So tired after working out...

Options
I've started a new routine begin of January: 3 days of lifting (mostly compound moves like deadlift, squats + some light cardio) and 2 days of cardio only (running 25min on treadmill). Since then, I'm litterally shattered for the rest of the day after working out! Since I work out in the morning, it's a bit of a problem! By the time the evening comes, I just want to go to bed but I still want to spend time with my partner...

I'm not under the impression I'm overtraining (I'm not lifting that heavy). I'm 5"5, 130 lbs, 33 yo, eating 1500 cals net a day (mostly clean but have a soft spot for chocolate). Am i doing something wrong? Is it just a matter of time before I adapt to the new routine?

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Is getting up early in the morning to work out new to you? I know I sure as hell can't do that more than once a week without falling asleep on my keyboard at work and typing pHG#hjp#h~I9H~p with my face :smile: Hence I do all my workouts after work, lunchtime if I'm going to be busy and mornings only on weekends.

If not, it could be the new routine. It's still early days, but if things haven't improved in another week or so, make one of your treadmill sessions a recovery run, or swap it for a fast walk instead.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I was having that problem then added a good dose of protein before my workout and front loaded my calories a bit more at the beginning of the day and that helped a ton. During the week my workouts or right after work so I take a high protein snack to work and eat it right before I leave for the gym. You might not be giving your body enough fuel to deal with the workout. How's your deficit on workout days?
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    @BerryH
    Is getting up early in the morning to work out new to you? I know I sure as hell can't do that more than once a week without falling asleep on my keyboard at work and typing pHG#hjp#h~I9H~p with my face :smile: Hence I do all my workouts after work, lunchtime if I'm going to be busy and mornings only on weekends.

If not, it could be the new routine. It's still early days, but if things haven't improved in another week or so, make one of your treadmill sessions a recovery run, or swap it for a fast walk instead.

I don't work at the moment so I don't wake wake up earlier than usual. I drop the kiddo at daycare and head for the gym. I'm a bit more physically active than before (my newfound freedom is filled with cleaning up/throwing away old stuff) but not by much. I used to work out 6 days a week but I feel it wouldn't be resonable so I'm on a 1 day lifting - 1 day cardio - 1 day off schedule.

I probably have no other choice than waiting to see if things get less tiring, I guess!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I was having that problem then added a good dose of protein before my workout and front loaded my calories a bit more at the beginning of the day and that helped a ton. During the week my workouts or right after work so I take a high protein snack to work and eat it right before I leave for the gym. You might not be giving your body enough fuel to deal with the workout. How's your deficit on workout days?

TDEE is estimated between 1900 and 2100 cals depending on source. I eat around 1700 cals on workout days and 1500 on rest days. I guess i could eat a little bit more if things don't get better!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week. I think it's just a matter of getting used to the new routine.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I used to finish workouts really exhausted as well before I started eating before and after. Now, for most days I have about 200 calories of carbs before and 200 calories of protein afterwards. Really helps with energy through the workout and recovery afterward.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Rest is important. If the workout is higher in intensity, then of course you'll be more tired. Kids are the same. If they play hard, they sleep more. Don't feel guilty about needing rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition