Eliptical Machines

Options
I'm going shopping for an eliptical machine this weekend. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which type gives the best workout? I will welcome any input!
Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals don't "give" workouts. It's about what YOU put into it.

I wouldn't even consider one with a non-sale price under $700 because they're usually pretty crappy and loud after only one or twi uses. Other than that, try different ones in the store. They all have very different strides and one may feel better than another for you.

I have iffy knees and the one I really wanted hurt my knees when I got on it.
  • chenoamac
    chenoamac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have one.. we got it about 7 years ago and we are still using it.. I use it about 3-4 times a week it is great home gym machine to use.
  • texancountess
    Options
    I would second trying out all the elliptical machines in the store. Everyone likes a different feel. My husband put one together for my in-laws over Christmas - they love it and he hates it, because he prefers the wheel at the back and not the front. Do you prefer a gliding motion, more of an up-down motion, or what?

Another thing is to remember that you do get what you pay for. And also, if you can, get it pre-assembled and delivered. It took my husband and his brother (both USAF and athletes) to wrangle that thing into the basement and get it put together. No way my in-laws could have done it on their own.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i got a pro form a month ago and love it. It's a bit cheaper ( under 1000). as i was told, you should stick to around 1000 or over for quality but i just couldn't bring myself to spend that much if this was only a fad i was going through. I wanted one that had a few programs in it and a adjustable stride plus a heavier fly wheel. this machine gave me all that. there is a lot of crappy ones, so don't spend less then 500 for sure... so far, i am very happy with it, just over a month later and using it daily!
  • michele_lynn
    michele_lynn Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a model or two older than this one: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-StrideTrainer-310-Elliptical/17164465

and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I'm only 4'11" and feel the stride is perfect (hubby is 6' and feels a bit cramped.) My dad and husband put it together in an hour or so, and after a year of use, no squeaks or problems whatsoever!!
  • Happyhappy352
    Options
    I bought a gold’s gym one and its JUNK!! Stay away!!
  • rml_16
    Options
    i got a pro form a month ago and love it. It's a bit cheaper ( under 1000). as i was told, you should stick to around 1000 or over for quality but i just couldn't bring myself to spend that much if this was only a fad i was going through. I wanted one that had a few programs in it and a adjustable stride plus a heavier fly wheel. this machine gave me all that. there is a lot of crappy ones, so don't spend less then 500 for sure... so far, i am very happy with it, just over a month later and using it daily!

My ProForm was $700 (on sale for $500). I've had it four years and use it a ton and it's still in great shape, except the fan stopped working a few months ago. I don't miss it.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I bought a Nordic Track elliptical with the iFit system for my gf. I loved it! We broke up. Damn I miss that elliptical.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Nordic Track elliptical from Sears...(after 4 yrs it broke)..I will say part of that may have been b/c it was stored in the garage.

I've thought about buying another one. If I did I'd go with a Live Strong 13.0. (expensive yes...but you get what you pay for). We have the higher end Live strong treadmill and LOVE it!!

Happy Shopping!
  • AndreaDaPrincess
    AndreaDaPrincess Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My sister mentioned that she is looking at one on QVC that is inexpensive, but will do for her what she needs. Treadmills pound her bunion to death and she needs the gliding motion instead.
  • rml_16
    Options
    My sister mentioned that she is looking at one on QVC that is inexpensive, but will do for her what she needs. Treadmills pound her bunion to death and she needs the gliding motion instead.

Tell her NO!!!! It's probably the same one (or equivalent) that I got. It was AWFUL. I was at Sears three days later buying a new one and sold the QVC one for $50 just to get rid of it.