Ever have days you just want to chuck it all?

Options
DeeDeeLHF
DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
Ok, so for the past two weeks I havn't been doing as well. Instead of sticking to 1200 I have been eating more like 1500-1700 calories (not including eaten exercise calories). I have still been exercising but today I got on the scales and gained 3 pounds.:grumble:

The frustrating part is the thought of how few calories are in store for me each day after I lose the rest of this weight if I want to maintain. I mean if 1200 calories plus exercise (and, yes I do eat most of my exercise calories) is what I need to lose a little under a pound per week and 1700 calories makes me gain weight, then about 1400-1500 must be my maintenance.

When I was younger I could simply watch portions and exercise to maintain...now I feel like I will always have to be on top of things...no "relaxing". O

I know that it is a lifestyle change but to be honest, at least for today, I am not excited about this new lifestyle. I kind of like feeling free to have a glass or two of wine, or a handful of Doritoes. I do not eat any processed sugars so candy and cookies are not my thing, but I live in Buffalo NY and to imagine a life without chicken wings and pizza, is sad.

When I am eating healthy and real it seems like I have plenty of tood, it is the indulgences that I am sad to think cannot really happen. I am not satisfied with a once a month treat.

(Can I have some lowfat cheese, no crackers, with that whine/wine?):laugh:

Any thoughts???

Replies

• WTJoyce
    WTJoyce Posts: 86
    Options
    I was having similar feelings after/during my workout this morning. I think it is normal to feel this way from time to time, but you really do need to decide what is more important to you. At my age (53) there aren't too many more chances to "get back on track" with exercise and eating, so I remind myself of that.

Find what it is that is motivating you, for me it is health and overall well being.

From the philosophical to the practical....

Exercise more, find something outside of the gym that you enjoy that will also burn calories, allwoing you to eat more without gaining weight.

For me it's golf. If I walk and carry my clubs I burn abput 750 calories playing 9 holes, 1500 for 18. But I LIKE to play golf. Yes, I like the gym too, but not in the same way. I have fun 95% of the time I play golf, in the gym it is fun maybe 60% of the time. So find something that you like that is active enough to burn calories, and that way you kill two birds with one stone.

And a reminder, stick with the 1200 base for your calories. I did it until I hit my target weight (1200 for a male is a lot less proportionally than for most women, it put me on target to lose 2 pounds a week.) Now that I hit my target weight I still workout (not quite as intensely for now) and still watch my calories and it is much less of an issue.

Hang on there, you've lost 20 pounds already, which is significant and an achievment. Don't beat yourself up for slipping, note how it happened, avoid that behavior in the future and move on focusing on the things you have done right.

Keep up the good work, you've done great so far, and we are all only human.

:wink:
  • Nlongenecker
    Nlongenecker Posts: 765
    Options
    Believe me, I totally understand! I have been on this site since Janurary and lost a total of 3 lbs. Last month I found out that I have an underactive thyroid & the doc said that a rx should help level me out and it should be easier to lose weight, but I'm still waiting to get my dosage right. And I am not blaming only losing 3 lbs on my thyroid. There are some areas I could improve in. But I definately understand wanting to "chuck it all". But I read a very interesting article awhile back about the difference between motivation and commitment. You cannot rely souly on motivation, cuz some days you just plain won't be motivated! Its a fact. And maybe you'll have a lot of days that you're not motivated, or how I like to say, "just not feeling it". But if you're committed, you have the prize in sight at the end of the road and you're committed to not give up. So although I've been struggling, I refuse to give up. I want to prove to myself that I can have determination and work hard to accomplish something I want. And when I look and feel great, it will be worth it.

Maybe you could look at why you want to spluge. Splurging is definitely not bad, we need to reward ourselves. But if it is emotional eating (one of my big problems), then ask the question, "Why do I want to eat right now? Am I hungry or is there another problem?) I really tend to keep things in, not letting people know how I really feel, so I started really using the blog on this sight to vent. That has helped.

I wish you the best. I'm sure you can do it.
  • Jenny_Bee
    Jenny_Bee Posts: 102
    Options
    Oh, believe me girl, I have my days. Yesterday was particularly bad. but you know what? you've lost 20 lbs! Never forget how awesome that is! Living in Toronto I'm surrounded with restaurants and whenever I go to visit Buffalo, I pick up all the cool snacks and stuff that we don't have here. (forget the outlet malls LET ME AT WEGMANS!) :tongue: After my trip down there, I found my room littered with snacks because I felt well, I'm not THAT much overweight, and i exercise sometimes and blah blah blah excuses excuses and more excuses. After talking with a few of my friends, I remembered that I have a goal, and I have to prove to myself that I can make it. Even though I'm not as bad as I sometimes think, I could look a little bit better. 1400 calories a day seems easy, but when all I want is chicken wings and pizza (I feel your pain) those 1400 seem a lot more impossible to deal with.

I'm so proud of your losing 20 pounds though, always remember how great that is, and if you don't feel like focusing on losing more, maybe focus on maintaining your weight for now, until you feel ready to kick your own butt again.
  • swiftyoung
    swiftyoung Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. This is journey not a destination. You noted that you have
    still been working out. Good for you. Your weight loss could have been greater. Enjoy the occasional wing, is it OK. Enjoy your summer. Have some fun.
  • Jenelz
    Jenelz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I am committing to myself to stick to reporting on this site and using the message boards. I look at 1200 calories and I know I just went beyond that this weekend between going to a baseball game having a couple of beers and having a bbq yesterday. I avoided the potatoe salad but I ate a chicken sausage. It's like pick your poision. And of coarse I had a couple of beers to chase it down. The only time I have alcohol is during something social. So I am real good about watching what i eat during the week and then the weekend comes and it is a lot harder.
    Great Job on losing that 20 pounds. I can't wait to say I have done that. Remember you have accomplished losing 20 pounds and that is something to celebrate. Treat yourself to a outfit or a mani/pedi. Thanks for posting this b/c I am glad I am not the only one that feels like I want to chuck it all.:bigsmile:
  • horstboys5
    horstboys5 Posts: 36
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I think everyone has those days- but you have to remember that there is always tomorrow. If you have a bad day then wake up and recommit to your goals.
    Looking too far ahead at what you can't have is not a good idea- one day at a time is best with health and fitness and losing weight or keeping it off. I find I like to take one day off a week where I don't track calories. It's not a day that I just go wild, but I ease up on the counting and maybe eat a few things I don't normally eat- small portions.
    If you have wings, just have 4 instead of 10. Cutting back on the treats you really like is progress and will make changes in the long run.
    There is nothing more important than your health- every morning be thankful for it and do your best to honor your body....don't beat yourself up and give up!!! You'll just end up back here in worse shape and more discouraged...hang in there and keep coming back!!! You can do it!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will admit I was having a big pity party!!

I am committed to this...really I have no alternative.

Thanks for the advice to stick with it and be committed (read my signature...I think I forgot to read it today:embarassed: ),

to treat myself to something noncalorie,:flowerforyou:

to find something I like to do that doesn't feel like a work out,:blushing: :

to ask WHY I ate...(well let's see,:sad: three funerals, :love: our 24th anniversary, :huh: making my first three tiered cake for a wedding shower (stress), and I homeschool and it is the end of the year!:noway: ),

and last but not least, that it is my body for life, cherish it and treat it with the love and respect that it deserves. :drinker: June 28th I turn 45 and it is good to face it with that commitment.:happy:

You all rock!:flowerforyou:
  • Losetheweightnat
    Losetheweightnat Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Girl we all feel like that from time to time. If i have a craving i just go ahead and eat it. I try not to beat myself up about it. just work it off better yet eat half today and half tomorrow! its gonna happen! there have been times when i look at the scale and it goes up and up! I've learned to stop stressing over that. it made me put on more weight because I was being hard on myself! eat what you want and do your exercises. kick it up a notch if you have too! :flowerforyou:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    DeeDee, so glad that you are feeling better! I think we all get those days.
    My maintenance calories are 1510. It really is alot of food if you choose right. Sometimes I go over but a day or two of going over won't be bad as long as you get back to normal.

I enjoy a glass of wine (5 oz) with dinner, I just add in the calories so I know where I stand. Could I use those calories for something else. Yes, but this is my life and I'm planning on enjoying it even while I am eating healthier. I knew when I started that I did not want to restrict myself to the point that I would get frustrated and quit because I could not have the foods I liked.
    You'll find your balance :flowerforyou:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You won't have to live without chicken wings, pizza and wine!! Also remember that as you lose the fat and build your muscle your metabolism will increase. You will be able to eat more! Plus - I would bet most of that 3 lbs is water weight and will come off quickly.

Really - it's not about depriving ourself. It's about moderation. Never is a long time!! Once in a while means you can enjoy a treat sometimes and still be healthy! It can be more than once a month too. But, we do have to adjust to not being able to eat all that junk constatly. It gets easier. Really, it does!

Chin up girlie - you can do this!! :drinker:
  • DeeDeeLHF
    Options
    Thank you again!!!!!

I really do feel encouraged. I think it is about this point with every other diet that I would give up but I made a commitment to myself not to give up this time.

Here are the positives:

I have lost 20#! Yea!!! 40 all together if you count the 20 before MFP.

I can wear my wedding and engagement ring for the first time in 5 years!

In just this past two weeks I have received so many compliments in how I look, so no other people are noticing. ( I refer everyone who asks to MFP!)

Thanks for getting me over a bump day!!:wink: