Looking to drop 120 pounds this year.

Options
Hi. I'm new and have pretty big goals for weight loss this year. My plan is basically to exercise 5 days a week and cut calories to 1200-1500 a day. I know motivation will be the key for success. So if anyone wants to "team up" we can keep tabs on each and offer support add me as a friend. Good luck reaching your goals this year!

Replies

• jdawg1105
    jdawg1105 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Anyone is free to add me I am looking to lose 100 pounds this year

Jason
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I've lost 83 lbs so far and looking to drop another 100 this year. Here is to a thinner 2012!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hey Bailey, I just came form where you are starting. I started 2011 at around 315 and ended up 216.4 on New Years Eve. I need to lose another 20, but I intend to do it very slowly, probably the entire year. So, I hope you understand this info is coming from personal experience. I learned it the hard way and am trying to share it with all who will listen.

My suggestion- Eat more calories. Your endeavor is a marathon, not a sprint. You gotta pace yourself. 2000 calories is pretty rough for guys our size, on 1200-1500 you will likely be hungry constantly and your appetite and cravings will likely cause you to give up 4-8 weeks in. Let MFP give you a baseline to start. My guess is MFP will plan you out at 2300-2600 calories per day. That is not bad, but you still have to make good food choices. Bottom line, ask yourself "can I live with this for a year?" If you can't, you need to add calories. 2 lbs per week is a reasonable goal. Anyway, looking back, being on a diet for a year wasnt so bad, because I chose a diet I COULD LIVE WITH. As you get lighter you will have to eat even fewer calories to get the weight off. MFP had me down to about 1800 in the end.

Have one cheat meal per week. Not a "week of diet ruining blowout", but a nice cheat meal. If you've been craving pizza, eat a few slices, and throw the rest in the garbage. Don't put it in the fridge where it stares at you every time you open the door until you finally break down and eat it late one night. You want one day per week with about 3000-3500 calories ideally high in carbs and lower in fat. Google "Leptin" for more information.

You will loose muscle mass. It is pretty much inevitable when loosing 100 lbs. The rule of thumb is that 20% of your body weight lost will be lean body mass. My suggestion would be to try to minimize it. Eat a lot of protein daily (150gs plus) and do some basic resistance training 3X week. if you don't have weights, do squats, push ups, sit ups. Lift heavy things around the house. Use them or loose them.

Even though I am a carb junkie, my best success came when I limited my carbs somewhat. It helped reduce glucose roller coaster rides, insulin spikes, and their associated cravings.

Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!