eating healthy-- more like eating expensive!

Options

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I am a 22 year old college student who is going to go without a meal plan for the first time next semester. Each of our meal swipes are worth a certain amount of money, and I found myself grabbing chips, candy, sodas-- basically any not-so-good-for-you food I could find just to fill up the left over money I would have for one swipe. Needless to say, I definitely didn't need all of those extra calories, so I decided to skip the meal plan this time around and try cooking for myself. The only problem is that everything healthy is so expensive! I'm doing alright now because I am living at home for winter break and my parents are doing the food shopping, but I'm nervous that when I get back to school I am going to slip off course because I don't want to shell out the money for healthy food. Anyone have any suggestions about how to keep my belly (and my wallet) full while staying on track?

Yes, the adding fo the Freshman 15...
    Eating healthy is not expensive. Look for store options around...take a day, a shopping list (Keep it pretty short) and compare the different brands and the stores. Look for discount stores, and go from there. Remember, it's not all about what your intake is as it is about the amount of your intake. Yes, there are some things that you need watch, but overall, key is to remember is moderation.

Something simple and easy....Tuna fish, & eggs are cheap

Good luck, you can do it, if you put your mind and the time to it.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Look up Alton Brown's method for making brown rice. Comes out perfect every time!
  • VonRockette
    VonRockette Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    In some respect, maybe - but mostly a myth.

You mentioned you ate stuff like chips. Why not buy a lb of bananas for the same cost, if not cheaper?
  • ShoeZilla
    ShoeZilla Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    WinCo Foods!!!:bigsmile:
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I plan out my meals for the week on my MFP app, and then I make a list of only what I'm going to use, and then only shop for that stuff. It cuts down on costs a lot- before I would just try to buy a bunch of "healthy food" and end up having a lot of it spoil before I got to it.
  • emi1y15
    emi1y15 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone; a lot of great suggestions. I am definitely going to check out Costco and Trader Joe's. The only problem I see myself running into with buying in bulk is that I am sharing a fridge/freezer with 4 other girls, so space is scarce to say the least! haha
  • cbdavid21
    Options
    Oh, how I understand about the cost of food. I have 4 kids (1 husband...5th kid) who I have to feed. I try to make sure their meals are well balanced, but it is really much cheaper for us to stop at McDonald's for the 40 piece chicken nuggest meal deal. Everyone can eat for under $20.
    I love eating at Luby's cafeteria, but I really can't afford to eat there with my entire clan more than 1 a month sometimes.

I feel really guilty for only feeding my family junk food, but when I get home from work it is time to do homework, eat, take bathes, read stories...etc. I hope this new site will be the change we all need.
  • mokpochica
    mokpochica Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat more non-processed and organic food and it is definitely expensive. But, I've done some things to cut costs. I make my own bread, yogurt and soymilk now (with a breadmaker, crockpot and soymilk maker). I rarely eat at restaurants. I'm cutting out most meat from my diet and switching to beans, tofu and some seafood.

I also cut costs by not buying paper towels and cleaning supplies and switching to vinegar and baking soda. And like someone else said, not wasting so much food.

Maybe you can check craigslist for a crockpot? They are a great way to make cheap meals and very easy. I use this website a lot. http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Look at this Chart
    http://www.thelocalfarmstand.com/Local_Farmstand_FEATURES.html
    If it's in season, it's on sale. Plan around. :)

Also, some of my in-dorm tips:
    -Don't have treats, you'll eat it if you have it
    -Break up your meals. Don't eat big ones, Have a small snack in classes, a large snack out of classes, then dinner. It is easier to nibble in class then scarf down a big meal.
    -Focus. :)
    Good LUck
  • VonRockette
    VonRockette Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Also, buy in bulk, and buy frozen + canned if you can't afford to buy fresh. A lot of studies mention it being better for you any how with some foods because it;'s canned or frozen at it's peak nutritional value.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    it does seem expensive at first, but even just today I was thinking about how I get all upset this time of year when cucumbers are 99 cents each. I am like, $1 for one cucumber, that's crazy...then I realize that a year ago I would absolutely have paid 99 cents for one of those (2ish serving) bags of Doritos at the gas station and plowed it all down right there. So looking at something like that really brings it into perspective for two reasons...the cost is the same and I could probably get 2 or 3 snacks out of a cucumber, but the bag of chips...well, I'd probably eat all of that!

I never thought of it this way before! Thanks for giving me a new perspective that makes tons of sense :)
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You can eat cheap and healthy if you plan.
    Shop store deals and coupons. Seasonal produce is usually cheaper (and tastes better too). Stay away from the packaged junk - 100 calorie packs, cookies... instead make your own and package them in individual baggies so they are easy to grab. Portable lunch containers are your friend. Batch cook if you can - cook up some chicken breasts, boiled eggs, pot of black beans & rice - this will make for easy meals for the week.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Try this site for inspiration: http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/
    Everything she makes looks so yummy, and costs very little.
  • alishuman
    Options
    I'm not in school full time, so I have an advantage of time.... But... I feed our family for about $150 per week. That's two adults, 3 kids every night, and often more!

I would maybe ask your parents if they would gift you with a membership to BJs or Sam's wholesale clubs. (I prefer BJs - much better selection, more veggies and organic foods, and they take coupons!) Sure, you have to buy larger quantities, but freeze what you can and save it for the next week.

I would also suggest maybe taking one day to do a bunch of cooking, and make your own "TV Dinners." Target, and probably Walmart too, has divided freezer containers. There is a large spot for the entree, and two smaller spots to place veggies/sides in. Every night when I make dinner, I make an extra portion, and pack a meal in one of those containers, and pop it in the freezer. Then, my husband can bring it to work if he doesn't feel like packing a lunch the next morning, or the kids can eat them when it's date night for my husband & I.

You can also make a batch of healthy muffins, then wrap and freeze them individually. They stay fresh that way, and that's 12 mornings you can grab a muffin and a piece of fruit on the go.

And... eating healthy being more expensive... Really is just a myth. Tonight I paid $0.59 per pound for bananas. What are chips per pound? $3 and change?
  • Amandasteen3
    Options
    I couldn't resist replying to your post! I have a family of 5 with a teenaged daughter, a six year old daughter and one year old son. I'm at the grocery once a week and do very well to spend $160!! I try very hard to make a menu and stick to things I need for it, but the results are the same. I do not buy processed "wick and easy" meals. I usually try to buy frozen veggies because they are cheaper and I don't have to worry about wether or not they will ruin. I recently lost my job and we are barely making ends meet. However, my daughter struggles with her weight and I want to make sure she is eati g healthy as well. What suggestions could you give me? I'm all ears!!
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot of thinking on the eating healthy=eating expensive idea, and I don't think I agree with it. In a lot of ways, eating healthy is much cheaper than eating expensive, like eating less meat and more vegetables is way cheaper than eating more meat, eating leaner types and cuts of meat (because they can be tough), is cheaper than the "richer, more tender" fattier varieties. Likewise low fat milk is cheaper than whole fat (though I wouldn't go no fat because vitamins in milk are fat soluble). Eating at home is cheaper than eating out (anywhere, even the cheapie places like McDonald's and Taco Bell are much, much more expensive than making the same food at home). Whole grain products are not much more expensive than their white counterparts, and buying individual ingredients and making yourself a meal is much, much cheaper and healthier than buying preprocessed or pre-made ones.

There are really just a couple of unhealthy things which are so, so, so much cheaper than anything else that it sort of distorts our view, I think. Pasta is one example.

Eating healthy isn't too hard on a budget. One of my favorite things to do in college was to just get some refried beans and whole grain tortillas, and then some hot sauce and possibly cheese and make a burrito, nice, healthy, lean, whole protein, all good. Really any combination of a grain and legumes will give you a whole protein that is fairly healthy and cheap, and versatile. Rice and beans is a classic (especially if you go for brown rice!), eggs are healthy (two a day anyway) and cheap, frozen vegetables, too.

Lastly probably the best thing you can do to get things cheaper is to take advantage of sales. Coupons are good too but if you see something on sale cheap and you know you use it, stock up then don't buy it while it's full price, and spend that to buy stuff which is on sale, etcetera. You won't be able to get everything on sale always, but if you can make it a pattern, it's one of the biggest money saving things you can do.
  • roofie1978
    Options
    It's not as expensive as you think. If you add up how many times you eat fast food, premade foods, etc in a week it adds up. Groceries look like a lot of money because you're spending the money at once not little amounts through the week like if you eat out or grab snacks, coffee, etc. But check your local sales flyers and use coupons!!!!
  • aquamarine_lady
    Options
    Lots of the following:
    PB&J on sprouted grain bread
    Homemade bean soups and chili
    Homemade pasta (whole-grain) dishes
    Bananas
    Cabbage sauteed with onion
    Sweet potatoes
    Brown rice dishes
    Costco frozen fruit and veggies
    Oatmeal
    Homemade smoothies
    Costco raw nuts

I can and do eat healthy (mostly organic) food for under $100 per month.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Focus on fresh veggies and simple grains and you'll find yourself saving money :)
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    steering clear of prepared foods (which typically aren't healthy choices) helps to keep the groc bill down. eat fresh and when you buy sauces, spices and condiments make sure each one has multiple uses. example: grainy mustard can be used on sandwiches, in dressings, as a crust on pork or chicken, in a marinade, etc... tartar sauce, on the other hand, is primarily only used for fish.

make a list of proteins that you enjoy and are lean:

eggs (are your friend.. cheap, filling, nutrient full)
    chicken (dont be afraid to buy it on the bone, this will save you money and add flavor. ideally remove the skin before baking. buy family packs and break it up into portions you will consume and freeze what you arent using right away)
    tofu (affordable)
    beans (canned or dried.. super affordable)
    burger (buy in bulk, break up and freeze portions for later use)
    pork
    canned tuna and salmon
    dairy

veggies, fresh fruit and fresh herbs.. shop the perimeter (the more expensive items are toward the center of the produce aisle).. buy in bulk. i like to take mine home.. wash it right way and portion it out (except for onions, potatoes and garlic)

grains, breads and tortillas.. while i was in college i ate most of my sandwiches using either marble rye bread or corn tortillas for bread. grains and pastas are your friends.. buy them on sale and stock up.

pickled and canned goods are great affordable options too.. read labels for salt content.. some are awefully high. don't be afraid to buy off brand goods. SALSA..

carlo rossi chianti and livingston chardonnay.. without these two cheap table wines.. my drunken college memories would not be so fuzzy and warm.. they are both cheap.. and when you're young.. wont give you a hang over.. over indulge.. also... remember pitchers of beer are a good thing when working on a budget...

your first trip or two to the store will be expensive, but after you get your rhythm of what you are eating, plan your meals out.. you wont be restocking your cupboards everytime you go to the store. you will just be filling in the gaps and buying a treat every now and then..