pop them in the microwave for 10seconds, weight watchers also do a lot of different snacks and if you can get them they're really nice :)
  • InvictusPheonix
    InvictusPheonix Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    sugar = my downfall
  • ammiehill79
    ammiehill79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started and completed the AdvoCare 24 day challenge and I have conquered my sugar addiction. It cleans your system of the "things" that you crave and once you ar edone...you truly have no craving for those items. It works. and I lost 7.5 lbs in 24 days as well as 2 dress sizes!!!!

I hope this helps!
  • Blissful_J
    Options
    I'm with all of you...sugar is my nemesis!! Must...avoid...the pastries. :P
  • Ugeyudi1990
    Options
    This is exactly how I beat my sugar addiction. Great advice.
  • lynnjunior
    Options
    My sugar downfall is Red Swedish Fish - just can't give them up (don't know how to begin to either)!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blushing:
  • ammiehill79
    ammiehill79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a possible solution for the sugar addiction and the job layoff!
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Another sugar addict here. Two things that have REALLY helped me - your mileage may vary, of course. I try to wait until 3 PM to have ANY kind of sugar, including fruit. I have NO idea why that works for me, but it does.

Second, I try to severely limit the amount of carbs in my evening meal - you know, like the piles of rice, the pasta, the potatoes, etc. If I'm going to have it, I'm going to have just a bit, and a lot of protein and veggies and fiber to balance it out. I think that slows down the absorption of the carbohydrates, which prevents a huge drop in blood sugar/insulin levels later on.
  • ShefMum
    ShefMum Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Try Jan de Vries "craving essence". But other than that, I think seeing it as an addiction and not allowing yourself to eat that first fast "hit" that takes your body into the boom-crash cycle with glucose-insulin really helps. Also really reduce high-starch white flour based foods that mimic sugar's fast high/hit.

If you're desperate for sweet stuff, try fruit. Try thinking of it like an alcohol addiction.
  • lynnjunior
    Options
    ammiehill79 - I would love to hear more about the AdvoCare24 if possible!!
  • KAbena
    KAbena Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I read something today about sugar cravings... this is what it said:

"Craving Sweets/Candy
    Your body's lacking Chromium, carbon phosphorus, sulphur, Tryptophan.

You can get these from:
    Broccoli, grapes, cheese, chicken, fresh fruit, beef, liver, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts, legumes, cranberries, horseradish, kale, cabbage, turkey, sweet potato & spinach."

I know it's a long shot and a lot of the addiction is more about the mental stimulation of eating sugary things... but maybe your body is trying to tell you something? I haven't tried this yet but it's worth a shot if you're looking to lose some weight!
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    best advice i can give is to just stay away from it all together, if at all possible! it's like a drug- once you get it out of your system, you won't forget about it completely but you probably won't crave it as much!

^^ Hit the nail on the head.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am also a sugar-holic! I could eat ice cream everyday if you let me! I'm doing better with just eating one cookie rather than three and I've found that I just need something little (hershey's kisses do it for me!) to squash the itch. This is something I would like to focus on, but don't think I'm ready to give it up quite yet!
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i know how you feel ..im addicting to sugar also