Anybody do CrossFit?

Options
I have been highly addicted to crossfit for over a year.

Replies

• LoveBuffalo
    Options
    I had a personal trainer for a year who worked with me doing Functional Training. I no longer work with him but what he has taught me has been amazing. I now use the iCross WoD app (free one) everyday. It has a workout of the day - cross fit style. I do not have the equipment they have nor am able to do the heavy weight they do (135 lbs!!). The great thing though is they have a movie attached so you can see what they are doing. I have been creating variations for myself. I love it!

For example...

Today was 20 minutes of as many sets as you can do of the following:

2 Muscle-ups
    4 Handstand pushups
    8 2-pood Kettlebell swings (which is basically an American Style Swing)

Since I don't have rings or the ability (yet) to do handstand pushups I did:

8 deep dips
    4 kettlebell shoulder presses
    8 American style kettlebell swings.

I did a total of 16 sets in the 20 minutes... whew, what a workout!

Tomorrow looks like a crazy long workout! Looking forward to it. They have a website too...

Their website is crossfit.com I believe.

If you've been doing it for a year, you must be in amazing shape! I am saving up for a Pullup/dip unit for my house. I have a pull-up bar but it doesn't fit any of my doors in my new place. :(

Happy Days! :glasses:
  • tarajeand
    tarajeand Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just joined last week. Really tough so far!
  • Hollywood442
    Hollywood442 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awesome that is great! I am very farmiliar with crossfit.com. I love going down there but am slowly putting together a home gym. I also have one of those doorway pullup bars, I dont ever use it because it doesnt compare to a real one. I would find a more sturdy one and mount it in your garage. You will be much happier with it plus you could hang a set of rings from it.
  • scicco
    scicco Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just saw a pullup dip unit at walmart for $98.00! Pretty good unit for the price.
    My husband was doing crossfit for a while and loved it. We are going to start again this week. can't wait
  • Hollywood442
    Hollywood442 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    stay with it. it gets much better when you start seeing positive results in performance
  • LoveBuffalo
    Options
    I was considering getting the Stamina 1690 Power Tower:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y2SUU4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I do not have a garage. I could attach something to my fence or shed outside for the warmer months but it is winter (think snow, 13 degrees and less) so was considering the above for inside.

Thoughts?
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I have been highly addicted to crossfit for over a year.

I am so sorry you are addicted to Crossfit. You might want to check around in your area and see if they are any recovery groups for people that want to deal with their Crossfit addiction.

I know several people that were severely addicted to Crossfit until one of their extreme workouts landed them in the emergency room.

Reading this article from the New York Times might be a good place to start in breaking the grip of your Crossfit addiction:

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all
  • nickyherg
    Options
    I just recently started and some of the exercises are so hard for me to do and I feel like I am pretty athletic. I am going to try and stick with it.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I just recently started and some of the exercises are so hard for me to do and I feel like I am pretty athletic. I am going to try and stick with it.

Some of the Crossfit routines are ok if you scale them way down. Most of what they do are just exercise moves that have been around for ages thrown together to make a "workout of the day." But when people go to the Crossfit gyms and come up against the pressure to compete with people in class that are much stronger than they are, a lot of injuries happen.

However, other Crossfit workouts, such as Olympic lifts and jumping on tall boxes, for example, are best avoided all together if you don't want to end up in the emergency room.

A small percentage of Crossfit gyms might be reasonable and safe, but the vast majority push people to exercise to the extreme, and many Crossfit coaches and participants have a very elitist attitude about Crossfit to the point it can feel cultish.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    However, other Crossfit workouts, such as Olympic lifts and jumping on tall boxes, for example, are best avoided all together if you don't want to end up in the emergency room.

Wait. What?

Are you saying people shouldn't be doing Olympic lifts? Why the heck not? CrossFit aside, I LOVE Olympic weightlifting. Since I started doing Olympic lifting, I have gained flexibility, strength and speed, not to mention self confidence.

And, should we just automatically avoid everything out there that someone else might have injured themselves doing? I know two different people who broke their foot while dancing. Should I never dance and make sure everyone else in the world stops dancing? My sister broke her foot while walking and ended up in the emergency room. (True story!) Should I stop walking and tell everyone else to stop walking because of this?
  • Health_Gal
    Options

Wait. What?

Are you saying people shouldn't be doing Olympic lifts? Why the heck not? CrossFit aside, I LOVE Olympic weightlifting. Since I started doing Olympic lifting, I have gained flexibility, strength and speed, not to mention self confidence.

And, should we just automatically avoid everything out there that someone else might have injured themselves doing? I know two different people who broke their foot while dancing. Should I never dance and make sure everyone else in the world stops dancing? My sister broke her foot while walking and ended up in the emergency room. (True story!) Should I stop walking and tell everyone else to stop walking because of this?

Please read this article before you compare Crossfit with normal, everyday activities that land people in the emergency room

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i printed something like 20 pages of the workouts off their site and do them 4 days a week. My fave right now is "the filthy fifty".
  • JBeansie
    Options
    I'm a Crossfit Betty, love it, can't stop. I drank the Kool-aid. Looking forward to competing this year. It is the only sport that returned me to and under 8:00 mile.
  • JBeansie
    Options

Wait. What?

Please read this article before you compare Crossfit with normal, everyday activities that land people in the emergency room

Do you realize you linked to the wrong article? Also, if you've never done Crossfit, I'm about 100% certain you aren't in any position to be speaking on its merits or shortcomings.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I read the article that you continually post and I personally don't find it intimidating. If I wasn't already a member of a gym and set up with a trainer who puts me through hard core circuit work outs, I would go to my nearest crossfit facility and sign up. Thanks for the post Rachel, that definitely peaked my interest in Crossfit.
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Wait. What?

I have seen that article. I also know that there are people in any sort of activity or sport that take things to the extreme. Most people I know who do CrossFit or bowl or take dance classes or play hockey do not take things to extremes. However, I know people who have been doing all of those activities, _except_CrossFit_, who have ended up in the emergency room. Should all of these activities be ridiculed at every single opportunity because there is some risk of hurting oneself?

(In case you weren't aware of it, that is what you have been doing, RachelSNO. You are ridiculing a whole activity because you read an article that talked about people taking it to an extreme and you know someone personally who took it to an extreme and got hurt. The title of this topic is not, "Please ridicule me and everyone else for talking about CrossFit" but it's "Anybody do CrossFit" and looking for other people who enjoy it.)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I hesitate to criticize any workout program, because even bad workouts are usually better than nothing, but I don't find crossfit to be an intelligent way to approach strength training.
  • kminnucci
    kminnucci Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Love Crossfit. I've been crossfittting for 4 years. The olympic lifting clinic taught me alot. I work out at home now but spent three years at a box learning it right.
  • JBeansie
    Options
    I have seen that article. I also know that there are people in any sort of activity or sport that take things to the extreme. Most people I know who do CrossFit or bowl or take dance classes or play hockey do not take things to extremes. However, I know people who have been doing all of those activities, _except_CrossFit_, who have ended up in the emergency room. Should all of these activities be ridiculed at every single opportunity because there is some risk of hurting oneself?

(In case you weren't aware of it, that is what you have been doing, RachelSNO. You are ridiculing a whole activity because you read an article that talked about people taking it to an extreme and you know someone personally who took it to an extreme and got hurt. The title of this topic is not, "Please ridicule me and everyone else for talking about CrossFit" but it's "Anybody do CrossFit" and looking for other people who enjoy it.)

Here here! By the way I would LOVE to see extreme bowling or extreme ballet.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i printed something like 20 pages of the workouts off their site and do them 4 days a week. My fave right now is "the filthy fifty".

just did this workout this morning...not my fave! i renamed it "the f-ing 50!".