Gain 5 lbs in one day? Seriously?

Options
This is why I end up going off track. So I get on the scale this morning, and I am UP 5 lbs from Sunday. I have been under my calorie goal every day for the last 11 days. I could just cry.

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i hear ya. i am trying hard not to weigh myself daily anymore and just every monday am. it's too depressing seeing the scale go up and down every few days. I just hate that if i was on one of my UP days when i weight myself on my weigh in day, i will be more discouraged....
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    could be water weight...PMS? I know some days I just feel bloated and my rings are tight...I don't weigh in on those days :wink:
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    You could be wearing heavier clothes, not pooed, eaten a lot of dense food, bloated, the list goes on.
    Don't fret =]

OH the person above me, yes! PMS! I weigh AT LEAST 5 pounds more during that time than lose that plus about 2 pounds at the end of it all. So that's a good thing to consider
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    5lbs in 1 day is water. Unless you ate an extra 18,000 calories over maintenance in the last couple days.
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    DON'T WEIGH YOURSELF EVERYDAY! Do it once a week, tops. Weight can vary as much as 5 lbs per day (mine has varied as much as 8). Don't cause yourself unnecessary stress!
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    5 x 3500 cal = you didn't eat that much since Sunday. Remain calm and watch your sodium, drink lots of water and keep on logging. Stick with it and you will get beyond this bump in the road! lol
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    100% ....sodium is your culprit ..your most definately high and it doesnt appear that your tracking it.....it can cause you to retain water etc too..start tracking it and keep it under 2000mg to start and see how it goes after 2 weeks..good luck
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    It's just a fluctuation. Chill out.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    drink some water, take a dump, and weight tomorrow after potty, before consumption or shower, in the nude.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You had subway yesterday. Subway is full of sodium, so most likely you are retaining extra water due to the sodium, you didn't really gain weight (fat) so don't fret, just up your water intake and wait.

FYI: You may want to add sodium as a nutrient you track for this reason.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged yet.

It could be your normal monthly water retention time. It sucks bigtime to see the scale pack the pounds on when you've been doing what you're supposed to but there is no getting around Mother Nature.

There could be other things you need to play with - maybe you're too far under your calorie goal. Maybe you're working out and adding muscle. Maybe your body was food deprived before you started counting calories here and you're just going through an initial gain to fix your metabolism.

Have you been working out and not logging it? If you're exercising and not eating back the calories your body may be holding onto your food.
  • Betsiz17
    Betsiz17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Do not get discouraged. Slow and steady wins the race :-) I agree do not weigh yourself every day, too much fluctuation. As long as you are accurately counting your calories, it is just a "blip" on the scale today. Drink lots of water! Tomorrow will be better.
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    There is no way that is real weight. I gain 10 pounds I kid you not if I am pmsing. I hate it. get some cucumbers they are a natural diuretic and eat then every few hours as well as grapefruit if you like it not the grapefruit juice just the balled fruit. figure out what you ate that might have had more sodium over a 3 day span...
  • bgutweiler
    Options
    Watch your sodium intake, that is probably the culprit.
  • eolivero
    Options
    A lot of things can change weight from day to day. Body measurements are more rewarding to see (i.e. pant size, shirt size.) The time of day can change your wieght. Keep in mind you are wieghing your ENTIRE body mass on a scale. It does not single out FAT. Don't be discouraged.
  • Nogo
    Nogo Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Wish I could be one of them people that gets on the scale once a month but I want to see results dammit! NOW!!!
  • hjohns65
    hjohns65 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    this is really grotesque coming from me especially (i don't usually put things so bluntly) however i recenlty experienced the same thing, i got up one morning when 2 days prior i had been doing days 2&3 level 1 of JM 30DS and running on my treadmill both days to find I had gained like 5.6 pounds, i had a melt down in the shower, drank lots of water upped my fiber intake that day watch exactly what i ate that day, took a gigantic poop and it was all gone plus an additonal pound, i know were all different! buttttt maybe you just need to go uh hum and increase your water intake today (like majorly, get some ice water and a straw and get going..... i'm really sorry for you, think positive and keep doing what your doing
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    This is why I end up going off track. So I get on the scale this morning, and I am UP 5 lbs from Sunday. I have been under my calorie goal every day for the last 11 days. I could just cry.
    So did you overeat by 17,000 calories? That's how many fat calories 5 pounds is. If not then it's water. Don't live and die by the scale.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    Yes and as far as weighing everyday I only do that in the beginning for a week to see what foods arent agreeing with me. Every 1-2 weeks is what you should be weighing. How do your clothes feel when you put them on? The same? I am sure you are fine...also weather can really affect scales.
  • LWatson43
    LWatson43 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Do not cry it only water take and remember we should not be on the scales everyday make you weigh in on the same day of the week and in the morning naked. Hang it there it will get better.