Body Fat Percentage scare!

Options
So as ive said in past post i started on the 28th Nov 2011 weighing in at 79.9kilos today i weigh in at 73kilos and i have been
quite concerned as scales say ive lost 7kilos but i dont look or feel any different and my measurements have barely changed.
so i wandered about body fat % so i used a online calc and i put in my old weight ect to see what it used to be and it gave me

RESULTS
Body Fat % :35.98
Fat Weight: 28.4 KILOGRAMS
Lean Weight 50.6KILOGRAMS

and then i put my new details in and it gave me

Body Fat: 39.61%
Fat Weight:28.9 KILOGRAMS
Lean Weight 44.1 KILOGRAMS

So basically its saying ive lost muscle not fat! im devistated! whats the point in working out and eating right when im not losing weight!!!

Replies

• flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    So... It says you have lost 6 kg of muscle mass (or bones perhaps)?

Look, I mean no offense and this is assuming you weren't an athlete before starting MFP, but it is highly unlikely you had that much muscle mass to lose in the first place (what I mean is that if you just started exercising, there is no muscle to lose at this stage, you are just building it).

I would redo the calculations personally, or perhaps you did them wrong in the first place. You can also focus on clothes size, measurements in inches/cm etc to see your progress.

Also, don't forget about water that can have a big influence.
  • Weezieishness
    Weezieishness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Which body fat calculator did you use, out of curiosity? Also, I wouldn't worry about that too much. If you're exercising enough regularly, over time it's going to balance out into burning fat instead of muscle. Your body tends to fluctuate a bit so you need to take the results over quite a long period before you can be really sure.
  • lillybug11
    Options
    yeh i did it over and over and it says the same thing :( my clothes, measurements ect are all the same... i seriously dont feel different.. worst feeling ever
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    obviously you have lost weight.

7 kgs worth.

those online calcs are crap. There is no way to tell how much body fat % or LBM you have through an online calc. DEXA is the gold standard in measuring body fat %. even those bio-impedence devices are better than online calcs.

if you have been lifting fairly heavy weights, and eating enough calories, there is no way you've lost that much muscle mass.
    even if you havent been, you'd still be losing body fat along with muscle mass.

noticing a 15 lb fat loss on a 200 lb person is different than noticing a 15 lb fat loss on a 130 lb person. everyone loses fat in different places. just because you havent lost inches around your waist doesnt mean you havent lost size other places. in women its usually upper body first.
  • lillybug11
    Options
    i used http://www.freedieting.com/tools/body_fat_calculator.htm

stressing cause i need to lose 25kilos in 6months
  • lillybug11
    Options
    ive been working out doing cardio and weights but im not fit so its not like ive been going great.. but i have been doing it 5-6times a week.. im slowly increasing my fitness and changing my routine alot.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Got to be totally wrong it says 44% for me. I have been using the scales in the chemist and have gone from 35% -25%. Not claiming its spot on, but would say its more accurate.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Did you fill in that site using the waist measurement or with calipers?

Basing a body fat on just a waist measurement can't possibly be accurate, you'd need at least a few measurements from different parts of the body.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Pick up a cheap set of calipers to get much more accurate measurements, they're dirt cheap on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BODY-FAT-TESTER-CALIPERS-MANUAL-BODY-FAT-CHARTS-/120756254812?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Dieting_Slimming_ET&hash=item1c1da2385c
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Did you fill in that site using the waist measurement or with calipers?

Basing a body fat on just a waist measurement can't possibly be accurate, you'd need at least a few measurements from different parts of the body.

^^^ that

I have a massive belly :( and too skinny everything else.
  • cheekyleonie
    cheekyleonie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Pick up a cheap set of calipers to get much more accurate measurements, they're dirt cheap on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BODY-FAT-TESTER-CALIPERS-MANUAL-BODY-FAT-CHARTS-/120756254812?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Dieting_Slimming_ET&hash=item1c1da2385c

A "do it yourself" calipers test won't be very acurate!!!!!

I suggest OP you go consult a Dr, or Personal Trainer
  • lillybug11
    Options
    nah i didnt i just did my details... hope it is wrong!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Body fat is notoriously hard to measure accurately - I wouldnt get too worked up about a quick and dirty online approximation.
  • AngelTwin27
    AngelTwin27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If you go to a gym, ask someone there if they can do a proper check on site or if they can recommend somewhere to you.

Me and a group of friends get our BF % checked regularly at our gym - it takes less than five minutes and has got to be more accurate than an online calculator! It's just a case of stepping on some scales and inputting some basic data, then you get a print out and you can keep it for future reference...

It sounds to me like you have a similar routine to me and are around the same weight as me too! :-) I definitely lost a lot of body fat when I started.

You must talk to someone professional - it will make you feel better! :-)