What are your bread alternatives?

Options
So I was trying to considerably cut down calories from those two pieces of whole wheat sandwhich bread when viola! Lavash roll-ups appeared, It's basically a tortilla/flatbread that you can put sandwhich fillings in. I save about 150 calories!

So what are your alternatives to bread?

Replies

• sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you're American? (Please don't get this wrong). You guys have no idea what bread is. The "wheat fluffy toast stuff is not bread. We here in Germany have Pumpernickel, Sunflowerseed bread alls the "dark" or "black" breads as we call them. They are not too high in calories, filling and delicious :)
  • kardowling
    kardowling Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Josephs flax seed lavash. Thomas light English Muffins, breakfast thins, sandwich thins.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Lettuce wraps or just one piece of bread for a sandwich instead of two.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you're American? (Please don't get this wrong). You guys have no idea what bread is. The "wheat fluffy toast stuff is not bread. We here in Germany have Pumpernickel, Sunflowerseed bread alls the "dark" or "black" breads as we call them. They are not too high in calories, filling and delicious :)

We have those types of bread in America too, hun. Lol.
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Great ideas so far, I've been looking for a bread-alternative!

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Pepperidge Farm light style whole grain bread, Thomas's Sahara mini pita, Mission low carb whole wheat tortillas.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I've been using Flatout brand bread flats lately. They kind of look like a tortilla but are really light & have a breadlike texture. 100 calories for a big flat & a ton of fiber. I got mine at walmart.
  • sheepysaccount
    Options

Then you should definitely get them ^_^
  • Chrisborro
    Options
    I use sara lee 45 cal a slice and its multi grain
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I make my own bread. Saves a ton of calories and tastes better!
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    pitta bread is my food of choice at the moment but prefer wraps so will be stocking back up on those when I get home :)
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    La Tortilla Factory - Low Carb / High Fiber Whole Wheat Tortillas 80 calories--very filling :)
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1 piece of r Sara Lee 12 grain to make a sandwich. It's 100 calories, but very good. I also buy La Tortilla Factor low carb tortillas. They are 60 calories and great for making wraps.
  • JBeansie
    Options
    I make my own bread. Saves a ton of calories and tastes better!

That's a fantastic idea!
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Mission Extra thin tortillas, 1 serving= 2 tortillas, 80 Calories
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am a carb lover, and I found these "alternative bagels" made by Western Bagel. They are only 110 calories, with 8 grams of fiber and 7 grams of protein for one bagel. The fiber helps to fill me up, and they are really tasty!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I think that she is referring to is that most Americans view "dark breads" as more of a specialty bread, not the kind you eat every day. Most Americans (unfortunately) view Wonder white bread ...... as "everyday" bread
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Wasa crackers, thomas thin bagels, lettuce, saltine crackers... we also make our own bread so we can adjust salt, sugar, add-ins, etc...
  • sheepysaccount
    Options

I think that she is referring to is that most Americans view "dark breads" as more of a specialty bread, not the kind you eat every day. Most Americans (unfortunately) view Wonder white bread ...... as "everyday" bread

^that. thanks for helping :)