What are some of your diet friendly FILLING foods?

Options
klb620
klb620 Posts: 28 Member
I could eat an entire bag of salad mix to myself (with about 200 extra calories in dressing and almond slivers and albacore tuna) and feel like I didn't eat a thing, hunger pains and all. Same for snacks......I munch on cucumber slices, before I know it, the whole cucumber is gone and I want something more.

So I am wondering, do you have any low calorie meals and/or snacks that help you feel full???? Please share! :-)

Replies

• Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Really good question...I have the same problem. I will eat my "healthy" lunch at work, and my stomach starts rumbling an hour later.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I made a big batch of chicken and veggie soup with a handful of pasta on the weekend - it's really filling and comes in around 250 cals for a big bowlful. YUM!
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    tomatoes

almond milk

fiber one cereal

low sodium water pack tuna

baby carrots

crystal lite beverage mix

splenda

low sodium rice cakes
  • Try eating a cup and a half of cottage cheese with half a cantelope and tell me that you're still hungry afterwards! LOL

Beans fill me up very easily as well....basically anything with a lot of protein in it keeps me full and satisfied for longer.

I also eat approximately 200 calories 5 to 6 times a day so I never allow myself to get hungry. Of course, they cannot be 200 empty calories you need to make sure that everything you put in your mouth is jam packed with nutrients to keep you going.
  • lorification
    lorification Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been choosing among these items if I'm hungry after lunch:

A banana (with natural peanut butter if I'm especially hungry).
    A mug of warm tea just to be sure that I'm not thirsty. Also, warm liquids make you feel more full.
    Greek yogurt.
    An orange.
  • kourtneydp
    Options
    apple and peanut butter
    cheese and crackers
    yogurt and banana
    anything in combination of a healthy carb and a protein will help you feel full and still maintain your goals

also water/coffee can fill you up
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    half an avocado with salt sprinkled on it is the best! weetabix with water or milk, love it! banana with one tablespoon almond butter!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    veggies with hummus - it's not that it's super-filling, but it does satisfy my "carb-tooth" when I've got a craving

popcorn - because I can eat six cups of it if I'm starving!!

a whole-grain tortilla spread with 2 tbsp peanut butter or Nutella, wrapped around a banana (makes a good snack or portable breakfast)

an apple cut up and eaten with slices off a block of hard cheese
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    im a sandwich person .. i make chicken sandwiches all the time using sandwich thins or bagel thins.. i also love burgers so i eat a lot of turkey burgers i make from ground turkey breast . oatmeal always fills me up for breakfast but i have it with a protein.. greek yogurt with berries is like a dessert for me .. i also love almond butter but not eating it till end of first week of march .. toasted bagel thin with almond butter and sugarless jam is really good for something sweet..big apples
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I don't feel full unless I have some X amount of something starchy. Still trying to figure out the X. Lentils and beans work very well for this. Having lots of fiber is hit or miss. Fiber + fat works well.

Sometimes nuts + fruit do the trick.

Greek yogurt works well. Especially the 2% variety.

Avocado is also very effective.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack lately: 5 almonds, 5 cherries and about 2 Tbsp of 4% cottage cheese. Eaten all together.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I try eating high protein and high fiber, keeps me full. A great, filling snack to me is an apple. Plus you gotta ask if a lot of it is more mental, you've trained your brain to think that's not enough food
  • Doomsprout
    Options
    shirataki noodles- they have 0 calories so i make a huge thing of soup with some vegetables and pig out. they are an acquired taste though.
  • kbeller88
    kbeller88 Posts: 139
    Options
    I seem to have this problem alot.

If you like sandwichs get a peanut butter and wheat bread sandwich..

The best thing though is drink a cup full of water, eat something and drink another cup of water...
    The first cup will satisfy your belly until the sandwich kicks in and the extra water will help even it out so that you stay fuller longer...
  • sunshinegirl2012
    Options
    water, water, water...

oatmeal with bananas-yummm
    bananas with almond/almond butter/peanut butter...just watch the servings because those are packed with calories/fat

adding rice to low cal veggie or chicken soup works pretty well too (:
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    what fills me up to be honest is to eat well. I do eat big salads, veggies, etc., but a nice rich and juicy peice of chicken or fish or beef is very satisfying and filling as well as healthy. So many of us bought into the idea that cutting way back on fats (especially animal fats) was and is the way to go. Not so I say!

Put some time and energy into cooking a nice meal including "meat' of some sort. don't be afraid of the fat content in it.

And rememmber the golden rule - Fat doesn't make you "fat" - excess grains, processed foods and bad carbs do! Enjoy life, food and appropriate fats!

Best of Luck :-)
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, a high fiber cereal like Honey Nut Cheerios, Kashi Good Friends or Go Lean Crunch. Other times during the day: hummus with veggies and/or brown rice crackers (I like Crunchmasters), black bean soup (I get Imagine Bistro Black Bean Bisque -- it has less sodium than most canned soups), Greek yogurt, spinach salad with tempeh, a hard boiled egg, low fat dressing, and imitation bacon bits.
  • val205
    val205 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My favourite is a huge bowl of vegie soup with chickpeas and lentils in it. I make it on water, powdered chicken stock, tinned tomatoes, dried red lentils and a tin of chickpeas and then throw in whatever vegies I can find. It's really low in cals and you can use it to help "fill up". I find I can usually have a bowl or two a day without it affecting my calorie intake too much and feeling like I'm eat well. I make a huge batch each week and then freeze half so when I need more it's already on hand.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    A giant bowl of air-popped popcorn. 6 cups of Jolly Time popped popcorn is only 120 calories. I buy the flavored toppings that are <5 calories per serving, spray with pam and put the toppings on. You can also use dill weed, sea salt and cracked pepper, pretty much anything in your spice cupboard. Check out my food diary for some options...I am nearly always full and eat healthy.
  • RimRK
    RimRK Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am always hungry or so it seems. Alot of the suggestions are fantastic on here, I find that having a protein really helps satisfy the hunger. If you are hungry right after a meal you should think of adjusting the protein and carb ratio. Personally, I make sandwiches from bagels and weight watchers bread that are full of spring salad, humus and a protein (chicken turkey, soy ) But like someone else mentioned, it will take time to discipline your brain and stomach hormones that this amount of food is enough:) Good luck!