Healthy cheese?

hsh0927
hsh0927 Posts: 259 Member
What are some good, healthy cheeses? Not the little wedges that are the size of a quater and gives you 3 bites. I've heard people talking about using spreadable cheese on fruit sandwiches and other foods but I don't know what kind. Any suggestions/ideas??

Replies

• fusiongal
    fusiongal Posts: 23 Member
    My tip is always to buy a stronger cheese and use lesser of it! Works for me :-) Cottage cheese is supposed to be good for you, but I can't stand the stuff - unless it's cooked in something like lasagne.
  • The little triangle cheese is the cheese they are probably talking about to spread on fruits and stuff. It's the laughing cow
  • Parmigano Regiano is a low calorie, flavor packed cheese and a good source of calcium.
  • Hi everyone,

Was looking for ideas and found this thread, anyone got any more ideas for healthier cheeses? I am looking to boost my protein, rather than a cheese addict ;o)

Thank you!
  • There's a healhy cheese???!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Do you mean "healthy" as in contains nutritional benefits, or "low-calorie"? Because you can get lower calorie cheese, but be aware that low-calorie foods are just more processed versions of the "real" thing.

I would go for higher quality, hard cheese and eat in moderation. I like parmigano Regiano because a little bit goes a long way.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    I'm not sure if this is healthy, but a better option. I buy cheese made from 2% milk. I get the sharp cheddar to get more taste for less cheese. I also use real parmesan cheese, not the stuff in the shaker. It too gives more flavor for less.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Parmesan and Sharp are great because they are a stronger cheese so you can use less.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Be careful with the sodium. Lot of it in cheese.
  • moksumike
    moksumike Posts: 30 Member
    White cheese is almost always more healthy than yellow cheese. Some of the best white cheeses are Farmers Cheese and Yogurt (Fountain of Youth) Cheese. Farmers Cheese is getting a little more common in the grocery store, Yogurt Cheese you may have to look for at s Cheese/Deli type store. They are both a mild cheese

Monterey Jack Nacho cheese spread is low calorie, (40 calories for 2 Tbs) but it is not very natural and full of chemicals.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    God made cheese so we could have little peices of heavan on earth. All cheese is healthy :) in my book...especially paired with wine :wink:

But, Laughing cow is a great substitute and you can get VERY creative with them. Wraps, pasta, sammies, dips, etc.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Linessa makes some great ones, anything from mozzarella and cottage cheese to low fat brie and cheddar and it's all amazing! I love it!
  • It isn't a spreadable cheese but Cabot makes a 75% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese. I like the white version and use it on everything from eggs to veggies to crackers. I had a friend try it and she noticed a bit of a difference in taste but once I showed her the nutritional facts she was hooked!

http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/our_products/product.php?catID=6&id=7
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Goat Cheese!!!

Goes really good on veggie sandwiches, and has a really strong flavor, so you don't need to use too much. (about 70 calories an oz)
  • hauntgoddess
    hauntgoddess Posts: 109 Member
    They have fat free Kraft cheese in cheddar shredded/American Singles...they are low on Sugar/Fat(what I look for.) They also have fat free American Singles in Kroger brand.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    I eat Camembert cheese and it is around 50 calories for a 1 inch cube. I eat it really slowly and it satisfies my cheese cravings.

I also love the Laughing Cow triangle things. though theyre less cheesy and more cream cheesy.
  • Briszler75
    Briszler75 Posts: 88 Member
    I like feta cheese in salads... yummy and I don't have dressing on it, just feta cheese, olives and salad. YUMMEH!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    It isn't a spreadable cheese but Cabot makes a 75% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese. I like the white version and use it on everything from eggs to veggies to crackers. I had a friend try it and she noticed a bit of a difference in taste but once I showed her the nutritional facts she was hooked!

http://www.cabotcheese.coop/pages/our_products/product.php?catID=6&id=7

Reduced Fat = Increased Sodium

You may be eating less fat, but you'll end up retaining more water. I second the "little bit of the real thing" sentiment.
  • roslynds9
    roslynds9 Posts: 139 Member
    Philidelphia extra light is really nice =) you can get it in little individual portion pots that are only 38cals but more than enough for two slices of bread.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    We get 2% slices and weight watchers shredded cheese...sure it adds calories but it's not like we use it with everything.