When to stop eating before bed

Options
2»

Replies

• briocktj
    briocktj Posts: 128
    Options
    I have always heard not past 7 p.m. as everything you eat after 7 turns to fat, but lately I have heard that that is not true, that there really isnt a time to stop... so I would say as long as you are eating healthy.... anytime is okay
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I realize that once you eat your needed amount of calories that's it..but WHEN to eat them?

If you eat 3 hours before bed, lets say you eat at 7pm and go to bed at 10pm and wake at 6am and eat by 7am....so you would not eat anything for 12 hours.

The eat hours before bed mindset argues that when you sleep you are only burning a minimal amount of calories and your metabolism slows down naturally, that when you eat and then sleep your body will just store it as fat, and that upon waking you will not be hungry and have a chance of skipping breakfast...therefor losing the metabolic boost you get when you eat breakfast.

The eat closer to bed mindset argues that doing this is bad because your body could go into a catabolic state and after keeping food from your body for such an extensive period of time that when you do eat when you wake up that your body has a bigger chance of storing the food as fat.

From reading all these things I kinda fall in the middle category....eat something light about an hour before bed, don't go to bed feeling full but don't go to bed on a completely empty stomach either....what do you guys think?

You're over complicating this. A website that pops up on a Google search is as relevant as "some guy said...." Just eat less foods, keep it mostly healthy, and try to get active.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    i was giving advice, not scientific information
    Noted, but when giving advice it should have some good actual evidence (not anecdotal) to support it. If someone actually questioned why you believe eating after 7pm has the food turn to fat, how do you support that proof?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I realize that once you eat your needed amount of calories that's it..but WHEN to eat them?

If you eat 3 hours before bed, lets say you eat at 7pm and go to bed at 10pm and wake at 6am and eat by 7am....so you would not eat anything for 12 hours.

The eat hours before bed mindset argues that when you sleep you are only burning a minimal amount of calories and your metabolism slows down naturally, that when you eat and then sleep your body will just store it as fat, and that upon waking you will not be hungry and have a chance of skipping breakfast...therefor losing the metabolic boost you get when you eat breakfast.

The eat closer to bed mindset argues that doing this is bad because your body could go into a catabolic state and after keeping food from your body for such an extensive period of time that when you do eat when you wake up that your body has a bigger chance of storing the food as fat.

From reading all these things I kinda fall in the middle category....eat something light about an hour before bed, don't go to bed feeling full but don't go to bed on a completely empty stomach either....what do you guys think?
    After countless hours researching scientific peer reviewed study,I know it's a myth unless several other peer reviewed studies show a possible opposition. Haven't seen one yet. Have seen a lot of blogs and articles, but not peer reviewed study.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    ive heard between 7-8pm. you want to stop eating because you aren't active at night usually, and it will all turn to fat....

this
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Then you are saying that it doesn't matter if you eat 3 hours before bed or 3 minutes....that just doesn't seem right to me. I am not trying to over complicate things, I just want to know how it works correctly. I am making a great effort to adopt a healthy lifestyle that includes eating in ways that is beneficial to my body and cutting out ways that are harmful....

Yes, I researched this on the internet, which is why I posted this topic because all the information is contradictory. I was hoping for a discussion on it with people offering what works for them and what doesn't...actual experience has to count for something.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    ive heard between 7-8pm. you want to stop eating because you aren't active at night usually, and it will all turn to fat....

this

Read my name out loud. There's my rebuttal.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Neither the time of day nor my sleep schedule have ever made a difference. I just stop eating when I run out of calories!!! :laugh:
  • ninerbuff
    Options

this
    Untrue. Research has proven it to be false. Time to know the truth.

IDEA Fitness member
  • hunnyspice
    hunnyspice Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Personally I try to stop eating at least half an hour before I go to bed. If I wait too long and start getting hungry then I'll wake up ravenous and overeat in the morning.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Then you are saying that it doesn't matter if you eat 3 hours before bed or 3 minutes....that just doesn't seem right to me. I am not trying to over complicate things, I just want to know how it works correctly. I am making a great effort to adopt a healthy lifestyle that includes eating in ways that is beneficial to my body and cutting out ways that are harmful....

Yes, I researched this on the internet, which is why I posted this topic because all the information is contradictory. I was hoping for a discussion on it with people offering what works for them and what doesn't...actual experience has to count for something.
    What works for some may not work for others, that's a given. At least with science there is testing done to confirm findings. It's up to the person to believe the science behind it or not.
    I tell my clients the same thing I say here. And they aren't having any night time binge issues of extra fat being stored. In fact they are all losing!

IDEA Fitness member
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry, I eat. I've even gotten out of bed at night to eat. However, I do only eat if I'm truly hungry, because sleeping on an empty-ish stomach seems to give me better rest.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options

Fine, I've lost weight, and I don't give a **** what time of day it is. If I'm hungry, I eat. There's your anecdotal evidence.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Options
    Also, how do you people that stop eating after the evening news do anything at night? So if a friend wants to go out for a drink, it has to be between 6am and 7pm?
  • Goldenbast
    Goldenbast Posts: 227 Member
    Options

Fine, I've lost weight, and I don't give a **** what time of day it is. If I'm hungry, I eat. There's your anecdotal evidence.

Why are you getting so defensive and almost belligerent? I asked an honest question and for all the scientific study and such you keep blathering on about, you have not offered a scientific quote on why it is all a myth. If you don't like the topic or the responses then don't post...no need to snap at me or the other posters, sheesh.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Why are you getting so defensive and almost belligerent? I asked an honest question and for all the scientific study and such you keep blathering on about, you have not offered a scientific quote on why it is all a myth. If you don't like the topic or the responses then don't post...no need to snap at me or the other posters, sheesh.

This is a myth that we have all heard repeated here many, many times. I think that some people get frustrated when they have to refute the same myth over and over. Seriously, though, time of day makes no difference.
  • kellylara93
    Options

Exactly.
  • happyhiram
    Options
    Your body doesn't know what time it is. It burns the same amount of calories at night as it does during the day (unless you're more active during the day). It doesn't matter when you when you eat as long as your calories and nutrients have been met for the day.
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Eating at 7pm or 11pm (or whatever time it is you go to bed) wont effect your ability to lose weight as long as your eating under maintenance. People will believe what they want, especially if not eating 3 hours before bed will force the weight to just drop off you. Simple truth is, as long as what you consume over a 24hr period is not exceeding your calorie limit, you wont gain fat. Energy doesnt instantly turn to fat the moment you go to sleep, your metabolism doesnt shut down.
  • SLT01
    SLT01 Posts: 58
    Options
    I also work night shift, start @ 12 and off by 8 am. I like to eat about an hour before I go to bed, usually its after my morning workout. I just try and make sure I am under my calorie goal, and not eat my exercise calories back. It has worked for me so far!