best HRM chest bands for girls.

Options
Hey, everyone. I'm Kat! :) I've been wanting to buy a HRM for ages now, but I haven't been able to tell what is what online, so I figured I would reach out and ask those of you who KNOW what works best.

Keep in mind I play softball and I need a HRM that I can wear during practices that won't be a bother.

If anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE, help me! I need to get one soon so I can keep better track of everything I do! Thanks for your time, everyone!

Replies

• moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I haven't really ever had one I didn't like, but the one I wear now is a polar and I constantly forget to take it off because it fits so well. I find myself getting ready to shower and realizing, whoops! They have a good name in the industry and seem to last longer than my garmin, acumen and ironman ones ever did.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I've got both polar and garmin, and i prefer the garmin. It doesn't have the big lump from the sensor in the middle, and the band is just more comfortable. It's probably a personal preference thing, though.
  • Amber82479
    Amber82479 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Polar is #1 in my book!
  • kellyyjean
    kellyyjean Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Just got a polar and I like it.
  • spade74
    spade74 Posts: 42
    Options
    I just got Sportline S7 Heart Rate + Calorie Monitor, it's a the cheap side of HRM but i love it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin and it is surprisingly comfortable! I wear a DD sports bra and the chest strap just sits around my chest below where the bra comes and is no bother, I rarely feel it, and it doesn't move. I'm very surprised that it works so well!
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 and a Garmin 410 (the Polar came first before I started running over hill and dale). I love them both. They are super comfy, I hardly notice them and they get the job done. If you are looking for just an HRM, then go with a Polar. If you have any interest in knowing distance, then get a Garmin.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and have owned it since Jan 2011. It has given me trouble 3 times. Out of the entire year, 3 times :)

once, it needed a wash (gave it a wash, fixed issue)

once, i had it set too loose that it slipped off (tightened it, fixed issue)

once, I noticed that as I jog, sometimes my breathing gets weird. really weird. (I'm not a good jogger, either). I realized I was exhaling so far that my chest was shrinking waaaaay more than it normally did. so no matter how small I set the strap, it slipped off whenever I got to the point of breathing odd (which is a great reminder to stop breathing like a fool).

so if I were to breathe in the usual way, or even in the excited way (like working hard at work, dancing fiend in zumba, swimming, or during flexible calithenics) it stays on, no issue at all.

I don't really feel it on unless my bra catches the little sensor thing in the front. That only happens if I wear my normal bra instead of sports bra. It is an extremely good HRM. I highly recommend. :)
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I've only ever had a Polar and love it. I do get scratches on my sides from the little clips but have taken to wearing a strip of tape to protect my skin. It doesn't chafe anywhere else, just where the stitching and the clips are. Not a big deal, but something anyway.
  • thekat78
    thekat78 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!!! This was a huge help!! Now I'll be able to count calories more acurately!! XD THANKS AGAIN!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 and a Garmin 410 (the Polar came first before I started running over hill and dale). I love them both. They are super comfy, I hardly notice them and they get the job done. If you are looking for just an HRM, then go with a Polar. If you have any interest in knowing distance, then get a Garmin.

This is good advice. Be aware that some of the Garmins (like mine, Forerunner 405) don't use heart rate data to calculate calories so if this is important for you, read the fine print!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4f here. When it first arrived, I was a little concerned regarding the chest strap "digging in" under my bra, but my fears were unfounded, I didn't even feel it there, at all.

Super-duper comfy and the whole thing works a treat!!