Cold Weather Tips

Options
For those of us in the Northern climes, what are your tips for training in the cold weather? How do you stay warm without getting too hot? I've been training through the winter outdoors for years and have found a few things that work. I love to hear about your tips. Here are mine:

Hands -

Possibly my biggest problem. I have poor circulation to them and they are always cold. This is how I've learn to keep them warm.

1. Wear mittens instead of gloves
2. Wear latex or nitrile exam gloves under your mittens. Your hands will sweat a lot, but this is turn will keep your hands warm. It is the same premise as a wet-suit.
3. If you don't like the feeling of the latex gloves, put into your mittens something made of metal (just make sure it is warm first). I find that my keys and pocket change work very well.
4. Hand warmers if all else fails or I need even more warmth.

Feet -

My second biggest problem area.

1. Proper wicking socks. Make sure they are not too thick or else your feet won't fit into your shoes properly. Tight fitting shoes will cut off circulation and exacerbate the problem. Two thin socks on each foot are better than one.
2. Toe warmers - I like them on top of my foot as it irritates me when I run and they are on the bottom.
3. Duct Tape - Cover the vents of your running shoes with Duct Tape to keep the cold air from blowing into them.

Groin -

I don't know how much of a problem this is for women, but I don't relish the unpleasant feeling of having my manhood frozen solid. Wind briefs will help, plus several other layers.

That's all I have. What are your tips?

Replies

• ditzybutsexy
    Options
    Get the hell out of the cold climate areas. Duh
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Actually, I've never found it to be that big of a problem... once I get a little sweat going, it almost doesn't matter how cold it is out. I will say that there are times when paying for better gear does make a difference, and I've never been one to skimp on gear when I know I'm going to need it or abuse it. I'd rather buy it right once than cut corners and have to buy it 10 times.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I found an awesome product for glove liners and socks: Mizuno Breath Thermo. Google it.

They have a fabric that actually produces heat when it gets wet. So, when you sweat, your hands warm up! I kid you not. I wear the liners under gloves or lobster-claw mittens for cycling and my hands stay warm. I liked the liners so much I just got socks. Haven't tried them yet.

Layers are key and the technical fabrics are best. I am a fan of Under Armour and I tend to wear a compression shirt, a fitted shirt and a cycling jersey. This gets me down to about 36 degrees. I have not tried colder yet cause it's been so mild.
  • jdjefferson
    Options
    For those of us in the Northern climes, what are your tips for training in the cold weather?

I had to laugh a little bit when I saw your post and then noticed you're from Brooklyn. Northern climes? Yeah, I guess it's all relative!
    I have actually found it to be a little warm for my tastes lately here in mild Madison, WI. Today was 50F! Love the 0 degrees. A compression shirt will take me down to 15F comfortably, then I might add a light short sleeve T over that if there is some breeze. Shorts down to about freezing, then maybe a thin long pair. Compression shorts (underwear) makes all the difference in any temperature to keep the thighs and other bits warm.
    If I get cold I run faster!
    Keep on keepin' on!
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I live in North Eastern Ontario (Canada) and the winter weather here usually sits at about -20 celsius or so. I swear by my Under Armour Cold Gear. I wear a pair of compression underwear and then their Cold Gear compression pants and long sleeve top as a base layer under whatever I'm training in. I wear a Cold Gear beanie and a pair of glove liners with a wind glove and I'm GTG.
  • Heather_023
    Heather_023 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've never found the cold to be much of a problem until this year, which is ridiculous because it's been the mildest winter in years! I have pretty good circulation but I find that my face has been getting cold, any suggestions? I find regular scarves either don't stay where they should...
  • richardnicole
    Options
    Thank you..These are simple tips but very helpful!! Cold weather is coming our way in the next few days and these tips will help to keep me warm for sure!
  • missjelika
    missjelika Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've never found the cold to be much of a problem until this year, which is ridiculous because it's been the mildest winter in years! I have pretty good circulation but I find that my face has been getting cold, any suggestions? I find regular scarves either don't stay where they should...
    Ski mask!!
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My cold weather tips are to wear layers, duct tape your toe box on slushy days & shorten your stride (that last one being very important).

Also, I swear by my CW-X insulated, compression tights. However, those only keep me comfortable until around -15C, anything more than that & I need to add a wind layer. I made the mistake of wearing the tights without a wind layer in -27C last week & regretted it during & after the run. For I took them off to find my legs & rear covered in raised, red exposure welts. Yikes!

I still have issues with my hands either being too hot or too cold, so I just suck it up & push through. (Although, I'm definitely Googling Mizuno's Breath Thermo products now).

Ooh! I have a cold weather tip for those driving past runners, please slow down so that you don't spray us with dirt & slush. A run can quickly go from good to bad when you're soaking wet from a passing car, especially if you are only 20 minutes into a 2 hour run. Thanks! :D
  • rachelnelson76
    rachelnelson76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Get the hell out of the cold climate areas. Duh

My thoughts exactly!
  • ohpilot
    ohpilot Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    2. Wear latex or nitrile exam gloves under your mittens. Your hands will sweat a lot, but this is turn will keep your hands warm.

That's all I have. What are your tips?

I usually advise against this (I work at an outdoor 'we outfit you for anything and everything' type store) because moisture makes your body feel cold - hence when you're at the beach and you get out of the water, you're usually cold even it's boiling outside. Whatever works for you though!

My tips are generally to wear wicking layers to move the moisture away from the skin. Merino wool is fantastic - I swear by Icebreaker gloveliners and baselayers.
  • Heather_023
    Heather_023 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ski mask!!

I've thought of this but I feel like I'd look super creepy running around the neighbourhood in a ski mask! :huh:
  • BrooklynBeast
    Options
    For those of us in the Northern climes, what are your tips for training in the cold weather?
    I had to laugh a little bit when I saw your post and then noticed you're from Brooklyn. Northern climes? Yeah, I guess it's all relative!

Well, I said "Cold" weather, not "Arctic" weather. For Arctic weather, I agree with Ditzy, move to someplace warm.