how often do you weight yourself?

Options
I weighted myself today and gained a pound, lol small amount yes. But I am generally not pleased. I feel like i've been working out all week I should have a tiny result.

So how often do you weight yourself? Should I box my scale away in order to avoid the temptation to weight myself at any given opportunity?

Replies

• sykin
    sykin Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a day - once when I get up, once just before bed. I used to only log it on Fridays, but now I log every day. it helps me keep track of what I'm eating and how it affects my weight more.
  • MasonMelissa
    MasonMelissa Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week and I try to do it on the sameday and at the same time that is the best way to judge how you are doing.If you do it everyday you may have had a little extra salt that is causing you to retain water.

12446860.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • fguillory
    fguillory Posts: 291
    Options
    Hmmm....

I think I will try that. I weight myself yesterday and I was 347.0 and today 348.0

But I did weight myself yesterday in the morning and I did just eat dinner. *sigh*
  • Canadien
    Canadien Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Never weighed myself, never will. I will not see my progress in a number.
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    i step on the scale first thing after my morning tinkle... :D everyday, but i log it weekly :D
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm not at a fitness level yet to strap weights to myself.

I used to weigh myself once per week. Now, I weigh myself once per month.
  • Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning at home, and at the weight loss clinic every second day. I only update my weight on here with the every second day weigh ins though.

I used to weigh myself 50 times a day... became an obsession.
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost daily but don't beat myself up over small fluctuations throughout the week. One thing I would recommend is weighing yourself at the same time everyday to keep things consistent.
  • Diandra81
    Diandra81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I weighted myself today and gained a pound, lol small amount yes. But I am generally not pleased. I feel like i've been working out all week I should have a tiny result.

So how often do you weight yourself? Should I box my scale away in order to avoid the temptation to weight myself at any given opportunity?

I weigh myself daily. You should weigh yourself at the same time everyday. The best time, in my opinion, is in the morning after you've urinated and before you shower or eat breakfast.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    used to be weekly, but that was too demoralizing. I bought a bf% tester (omron) and am using that instead from here on out!
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    once, maybe twice a WEEK..
  • Astrowife68
    Options
    I also weigh everyday. But I also noticed when I eat beef, in the evening for supper, the next day I weigh a litt more than the day before. I have also heard that it takes 2 days for the beef to leave your system. And i have noticed this to be true, so I try not to weigh myself the next day. Good luck, on your journey. :-}
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Personally, I weigh myself daily. It has helped me to understand my body's fluctuations so that I don't get discouraged when it rises or refuses to fall -- I've noticed patterns based on what I eat and hormones, etc. Some folks do find that discouraging, but I like numbers and I like to see what makes them appear. :P
  • groxyy
    groxyy Posts: 14
    Options
    I know your not supposed to but I usually do it daily Mon-Fri on the scale in the gym at my work. I like to see how what I did the day before affect the number.
  • halleygruber
    Options
    Once a week, at the same time each week.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Weekly. However, I'm trying not to pay so much attention to it anymore since I have been doing weights..

More or less, the scale is an instrument that can help you. I think it's more important how you feel physically/emotionally, and how your clothes fit. I remember losing weight, and always feelin good when I could drop another pants size.
  • sweetseraph7
    Options
    i weigh myself everytime i go near my fridge, that way it discourages me from eating!!!!
  • Chevitz
    Chevitz Posts: 46
    Options
    Personally, I weigh myself daily. It has helped me to understand my body's fluctuations so that I don't get discouraged when it rises or refuses to fall -- I've noticed patterns based on what I eat and hormones, etc. Some folks do find that discouraging, but I like numbers and I like to see what makes them appear. :P

This is absolutely me too.
  • StephanieBLucas7
    Options
    I weigh once a week (usually Wednesday) in the morning before I get dressed. When you weigh yourself, remember that you always weigh less on the morning, clothes and shoes always add weight, and a persons weight can fluctuate 2-4lbs on a daily basis . If its just one pound, although it can be very discouraging, stay positive because it could be something as simple as water weight.
    :smile:
  • JoyBellz
    JoyBellz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself weekly, on the same day, around the same time. I recently read something that said not only should you weigh yourself, but you should also measure. Muscle weighs more than fat so if you are working out, you might have replaced some of that fat with muscle resulting in a higher number on the scale. BUT you might have lost inches. It makes sense and it might help you to not be so discouraged if you have worked really hard at working out and eating right, only to see that number on the scale go up.