how can i get more protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    cottage cheese is excellent! i like to have it with purple grapes cut in half and/ or pineapple chunks. oh, it has a LOT of sodium tho!
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Turkey meatballs (I eat a few a day for a protein boost, trader joe's makes cheap, yummy frozen ones that taste great plain if you microwave for 2 minutes)
    Lentils
    Beans and rice make a whole protein
    You can bake frozen chicken breasts a few times a week and add it to a lot of other meals
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    In addition to what everyone said, check your grains. They are a surprising source of protein, but only if they have not been heavily processed. Quick oats, for example have half the protein of whole grain oatmeal. (One half cup dry makes 10g protein.) I don't remember but I think it's similar with rice. Quinoa, when cooked, has 8g a cup. If you mix it up with some beans, there's a high protein lunch.

If I'm low on protein, I'll mash up some pre-flavored tofu, finely dice a few raw veg, and marinate it in soy sauce for a minute, and then spread on a whole grain pita for a sandwich. It's comes out to about 20g protein.

Think creatively, stick to whole foods, and you'll have no problems meeting your protein needs.
  • bebeschtroumph
    bebeschtroumph Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I make tuna salad with tinned kidney beans in it. For half a tin of each(with a bunch of crunchy veggies thrown in, no mayo and a bit of dijon mustard) you get 29 grams of protein and 12 g of fibre. Plus, it only hits you with about 200 calories, depending on which veggies you use.

Tinned beans are incredibly cheap. You can get the value ones, they taste exactly the same and are £0.25 per can at Tesco. They're packed with protein and fibre, both great to increase in your diet! It's hard getting advice from people in the states, since stuff is priced wildly differently over there!

As an American living in the UK, I miss Trader Joe's something fierce.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Lentils are super cheap and they have a lot of protein. You can add them to lots of things as they by themselves have very little flavor and absorb the things that you are cooking them with.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    this may sound odd but what exactly is cottage cheese and what does it taste like?

I've seen it but never tried it, and the look of it had put me off.. wondered if it tasted better than it looks? I like dairylea cheese spread if it tastes anything like that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cottage_cheese