Anybody do CrossFit?

Options

Replies

• JBeansie
    Options
    I hesitate to criticize any workout program, because even bad workouts are usually better than nothing, but I don't find crossfit to be an intelligent way to approach strength training.

May I ask why?
  • christina423
    christina423 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just bought personal training sessions at my gym. He said he does cross fit - excited to start!
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I just bought personal training sessions at my gym. He said he does cross fit - excited to start!

When you find out how sore you are going to be after a Crossfit workout, you might be a bit less excited than you are now.

I know people that are in great shape, and could barely walk for 3 or 4 days after they started doing Crossfit. They went back a few times times to see if they felt any better, but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the pain and suffering to continue, even though they could not get a refund for the rest of the month they had already paid for at the Crossfit gym.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    However, other Crossfit workouts, such as Olympic lifts and jumping on tall boxes, for example, are best avoided all together if you don't want to end up in the emergency room.

Clean & Jerks + Snatches with weight appropriate for apparently land you in the emergency room. Lol riiiiight.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I hesitate to criticize any workout program, because even bad workouts are usually better than nothing, but I don't find crossfit to be an intelligent way to approach strength training.

May I ask why?

Without turning this into an entire blog post:

-Strength training should involve progressive overload, meaning your goal is to get stronger, little by little. Crossfit does a poor job of that.
    -The risk of injury is unreasonably high. This is because of poor coaching (obviously it varies from place to place) and for using high reps for Olympic lifts. Olympic lifts were meant to be done for low reps, trying to do 20 reps or whatever of a clean and jerk will invariably cause form breakdown and a greater risk of injury.
    -The macho platitudes. These are mostly harmless, but there are times they are taken to the extreme, such as working out to the point of vomiting being touted as a positive thing.
    -The sometimes clult-like attitude. This is just slightly annoying, lol.

In fairness, I'll say that the positive aspects of it is that it encourages people to work hard, introduces people to weightlifting that otherwise would never have tried it, and entourages commitment to ad consistency with the program.
  • JBeansie
    Options

When you find out how sore you are going to be after a Crossfit workout, you might be a bit less excited than you are now.

I know people that are in great shape, and could barely walk for 3 or 4 days after they started doing Crossfit. They went back a few times times to see if they felt any better, but ultimately decided it wasn't worth the pain and suffering to continue, even though they could not get a refund for the rest of the month they had already paid for at the Crossfit gym.

You are definitely a little sore after the first session of Crossfit, but that is what On-Ramp is for. It is meant to slowly guide you into Crossfit.

Have you ever even done a session yourself? All this talk of other people makes me think you've never even tried it. Instead, you're trying to fear monger and badger other people who haven't even begun. Stay classy.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    No, I've never tried Crossfit, but than again, I've never tried jumping off a 3 story building either. Both are activities that I'm pretty sure I would not enjoy.

It is much better not to ever try Crossfit than to be sore all the time from their extreme workouts or end up in the emergency room.

The people I know that got too sore to function were enrolled in the Crossfit on ramp program. And when they saw the kind of stuff that would be expected of them in regular Crossfit classes, it made them even more sure of their decision not to continue.
  • JBeansie
    Options

May I ask why?

Without turning this into an entire blog post:

-Strength training should involve progressive overload, meaning your goal is to get stronger, little by little. Crossfit does a poor job of that.
    -The risk of injury is unreasonably high. This is because of poor coaching (obviously it varies from place to place) and for using high reps for Olympic lifts. Olympic lifts were meant to be done for low reps, trying to do 20 reps or whatever of a clean and jerk will invariably cause form breakdown and a greater risk of injury.
    -The macho platitudes. These are mostly harmless, but there are times they are taken to the extreme, such as working out to the point of vomiting being touted as a positive thing.
    -The sometimes clult-like attitude. This is just slightly annoying, lol.

In fairness, I'll say that the positive aspects of it is that it encourages people to work hard, introduces people to weightlifting that otherwise would never have tried it, and entourages commitment to ad consistency with the program.

Last night we did 8,3,5 at 90% on back squats. It was a strength training warm-up before the WOD. The majority of Crossfit gyms build strength exercises, not the other way around. Unfortunately, the general population only considers the WOD instead of the entire hour you attend. You understand that we aren't doing 20 Olympic lifts in one sitting at 100% right? That is a misconception; if someone tells you that, they are an idiot. The WODs are always at 60-80% max weight in order to account for the speed and the reps. As for injury, that varies greatly with the gym and the trainers, but trainers are required to become certified before ever leading a workout. Certification is expensive and hard so I don't take it lightly.

Macho-like attitudes sure. Even I have one to a degree. But then again it is hard not to be confident when I warmed up by squatting 115#, 130#, and 145#. That being said, I've never been to a gym where people cheer, literally yell, for you to finish and that you are capable of completing the workout. I would not replace the sense of community for anything. Cults can be fun in that we have social events, competitions, and encourage each other. I received a phone call after missing my WODs for 2 weeks. Since I have a contract, it wasn't about the money. My coach was worried that I was missing WODs for other reasons and encouraged me to come back. That's commitment,

But you are entitled to your opinion and I appreciate the feedback. Hope you can try a WOD at a good box some day!
  • JBeansie
    Options
    No, I've never tried Crossfit, but than again, I've never tried jumping off a 3 story building either. Both are activities that I'm pretty sure I would not enjoy.

It is much better not to ever try Crossfit than to be sore all the time from their extreme workouts or end up in the emergency room.

The people I know that got too sore to function were enrolled in the Crossfit on ramp program. And when they saw the kind of stuff that would be expected of them in regular Crossfit classes, it made them even more sure of their decision not to continue.

Read: It is much better not to ever try.

You said a mouthful there.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Last night we did 8,3,5 at 90% on back squats. It was a strength training warm-up before the WOD. The majority of Crossfit gyms build strength exercises, not the other way around. Unfortunately, the general population only considers the WOD instead of the entire hour you attend. You understand that we aren't doing 20 Olympic lifts in one sitting at 100% right? That is a misconception; if someone tells you that, they are an idiot. The WODs are always at 60-80% max weight in order to account for the speed and the reps. As for injury, that varies greatly with the gym and the trainers, but trainers are required to become certified before ever leading a workout. Certification is expensive and hard so I don't take it lightly.

-When is the next time you will back squat, and what will be the weight/rep scheme?
    -I understand the Olympic lifts are done and low weight for high reps. My point is that this is not how Olympic lifts are meant to be done, and it will lead to form breakdown and injury risk. This is not even counting if your form was any good in the first place. Olympic lifts are HARD to learn properly, I'd doubt that most of the coaches are even doing them right.
    -The crossfit certification process certainly is expensive, but I would not classify it as rigorous.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    don't listen to rachel, she hates all things crossfit, and gives no reason other then a few pictures of people that have hurt themselves, and an article about someone that had to go to the hospital after a crossfit session. however, she fails to point out that these people were injured or hospitalized because they were either doing the work out lazily or working outside of their comfort zone.

i do not belong to a crossfit gym or "box," but i do work out with a personal trainer that has shown me a few crossfit work outs. he puts a big emphasis on form and proper completion. no half a$$ing it. it is a great addition to my normal work outs.

you can get injured doing just about any type of work out, whether it is running, cycling, swimming, or whatever. and box jumps are an awesome, explosive physical work out.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I have been highly addicted to crossfit for over a year.

I am so sorry you are addicted to Crossfit. You might want to check around in your area and see if they are any recovery groups for people that want to deal with their Crossfit addiction.

I know several people that were severely addicted to Crossfit until one of their extreme workouts landed them in the emergency room.

Reading this article from the New York Times might be a good place to start in breaking the grip of your Crossfit addiction:

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

You again?
    :noway: :huh:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

Oh no!?? People get sore from working out?

Next you're going to say that competing in Ironman races are bad for your health too because one time this guy had a heart attack... yeah... :huh:
  • janet_pratt
    janet_pratt Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have been highly addicted to crossfit for over a year.

I am so sorry you are addicted to Crossfit. You might want to check around in your area and see if they are any recovery groups for people that want to deal with their Crossfit addiction.

I know several people that were severely addicted to Crossfit until one of their extreme workouts landed them in the emergency room.

Reading this article from the New York Times might be a good place to start in breaking the grip of your Crossfit addiction:

Getting Fit, Even If It Kills You
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

You again?
    :noway: :huh:

Her workouts consist of scrolling through hundreds and hundreds of forums looking for crossfit threads to hijack.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

-When is the next time you will back squat, and what will be the weight/rep scheme?
    -I understand the Olympic lifts are done and low weight for high reps. My point is that this is not how Olympic lifts are meant to be done, and it will lead to form breakdown and injury risk. This is not even counting if your form was any good in the first place. Olympic lifts are HARD to learn properly, I'd doubt that most of the coaches are even doing them right.
    -The crossfit certification process certainly is expensive, but I would not classify it as rigorous.

the main website has the WOD posted for tomorrow and it is back squats 3-3-3-3-3. low reps and try to pr weight.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    No!!!! Don't do crossfit! It is so dangerous! You WILL die!
  • engineman312
    Options

>.<
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options

>.<

What kind of animal is that supposed to be?
  • engineman312
    Options

>.<

What kind of animal is that supposed to be?
    i can't tell if you're being serious about crossfit killing someone or not. you just can't make claims about things like that as fact.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

THIS is the #1 reason I don't want to do anything with CrossFit. I'm a numbers nerd, if I don't see my lifts staying the same or increasing from session to session, something is wrong. Without that consistency, how can I measure progress?

I run too. Numbers there are easy. I can run X minutes/mile over Y distance. Next time I try a little faster or longer, there is progress. Weight training is no different to me.

The other side of the coin? My wife LOVES crossfit and other functional training. Whisper sweet nothings into her ear like "sandbag", "truck tire", "kettlebell" and she melts.