Going on Vacation to California for a week-- diet tips?

Options
I am going to visit a friend in California--she has a VERY small fridge, what would you suggest to bring for me to stick to my fitness goals? I am not a big drinker, so I don't really have a problem with cutting that out.

While at home I do 30 minutes to one hour of exercise per day. I am hoping to maintain my weight while in CA.
I am going to be bringing some fresh vegetables (carrots) for the plane--what protein/granola meal bars would you suggest?
I am hoping to eat a lot of protein to keep me full!

I am nervous because at home I have a very regimented meal plan (lots of greek yogurt, lots of spinach salads)--
I have visited her before but I was 15 lbs heavier at that point.

I appreciate your suggestions.

THANKS!

Replies

• amonkey9
    Options
    I find nuts and any fruits are quite portable. have you thought of bringing a mini cooler?
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    check with TSA to see what you can/can't bring with you...

Hope you're coming to sunny So Cal! Our weather is FABULOUS right now!
    Getting in your exercise won't be an issue....walk, walk, walk!
    Great time for fruits/veggies....I just bought strawberries yesterday for
    $1.99/1lb box...yummo! Warm weather is a good excuse for sticking with
    your salads....
    Your friend won't mind helping you stick with your food and exercise plan...
    Let her know what your goals are!

Have a great vacation!!
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be to fly into Cali and buy stuff here. I don't think the airlines will permit you to carry food if it's cabin baggage.

Our weather is indeed fantastic this time of the year.

You can walk into a Vons/Safeway here and pick up dried fruits/nuts to munch on. I am a big Nature Valley fan. I love their Granola bars. Many stores make their own brands (Safeway makes it's own version of the Granola bar, if you are on a budget!)

Fiber keeps you fuller for longer too. Hence, the dried fruits and nuts. :o)
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Hit up a grocery store when you get into town and buy some snacks that don't have to be refrigerated: nuts, healthy crackers, cereal bars, bananas, oranges, apples, etc.. Check ahead (or remember back to your last trip to visit her) for what restaurants you may go to and see if they have nutrition info online. Then you can already know what to eat for a meal and not worry about it while you are having fun with your friend. Suggest to your friend that you walk different places if you can instead of driving. You should be able to maintain given the extra maintenance calories.
  • Bonniebigbutt
    Options
    When I went to California I found alot of vegetarian options in restaurants and great salads even in a deli! If anything I would go to the grocery store and pick up some things after you land but al the menus have nutritional info on them. Just take MFP on your app and you should be good. Have fun!