bulking up :(

Options
I need advice:
feeling depressed, I work real hard and don't dare to step on the scale, since I started p90x, on wk-7 now...

I've bulked up, arms and legs(muscle mass but it's strange is less defined then what I had), my tops are tighter and so are my pants, booo!!!! I also still have plenty of giggle that I wanted to get rid of and nothing is happening there, still not loosing hope, working hard and hoping they'll be a change eventualy, any taughs? I added some cardio 20-40 daily and a bodyrock routine daily also... what else could help?

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    It's all psychological. I thought p90 already had a good bit of cardio in it? I'd keep trucking!
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Give it a minute to even out. From my understanding you can't really bulk up without being on a calorie surplus diet.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Try moving your macros around, it looks like they're still on mfp default which means that your protein is terribly low.
  • essjay75
    essjay75 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 9 and have not lost a pound. I've read a lot of people don't see the weight actually drop until the last phase.

I may not be smaller-but I'm definitely stronger, so if I don't lose, who cares....I'll melt it off with Insanity when I'm done. :)

Hang in there!
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Keep going and don't eat back your cals. I didn't start to loose anything for at least 5 weeks and could not tell any difference. Then it all started to come off!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You're not in a calorie deficit
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I need advice:
    feeling depressed, I work real hard and don't dare to step on the scale, since I started p90x, on wk-7 now...

I've bulked up, arms and legs(muscle mass but it's strange is less defined then what I had), my tops are tighter and so are my pants, booo!!!! I also still have plenty of giggle that I wanted to get rid of and nothing is happening there, still not loosing hope, working hard and hoping they'll be a change eventualy, any taughs? I added some cardio 20-40 daily and a bodyrock routine daily also... what else could help?

You are not bulking on P90X. I have done 6 rounds and have not bulked. What you are noticing is water being stored in your muscles to protect them from the damage caused by lifting and to aid in recovery, which is making them seem bigger, but you will shed the excess water once your muscles get use to the work. Try drinking more water as well as that tends to help get rid of water retention. If you are in a caloric deficit it is even more unlikely that you added any muscle.
  • valleyrose99
    valleyrose99 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is 80% nutrition. Make sure you're still eating correctly.

Check of the FB page for Girls Gone Strong to see what women that lift weight look like.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

but if you look at her diary she's set only at like 1600 net.
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Try moving your macros around, it looks like they're still on mfp default which means that your protein is terribly low.

^^Ditto
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I was like WHA? Then I realized who posted.

I rarely post anything serious. (This is a rarety.)
  • ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issues and I swear it's water weight because I'm lifting heavier ... hang in there
  • erickirb
    Options
    Keep going and don't eat back your cals. I didn't start to loose anything for at least 5 weeks and could not tell any difference. Then it all started to come off!

bad advice, she should be eating the cals back if she is using MFP's calorie guidelines, otherwise she should follow the P90X plan which is a minimum of 1800 cals/day.
  • billiebee
    Options
    Try hitting your slow twitch muscles which give you long, lean muscles rather than bulk. Exercises like pilates, yoga, swimming and slow but deliberate weight lifting (or lots of reps at a lower weight) can help shape your muscles.

I'm in the same boat right now. I have the tone but the fat just won't come off. Time for some major cardio!!!!
  • erickirb
    Options
    Try hitting your slow twitch muscles which give you long, lean muscles rather than bulk. Exercises like pilates, yoga, swimming and slow but deliberate weight lifting (or lots of reps at a lower weight) can help shape your muscles.

I'm in the same boat right now. I have the tone but the fat just won't come off. Time for some major cardio!!!!

No, no, no, this is nonsense from the 80s and earlier. You and the OP may want to pick up the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, which illustrates how women should workout, great advice and has routines.

Heavy weights will not make a woman bulk unless she is trying very hard to bulk, and even then you can only expect 1-2 lbs of muscle/month, and that is in a caloric surplus.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

Huh? I thought that your muscles could only be as long as your bones.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    lol...I am so glad that was a joke

Sorry to alarm you.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

No, no, no, this is nonsense from the 80s and earlier. You and the OP may want to pick up the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, which illustrates how women should workout, great advice and has routines.

I could kiss you full on the mouth!

NROL4W rocks my socks (3 days a week anyway). Lou and company produce some great programs and are really good at dumbing down the science for those of us who, like me, aren't edumacted in such things.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I was like WHA? Then I realized who posted.

I rarely post anything serious. (This is a rarety.)

Don't worry, jenna, you can't help it their humor meters are broken. :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

but if you look at her diary she's set only at like 1600 net.

That doesn't make it accurate