2»

Replies

• CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Bump - to read later.
  • JanLaiche
    Options
    I find they are very helpful if you add them in. I always have issues with snacking when I get home from work. I have started having a smoothie (one scoop protein powder, I prefer strawberry, skim milk, and one cup frozen mixed fruit) when I get home. I can avoid mindless snacking and am satisfied with a small dinner. Just include it in your daily calories!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I don't use them as meal replacements. As a matter of fact, I sometimes drink them with a meal as my beverage. My macros are set to 40/30/30 and I have a hard time getting 30% of my diet as protein without them. They are helpful for me in increasing my protein and caloric intake when needed.

(I also LOVE the way they taste. I blend them with all kinds of things and BOOM- milkshake!)
  • deannarey13
    Options
    Yes, but beware. Not all protein is created equal. There are some sub-par quality products out there.
  • autumn_mix
    autumn_mix Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    protein shakes are a great way to replenish your body with nutrients it needs post work out. drink it right after a work out, to avoid that feeling an hour later when you just want to EAT ALL THE THINGS.

^^THIS! I don't use protein as a meal replacement, but I do have a protein shake right after intense workouts (longer runs or P90X). I use Designer Whey Protein in Chocolate, and one scoop has 100 calories. I mix it with a cup of Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk, which is HEAVENLY and has only 35 calories a cup. ~140 calories and I am much less sore the next day - it really speeds my muscle recovery!

Definitely helps with the post-workout eating ALL THE THINGS issue, too. =)
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    I drink one after my workout, which is in the very late evening. Usually it's that thing that gets me to my calorie goal, and keeps me full for the rest of the night so I don't over-snack. Plus I use it so I have more protein, which I have issues sometimes trying to eat it every day for more than one meal. I don't really use it as a meal replacement though.
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    protein shakes are a great way to replenish your body with nutrients it needs post work out. drink it right after a work out, to avoid that feeling an hour later when you just want to EAT ALL THE THINGS.

^^this

only time i use them as a meal replacement is if i make a smoothie with it. otherwise i just mix it with milk and drink after i lift (or now after i am down with insanity)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I have seen many girls that are around my size drinking Protein shakes. I am clueless when it comes to these things and was wondering if this would help with my weightloss and exercise routine? I am currently zigzagging my calories from 1200-1400 switching every other day...and that has seemed to help. I work out atleast 4 times a week doing P90x and High intensity Aerobic classes. I'm 5'4 128lbs, wanting to get back down to 117lbs. So, should I try them and if so what kinds would you recommend an when do you drink them?

They're an easy and convenient way to slurp down some extra protein. That is all. They won't help or hinder your weight gain or weight loss any more than chicken breasts would. Calorie deficits and surplus are what govern weight loss and weight gain.

Having trouble meeting your protein goal? Have a shake. Not having trouble, then skip the shake.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yes they are. I plan on them during the days. I usually have one a day use them both pre-workout and post-workout, depending on how my day is going and what kind of snacks I have. Sometimes I make a full shake out of them, and other times I just use the protein powder and water mixed up to keep the overall calorie count low.