Late Night Snacking!

Options

Replies

• squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I eat later dinners...

there's obviously a lot of dispute about going to bed on a full stomach & whatnot, but I think that staying under my cals and not torturing myself with tv-hungry-snacky-time/going over because I DO snack is a BETTER alternative!
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I still have that problem too however, Dr. Oz suggested stop eating after 7:30 pm. I guess we are going to have to do it cold turkey. Chew on a straw, suck on some water through a straw, anythign to keep the mouth busy.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with late night snacking if you leave calories for it! Time you eat has no effect on weight loss; it's calories in vs. calories out!
    [I LOVE when I have 4 or 500 calories left over after dinner. I get cheese and crackers, popcorn. jello, chocolate covered oreos.... what I don't do any more is have a jethro bodine-sized bowl of cereal. I miss it but the small snacks make up for it and i manage to usually stay under goal]
  • BabyfatSarah
    Options
    I drink peppermint tea and if that doesn't do the trick, I always keep Weight Watcher frozen treats on hand. They are all 140 calories and less and always take care of my sweet cravings. If it's super bad, my go to snack is a 100 calorie English muffin with one Tablespoon of Nutella - I think this is about 160 calories or so. So basically what I'm saying it I don't have an answer as to how to curb those cravings...just some ideas on how to give into them without ditching the diet.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    recently discovered cuties. one small mandarin orange is 25 calories. have a couple and it staves off the snacking urge for hardly any calorie hit.
  • ashleylike
    ashleylike Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like the tea idea! I bought ice cream sandwiches that are 100 calories each, but then I find myself dissatisfied and wanting more. I would like to eat dinner and be done with food for the night!
  • jmrobison
    jmrobison Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything but fruit or veggies after 8pm. The first week is the hardest but after that you adapt and only want something every once in a while. Good luck!
  • Faulkner1978
    Options
    This is a very hard thing for me, too! I take a nightime med that causes me to wake up in the middle of the night and snack!! Still having a hard time with it if you guys have any solutions, i'd love to hear them too!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I love eating late at night and I love eating first thing in the morning. So I plan accordingly. Planning is the key to success.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    If you can get away with it, go to bed early!

Also, I find if I whiten my teeth - I don't want to get anything stuck in them after that so BONUS - white teeth and no late night snacking! :bigsmile:
  • chrisdykes
    Options
    I agree with all who mention "saving" calories. I HAVE to "backload" my calories so that I have 400 or 500 left after dinner. Plenty of filling snacks left before bedtime! It's much easier to eat light earlier in the day (for me) than late at night.
  • cathy46601
    Options
    This is going to sound pretty simple but it's me. I'm pretty cheap - shop with coupons and am ALWAYS looking for great deals. That said, I won't waste anything either. So, after dinner (or soon thereafter) I brush my teeth. And that's it. I won't eat again because I would have to brush my teeth AGAIN before going to bed. And, God forbid I waste any more toothpaste! haha! Good luck sweetz!
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hot tea works for me! Nothing in it (no sweetener or creamer)- curbs the craving!
  • ddebarnes
    ddebarnes Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always have a light snack before bed! 100 calorie ice cream bars seems to do the trick!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Beware of fruit! It may work for some people for a late night snack, but I've been warned from two different sources that say no fruit after 3:00pm because of their sugars.
  • saphira69
    Options
    water, tea, or if I really can't help it.. some yummy chocolate milk or dill pickles lol
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    We eat a late dinner in my house, so it's usually not too big of a deal. I do budget for two glasses of red wine every night, though. When the snacks are calling me, I ask myself, "Do I really want to give up my wine for boxed cookies?" With that comparison, the cookies almost never get touched.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just save some calories for your late night snack. As long as you don't go over your calories, there's no reason not to snack at night. If your body likes to eat late, just adjust your calories so that you can eat late. It's a lot simpler than wacky, contrived ideas to make yourself miserable by forcing yourself to do something else.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Preplanning my meals and snacks in advance...and having them ready at all time on my 11-8 job...My cut off for eating is 7...after lunch I am normally full but i get the rest in and I just dont have the desire to snack at night anymore...cause of all the eating i do all day! Maybe cut your eating into smaller portions and space them out evenly!
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i was so bad at that... i completely stopped.... lots and lots of herbal tea.... lots and keep yourself busy with stuff....haven't snacked in 2 months at night, once you stop it get easier and easier everyday....