how can i get more protein?

Options
Hi all hope your all well!

I was just wondering what I can eat to get more protien into my diet? Im not much if a meat eater and eat meat maybe about once or twice a week. I partly don't eat it because I don't like it and because it gets expensive eating lots. I like eggs but they do make ne feel sick a lot of the time.

So what else is good to have?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    nuts.
    beans
    lentils
    yoghurt
    cottage cheese
    soya products
    quorn products.
  • countrygirl812
    Options
    Protein shakes.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    The easiest way to get more protein without having to eat meats is to drink protein shakes.

I drink Optimum Nutrition protein powder. Its 24 grams of protein per serving and just 120 calories. You can drink it with water or with milk or almond milk. Also you can make a smoothie or shake out of protein powder by adding fruits (bananas, blueberries, strawberries, etc) or by adding peanut butter, and then use cows milk or almond milk, and ice. Blend it all up in the blender. They are really tasty this way and healthy. You'd be looking at a shake running about 250 calories with the added ingredients.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I was looking at the shakes the other day and they are well out of my price range the cheapest was £30 and that's half of what we spend to feed our family of 5. Will try more of the other foods though thanks :)
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    protein shake... Body Fortress from walmart has 26g of protein per one scoop... I like the strawberry one
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Meat
  • learningtolove
    learningtolove Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is great for protein as well as cheese.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt....but read the labels as they are not all created equally. Some have 7g protein per serving and others 16g per serving. Quinoa, Nuts.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    EAS Protein shakes...about 100 calories and 20 something grams of protein!
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    whey, peanut butter

not a big fan of meat either.
  • countrygirl812
    Options
    You can buy a 2lb container of protein powder at Wal-Mart for $15. It only takes one scoop to boost your protein, there are 26g in one scoop. You can also throw fruit, peanut butter, and anything else you want into them.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter!!!!!! Mmmmmmmmmm
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Beans, the magical fruit. Also, edamame is delicious.
  • crewsicka
    crewsicka Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Drink milk with a couple double bacon cheeseburgers.
  • pfet226
    pfet226 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You can get protein powder (at GNC or a similar store) and have a shake in the morning. It keeps you full and packs in the protein or any time of the day. I love the brand name Dymatize-Gourmet Vanilla. I add a scoop or 2 with 8oz of 2% milk (non-fat) some ice and blend...also, you can add fresh fruit and make it any flavor you want.

I have been using this protein supplement for a long time and it is very beneficial when you exercise also....take a few minutes and look it up! :flowerforyou:
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes give you the best bang for your buck as far as calorie per gram of protein. You could also look into protein bars however you have to be careful as the protein content varies greatly and so do the calories, carbs and fats.

2% Cottage Cheese is probably the best non-meat natural food (90 cal for 13-15g of protein)

Greek yogurt is a little less protein rich but still pretty good, for a flavored version usually 130-150 cal for 12-14g of protein.

Tofu is an excellent source of protein but can be a challenge to find a brand/variety you like and can work into a recipe.

Nuts, cheeses, eggs, beans, etc all have lesser amounts of protein (4-6 grams per serving) but can also be helpful sources.
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    Cottage cheese is cheap and loaded with protein. I scoop a cup of 1% cottage cheese, with tsp of vanilla flavoring, packet of slpenda, tsp of cinnamon, and almonds in the morning after I lift.

Also there are frozen individually wrapped fish filets you can get, we eat those often (1) to get good omega fats for low calories/low fat (2) because I can thaw them in luke warm water when I get home from work, go to the gym and then come home and bake or grill them. They tilapia costs about the same as chicken breasts where I live.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    this may sound odd but what exactly is cottage cheese and what does it taste like?

I've seen it but never tried it, and the look of it had put me off.. wondered if it tasted better than it looks? I like dairylea cheese spread if it tastes anything like that?
  • carol701
    Options
    Last night I made baked falafel balls and they have garbanzo beans in it. So it was pretty filling and hearty. Just do a Bing/Google search for "baked falafel" and a lot of results will come up and you can see which one sounds the best to you.
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    hard boiled eggs. i made some yesterday and had 2 for afternoon snack/lunch. they are super fast since you just take them out of the fridge. you can also turn them into egg salad or put them on reg lettuce salads as well.