yoga/pilates

Options
How do I add a pilates or yoga class to my exercise log? I can't find either in the database and I have no idea how many calories I burn when I'm there.

Replies

• onedesirablediva
    Options
    It is listed under stretching, hatha yoga. I love yoga and pilates also. It's a great way to burn some calories without hopping around like a maniac.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If you haven't looked into a heart rate monitor yet, you may want to. I wear mine for all my exercises, it is really usefull for pilates and yoga, because they can vary so much in intensity. I can burn between 200 to 400 calories in my weekly class, which is a combo pilates yoga class. I got my HRM on Amazon for around $40, so they don't have to be to costly.
  • shanwow16
    shanwow16 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Pilates Intermediate is listed, I have it in my excercise log.
  • aduff77
    aduff77 Posts: 56
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I still can't find pilates on the list but I am thinking about buying a HRM. Any suggestions? I'm a poor grad student who is planning a wedding, cheap is all I can afford. I don't want to sacrifice quality though.
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I purchased the TImex T5G971 Unisex HRM from Amazon.com. I got mine for around $40, its listed right now for $54, but I have seen it go down as low as $29. Not a problem with mine, have worn it swimming, aerobics, yoga..you name it and it has worked perfectly-its big and ugly, but for 40 bucks, I don't care! There are some cheaper ones online, just make sure the cheaper ones come with the calorie counting option, not all of the inexpensive ones do. Good luck!
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    You can also go to calories per hour.com (all one word though) and put in your stats and look up Pilates. Then input the info here.

Someone posted earlier that they got a Reebok HRM on Amazon for 27.99 - they may still have some left. Check it out. Good luck!!
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I still can't find pilates on the list but I am thinking about buying a HRM. Any suggestions? I'm a poor grad student who is planning a wedding, cheap is all I can afford. I don't want to sacrifice quality though.

Go here. Everything I've ever needed to know about calories burned I have been able to find on this site. Then, I go to MFP and log in the activity accordingly.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp