BMI is a joke

Options
So if you plug my height//weight/age in to the BMI calculator it says that my normal weight range should be from about 128-174 pounds.

Well, I went to use a Bod Pod today and found out that my fat free mass (bone/muscle/organs/etc) is 205 pounds.

Pretty safe to say that I am not going to reach 0 body fat and lose 30 pounds of muscle.

Replies

• jrgold
    jrgold Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    so then what would ur body fat percentage be?
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    To fit in the BMI scale my body fat percentage would have to be ZERO. I weigh 205 not counting the fat. No way I could physically reach 174.

As it is unfortunately I am in the 420's now at 51% body fat. But since I used to be 530 I will take it.. for now!
  • jrgold
    jrgold Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Interesting. i think bmi is just a guideline, body fat percentage matters more. at least you HAVE muscle though already.
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    BMI should be used for aggregate - like assessing the health of a population.

BMI for an individual should really only be used as a starting point and more accurate metrics like the bod pod should be used when you get closer to a 'healthy BMI'.
  • Pebbles536
    Options
    Interesting. i think bmi is just a guideline,

Don't tell my Dr. that. I was 175 (5'6') she said I was OBESE and had to lose 30 pounds. That was 4 years and I could give anything to be 175lbs again. :embarassed: I'm now 280.
  • spazzticaunt
    Options
    BMI for me is a tricky thing. I don't completely understand it although I do think that its a fat vs muscle ratio more than anything.

I was told by someone that you do need some fat but its the "good" fat that you need not the "bad" fat. But I still don't understand what he's actually talking about, but I do know that I think its impossible to have absolutely NO body fat and all muscle.

its just my opinion
  • spazzticaunt
    Options

Don't tell my Dr. that. I was 175 (5'6') she said I was OBESE and had to lose 30 pounds. That was 4 years and I could give anything to be 175lbs again. :embarassed: I'm now 280.

I always bounced between 165 and 180 as a teen and young adult and no doctor of mine told me I was obese just a little over weight which was completely manageable and liveable for them. It wasn't until my hypothyroid kicked in that they started flipping out cause at one point I had gained as much as 18lbs within a 2 week time frame.

And that was when I was walking 3 miles a day AND walking from one end of the city to the other with no hesitation.
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options

A lot of doctors still believe things that have long been debunked. Doesn't mean all docs are bad though. Many keep up with latest health science information.
  • kala_rebecca
    Options
    I've heard that before, too. I just used it as a guideline to determine my "goal weight", and I'll adjust my healthy weight once I get closer to goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    To fit in the BMI scale my body fat percentage would have to be ZERO. I weigh 205 not counting the fat. No way I could physically reach 174.

As it is unfortunately I am in the 420's now at 51% body fat. But since I used to be 530 I will take it.. for now!
    Find out what your lean body mass is, then divide it by 20 minus the actual body fat percentage you'd like to be. This will be your goal weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/304029-a-quick-way-to-figure-out-your-ideal-weight?error_user_id=9285851&error_username=ninerbuff&hl=find+your+lean+body+mass+and+divide+that+
  • mshidden
    mshidden Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That is Great Progress, going form 530 to 420, it all about taking it off, don't worries about ideal numbers yet. Your focuses should be about going in the right direction. Set you 12 month goal and shoot for it. Realistically it will take you more then a year to take off what you have put on. I really hope you stick with the program, I really want to talk about your BMI when your 215 lbs. Show me those abs, if you have abs at 215 lb I will give you a $100 bucks. It can been done, and It will be worth every penny. Good luck.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I think bmi is good as a starting point for someone but it isn't the best measure if you are already healthy. It gave me the much needed kick up the bum I needed to make changes in my life. I was completely in denial until my Dr told me I was at the high end of obese so it does have its uses
  • tashaeastland
    tashaeastland Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't agree w bmi either...u don't know what those numbers are based of off
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    As others said, they are definitely guidelines. I'm 5'1, a few years ago I got down to 125, and was TINY TINY...originally when I saw my doctor a year earlier at 135 she told me to aim for 112. o.o
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm supposed to be between 165-195 pounds. Lol BMI is a crock. Please tell me how people that have a BMI of 30 and a bodyfat % of 5-10 are obese.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Bad Misleading Information
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I found this site that uses body types to classify what you should look like/weigh. There is ectomorph, which are naturally skinny, can't easily gain weight; mesomorphs, who can lose weight fairly easily by exercise and a good diet; and endomorphs, who are predisposed to have a lot of body fat and for whom it's very difficult to lose weight. You can fall into two categories, for instance, I display both Mesomorphic and Endomorphic qualities. I haven't actually gotten the tape measure to see where I am (it measures your actual frame) but from what I've read, this is more reliable and accurate than BMI.
    That being said, I'm not an expert. :>
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    BMI for me is a tricky thing. I don't completely understand it although I do think that its a fat vs muscle ratio more than anything.

I was told by someone that you do need some fat but its the "good" fat that you need not the "bad" fat. But I still don't understand what he's actually talking about, but I do know that I think its impossible to have absolutely NO body fat and all muscle.

its just my opinion

You are correct, your body requires some fat around internal organs, other for regulation.
    And if the body goes to low, it will start breaking muscle down for energy to spare the fat. Because if you have gotten to that point the body thinks there is trouble ahead, better hold on to a great energy source, and shut this metabolism down to slow mode.
    Of course, getting to that point is mighty difficult, as most would fool the body into sparing the fat while it actually has plenty to spare.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, what is your height? And what calculator did you use to figure out your BMI?
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    BMI is accurate for the average person. Most people don't weight train or work out like crazy so aren't going to be lopsided on the muscle side of things.