Diet soda

Options
I recently delivered my first child and during the pregnancy was addicted to soda. I've decided to switch to dirt soda which is 0 calories and 0 carbs. Is there something I'm missing? I know it's too good to be true. I noticed the amount of sodium which is a lot but is it that detrimental to losing weight?!

Replies

• avarotsis
    avarotsis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will tell you to try and get off it, for a variety of reasons, but scientifically, it seems to be pretty much fine. The only proven problem is the acidity levels might be bad for your teeth. I've also heard some people say that it will make your insulin spike, and so make you hungrier, but meh. It definitely won't directly hurt your weight loss.
    However, it might encourage your sweet tooth, which will make you crave more sugar.

But hey, I down 3 diet cokes a day, and I'm doing fine :P
  • TamarNaomi
    Options
    I am a diet gingerale junkie! I need to drink more water but I don't think a few cups of diet soda a day will hurt!
  • chrisc16
    Options
    The sodium levels in diet drinks in fairly low (diet coke/pepsi have 40 mg), so salt-wise you should be fine. Water is best, but diet drinks are probably fine in moderation.
  • MsRoxbury
    Options
    I have heard that artificial sweeteners in diet sodas cause you to crave more sugar and more food. People who drink diet sodas have a more difficult time losing weight.
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Well, one thing is that there is a lot of suggestion that artificial sweetners cause mood swings, brain tumours, memory loss and fits / seizures.

Personally I dont touch anything with sweeteners in because as far as I can see they were only approved for food use once Donald Rumsfeld (ex Chairman of Searle who developed aspartame) vowed to call in his markers to get it approved (and get a nice share bonus in the process). Prior to that, the FDA had banned its use.

Newer sweeteners may be less damaging, but to date, I've not come across any that do not appear to have side effects.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I don't buy the whole diet sodas cause you to crave more sugar. At least not for me. I am a diet mtn. dew fiend. The only thing helping me drop the pounds is discipline to eat what i need and exercise more.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I drink water usually except for 1 can of pepsi max with dinner, I have not noticed any problem with losing weight but do note the comment about looking after your teeth - my nephew used to drink lots of sugar free juice and the dentist has now banned him from going anywhere near them, he is only 15 and his teeth look terrible!
  • katcj
    katcj Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have heard that artificial sweeteners in diet sodas cause you to crave more sugar and more food. People who drink diet sodas have a more difficult time losing weight.

I wonder whether this is just because people that drink sweet drinks like this just generally tend to have a sweet tooth and therefore find it harder because they do crave more sweet things. My husband drinks one or two cans of diet cola/lemonade every day and he loses weight more easily than I do so I don't think it's all people that drink these drinks that have a hard time losing weight. My personal opinion is like a pp said above, drunk in moderation they certainly can't do any harm, providing you're including them in your food diary (not that they use up much of your allowance......). Water is better, but if you aren't going to drink water you need to drink something else instead. xx
  • miss_ally08
    miss_ally08 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I do believe that artificial sweeteners can cause you to crave sugar more versus natural sugars (ie: fruit), however, I think everything is okay in moderation. I drink splenda with my coffee every morning and other than that nothing but water. I do have an occasional diet soda when I have a craving but I just don't seem to like soda anymore so I don't drink it :)
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I've decided to switch to dirt soda

Well now, I've never actually had dirt soda, but I have to imagine that whether it's good for you or not, it can't taste all that good. :bigsmile:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I recently delivered my first child and during the pregnancy was addicted to soda. I've decided to switch to dirt soda which is 0 calories and 0 carbs. Is there something I'm missing? I know it's too good to be true. I noticed the amount of sodium which is a lot but is it that detrimental to losing weight?!
    Nothing bad to report that's definitive.
    ENJOY!

I choose not to drink any type of sodas, because I just don't trust what those companies are lacing these products with.
    Water with lemon is better than all that caffeine and chemical sweetener for sure.

Again, that's my choice and opinion.
    Take it with a grain of salt.
  • natashahunt2010
    Options
    I've been drinking soda since I was old enough to hold a can on my own. If it hadn't been for diet I don't know what I would do cause I can't give it up. My teeth are fine tho, I brush and floss twice a day. Drink a can or glass of soda a day, I don't think it will hurt anything. :)
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I do not have any suggestions just a question:

What is "dirt soda"?

Oh sorry....I see that it should read "diet".
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    there's a lot of info on the web covering years of data about aspartame, and I know that for me, it aggravates my arthritis and other aches and pains. Aspartame is the #1 used sweetener and is in nearly everything labeled Sugar Free. I drink diet cokes sweetened with Splenda which don't seem to affect me in the same way amd don't have that chemical aftertaste. I have one on most days, occasionally two in one day. of course, I'm not losing as fast as I want either (who does?) so who knows. The studies have even reversed all the bad stuff about saccarin but that's almost impossible to find anymiore. Apparently the aspartame lobby is huge and powerful and paid huge money to be approved in spite of negative reports. Google "sweet poison" for links to aspartame articles.
  • diam0nddagger
    Options
    Personally I don't touch sodas (except for a treat/ night out), it makes me shudder to think what's in them. I know a few folk that genuinely think diet coke to be addictive and get headaches etc if they try to stop! Or so they say ;)