Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Can't shift those last few pounds

Despite losing 23 pounds in the last year, I can''t shift the last 10 pounds - v annoying!!! Now on 1000 calories a day, protein and fruit, and nothing for about 6 weeks moving off my body. Doing about 300 calories on exercise a day - aerobic and toning. Getting frustrating. What are the options? All help and advice happily received!

Thanks
xx

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Despite losing 23 pounds in the last year, I can''t shift the last 10 pounds - v annoying!!! Now on 1000 calories a day, protein and fruit, and nothing for about 6 weeks moving off my body. Doing about 300 calories on exercise a day - aerobic and toning. Getting frustrating. What are the options? All help and advice happily received!

Thanks
    xx

Stunted metabolism. Eat more, lift more.
  • sweetaddict123
    sweetaddict123 Posts: 116 Member
    shock your body with more cardio too (and like he said, more weights and you're probably not eating enough)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    Yep. Dump them "toning" exercises and hit some good heavy compound exercises to force your metabolism to go up. Heavy weights with sets of 8 reps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    I wrote this on my blog:

Those last few pounds

This is the story of what happen when you want to lose those vanity pounds.
    Your body does not know it live in a place and time where food is readily available and where most of us sit on our behind in front of a computer almost all day. Our bodies still think we are living in caves, hunting and generally working really hard in order to survive.

When we only want to lose those darn last few pounds, our body really don’t want too.

Us: I really want to lose the last 10 pounds because I really want to feel sexy in that little black dress

Body: Why getting rid of those last precious fatty pounds? What if the winter is really hard and we can’t find food. We need that fat!!!! We need to survive.

So, in order to lose, what we do? …….reduce our calories and spend hours on the elliptical.

Body: Oh my God!!!!!!!!!! What is happening? Why do we have to work so much to eat so little food? We must be in a famine!!! Start the survival protocol stat!!!! First, we have to reduce the numbers of calories we use in everyday tasks.

BODY TO DO LIST

- Sleep more

- Move less when awake

- Use muscle mass for energy. Muscles require more energy to have, use and move around. Slowing down metabolism

- Use fat reserves

- If all of the sudden we get more food (Yay we killed something) make sure to store as much as possible.

The result is a plateau at best, a messed up metabolism at worst. In fact it is one of the best way to gain the weight back and more. We all know people that have been on every diet in existence but are at their highest weight ever.

Some call that state, starvation mode…..but for me it’s more a conservation mode where the goal is to survive long enough until food is available.

Us: But I really want to wear that little black dress!!!! And I do not want to eat like a bird for the rest of my life!!!! What should we do?

We can lose those last few pounds and keep a healthy metabolism. We have to keep the deficit really small, about 250 calories a day and eating your exercise calories.

Do heavy strength training, if you use your muscles often, your body will try to keep them.

Eat plenty of protein. About 1g by lean body weight. Eat also plenty of fat. Your bodies need fats to function.

Remember, your body is not the enemy. Work with it, enjoy the journey, love yourself.
  • CDresp
    CDresp Posts: 201 Member
    you are starving your body...not changing it. eat your recommended calories and continue the exercise. patience pays off.
  • Up your calorie intake for a few days to like 200-300 more then bring it back down. Also sometimes changing the foods you have been eating as well as the type of exercise can really help with the dreaded plateau.
  • clairebearmcgill
    clairebearmcgill Posts: 29 Member
    These are all so helpful. I love you all (she says, with oatcake and chicken breast on standby!!)
    xx
  • bump
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 317 Member
    I wrote this on my blog:

Those last few pounds

The result is a plateau at best, a messed up metabolism at worst. In fact it is one of the best way to gain the weight back and more. We all know people that have been on every diet in existence but are at their highest weight ever.

Some call that state, starvation mode…..but for me it’s more a conservation mode where the goal is to survive long enough until food is available.

Us: But I really want to wear that little black dress!!!! And I do not want to eat like a bird for the rest of my life!!!! What should we do?

We can lose those last few pounds and keep a healthy metabolism. We have to keep the deficit really small, about 250 calories a day and eating your exercise calories.

Do heavy strength training, if you use your muscles often, your body will try to keep them.

Eat plenty of protein. About 1g by lean body weight. Eat also plenty of fat. Your bodies need fats to function.

Remember, your body is not the enemy. Work with it, enjoy the journey, love yourself.

Love this! From someone who is also struggling to lose the last 10-15lbs - I really like the way you put this. I just recently started a lifting program and upped my calories. Hopefully that will help the scale move in the right direction!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    I wrote this on my blog:

Those last few pounds

Your body does not know it live in a place and time where food is readily available and where most of us sit on our behind in front of a computer almost all day. Our bodies still think we are living in caves, hunting and generally working really hard in order to survive.

When we only want to lose those darn last few pounds, our body really don’t want too.

Us: I really want to lose the last 10 pounds because I really want to feel sexy in that little black dress

Body: Why getting rid of those last precious fatty pounds? What if the winter is really hard and we can’t find food. We need that fat!!!! We need to survive.

So, in order to lose, what we do? …….reduce our calories and spend hours on the elliptical.

Body: Oh my God!!!!!!!!!! What is happening? Why do we have to work so much to eat so little food? We must be in a famine!!! Start the survival protocol stat!!!! First, we have to reduce the numbers of calories we use in everyday tasks.

BODY TO DO LIST

- Sleep more

- Move less when awake

- Use muscle mass for energy. Muscles require more energy to have, use and move around. Slowing down metabolism

- Use fat reserves

- If all of the sudden we get more food (Yay we killed something) make sure to store as much as possible.

:heart: this!
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    bump
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    Not that it adds a lot, but I agree with the others.

See what happens if you do more strength training and eat back your exercise calories. Try not to go below 1200 net per day minimum and, if you want to create a bigger deficit then do lots of exercise and then eat back about 75% of your exercise calories, still making sure you net 1200 or more.

I'm on my last 10lbs and it is really tough to lose them. Compared to the first 28 which seemed to come off at 1-2lbs a week, now it's 0.5lbs a week if I am really lucky! However, I think you need to accept that it will be a slow process and you just need to keep on working at it.

Good luck!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Yep. Dump them "toning" exercises and hit some good heavy compound exercises to force your metabolism to go up. Heavy weights with sets of 8 reps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I agree with this one. You aren't eating enough.

For myself I had to knock out the grains, legumes, dairy and sugar (even though I had cut way back) and increase my fat (was already getting good protein but now get great animal proteins). But I was able to stop counting calories, weighing and logging food, and doing tons of cardio which was just stressing my body out. I'm 5'2" and I was at 120lb when I started Primal Blueprint and I dropped down to 110.6lb (maintained muscle mass and dropped fat and excess water my body was holding onto) in four months. This was a shocker because I had made my goal and did it only as an experiment. I now maintain 113lb and 19-20% body fat. My body didn't like 110.6 and it let me know.
    I get to eat eggs and meat and poultry and fish and seafood and macadamia nuts and coconut and butter and other yummy saturated fats and good fibrous veggies and even some berries here and there. I also am truly healthy for the first time in my life - aside from the beta cell damage I have already done from my years of the Standard American Diet.
    But this is what worked for me. It won't necessarily work for you. But it might be worth a shot to try and it couldn't hurt.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    With only 10lbs to go your goal should be to lose 0.5lbs/week, which will give you much more than 1000 cals/day. On top of that you should also be eating the calories back that you burn from exercise. Having too large of a deficit when you don't have much to lose will lead your body to lose a large % of lean muscle, not just the fat you are looking at losing.
    Here is a guide for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • erickirb
    I wrote this on my blog:

Those last few pounds

BODY TO DO LIST

- Sleep more

- Move less when awake

- Use fat reserves

I love the way you put this, I may have to steal some of it for future use.
  • 40nfit68
    40nfit68 Posts: 1 Member
    im having the same issue but confused on what eles to eat. i have lost 49lbs in two years but im only maintaining and i want to drop more weight. i started doing strength training so that helped but now that i log in my meals i realize that im not eating enough, but i also dont have a arge appatite. what would you recomend
    40nfit
  • erickirb
    im having the same issue but confused on what eles to eat. i have lost 49lbs in two years but im only maintaining and i want to drop more weight. i started doing strength training so that helped but now that i log in my meals i realize that im not eating enough, but i also dont have a arge appatite. what would you recomend
    40nfit

You don't have to eat more food to eat more calories, just make different food choices.
    Don't eat diet or lite foods, opt for the full fat and full calorie versions "real" food is healthier as well
    add a glass of juice in place of a glass of water
    add nuts, seeds, and/or dehydrated fruit as snacks
    add olive oil to soups and sauces
    add avocado to salads and sandwiches
    eat higher % milk fat products. (instead of 1% switch to 2% milk, eat full fat yogurt and cheeses, etc)
    Nut butters added to fruit are great additions as well, and will not fill you up.
    etc.
  • nixickle
    nixickle Posts: 229 Member
    I agree that you need to up your calorie intake. I started this journey on 1200 calories and then gradually increased this up to 1450 and was still losing, then I gradually increased to maintenance. I'm back on 1450 now as I have a few pounds still to lose from the holidays. Good luck and I hope the scales start shifting again soon
  • Aries03
    Aries03 Posts: 179 Member
    Bump
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    You need to eat more for sure!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!