Pasta Measuring

Options
So my pasta nutritional informations says "Per 1/5 of box".. like I know what 1/5 of a box is, but its 75 grams. How many cups or how much of a cup would this be? Thanks in advance

Replies

• nikki91950
    Options
    get a food scale. lol.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    depends on its shape, how much you cook it/how much water it absorbs, etc. best bet is to just use a food scale before you cook it and know that thats one serving. if youre cooking for more than one person, weigh it before to get the correct weight per person, and weigh it after. just divide the 2nd weigh in by the number of servings. say you make three servings, and cooked weight is 333g (is probably isnt, just using easy numbers). each person would get 111g.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have the hardest time with pasta servings, and I can't wait for my scale to arrive! I cooked about (?) 85 grams of spaghetti last night, and it made about (?) three cups. I could be totally off, which is why I need that scale.
  • sibernstein
    sibernstein Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I always do pasta by weight (grams!) A normal serving is anywhere between 60-80grams but it depends on the type of pasta (ravioli, tortellini, spaghetti, etc). If you eat 'pastina' the teeny, tiny pasta (like soup pasta) a serving is about 30-50 grams....
  • Texas501
    Texas501 Posts: 274
    Options
    Usually the package on the pasta will give the calories per serving, then give you how many servings the whole package has. If you plan on cooking the entire package, then use the TOTAL AMOUNT OF CALORIES FOR THE WHOLE PACKAGE. When the pasta is done, you can separate the pasta into equal servings. With the number of servings you separated (this depends on how big the servings you want to make it out to), use this number to divide the total calories of the whole package of pasta by. This will be the calories you consume in that one serving.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Typically one cup of cooked pasta equals a serving. Through a bunch in the pot and measure it after it's cooked; easier that way.
  • Jarvis95
    Jarvis95 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh it dry with the scale, but this explains it!

source: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/CanadaAM/20080312/beck_pasta_080312/

What is the right portion size for pasta?

The key to weight control is portion size. One food guide serving - one-half cup (125 ml) - of cooked pasta has 104 calories, half a gram of fat and a mere 1 milligram of sodium. If you're making a meal out of pasta, keep your portion size to 1.5 to 2 cups (375 to 500 ml) of cooked pasta. If you're trying to lose weight, stick to one cup (250 ml).

In general, for small to medium shaped (macaroni, penne, fusili) and long shaped pasta (spaghetti, linguini, fettuccine) 56 gram dry weight (about ½ cup) yields one cup (250 ml) cooked pasta. A serving size of 85 grams dry (about ¾ cup) will yield roughly 1.5 cups (375 ml) of cooked pasta.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely measure it. 1/5 of a box for the box I buy is about 2 oz or 1 cup cooked. You could eye it and then measure out 1 cup or you could put a bowl on a food scale, adjust the scale to 0, then add 2 oz of pasta and cook it.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I just had spaghetti last night and was at a loss on how to figure out the potion sizes too, i don't have a scale, and frankly don't want the counter clutter so I doubt I'll be getting one. So what I ended up doing was dumping the spaghetti out onto a plate, dividing it into 4 equal piles, and wrapping them in plastic wrap. The box had 7 servings so I multiplied 7 x the calories per serving and then divided by four to get the number of calories in bundles I made. I wrote the calories on the box and put the three other portions of plastic wrapped spaghetti back in the box so next time making spaghetti won't be so ridiculous.

Once the spaghetti was cooked I just eyeballed it and split it between two plates. When I'm done plating the whole meal, if one plate looks a little fuller than the other, I give that one to my husband. lol
  • BrookieS81
    BrookieS81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just had this problem last night. I googled a lot of it. Generally 2 oz dry pasta is 1 cup cooked. And one cup cooked is equal to 140 grams. What I do is add the NI for the pasta myself, like it's a recipe. Then I do the serving size in grams, so I can weigh my pasta cooked and get the right info for it in grams, so if I want 90 grams or 150 grams, it's all figured out.
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I use the Barilla Whole Wheat and it lists a serving at 2 oz, so I use a food scale to measure. I may not be doing it right but I measure it after it's cooked.

Imagine my reaction when I first began this journey and measured 2 oz of the cooked pasta out on a plate!!!! I now use a salad plate and when having spaghetti with a salad, it's more than filling! I shudder to think I used to eat a whole dinner sized plate full!!:noway:
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    They make a little tool that is used for measuring dry spaghetti.

It works pretty well. I got mine at Bloomingdales for like $7