Do Frozen Weight Watcher Meals Help you loose weight ?

Options
Do Frozen Weight Watcher Meals Help you loose weight ?

Example : Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine & Smart Ones

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    They can help you to control your calorie intake. I usually have to have something on the side though because they don't fill me up. They're good in a pinch and I eat them once or twice a week, but they have a lot of sodium, so just be warned.

I think they can really help with portion control though.
  • shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I eat them a few times a week. They are quick and easy. I really like Smart Ones. They are high in sodium so just make sure to drink water and get your sweat on!
  • TheCountryLife
    TheCountryLife Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes, I defiantly agree that they help with portion control. I've been eating them every day @ lunch during the week. I want to make sure I'm not doing more damage by eating them :-(
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Well. They are quite processed and have a lot of sodium in them. That being said, I do eat them occasionally (usually on work days when I'm just too tired to do anything more than shove something in the microwave). Will they HELP you lose weight? Well, you'll only lose if in a calorie deficit. But, unlike a lot of people - I don't think having them occasionally will hurt.
  • andreacord
    Options
    I think it would have to do with the portion and calorie control aspect of it. I only really eat them if I'm craving something like fettuchini and don't want to go overboard. Careful on the sodium though.
  • JaeDeeCaterpillar
    JaeDeeCaterpillar Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Like the PP said, they definitely help with portion control in a pinch. I always add 1/2-1 cup of frozen veggies to them before microwaving to bulk them up. Oh and drink a bunch of water to compensate for the sodium content.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what the other said. I often keep on hand in my office fridge a bag of ready-made salad, and have that on the side. And yep, drink up that water! :happy: There are lots of people totally opposed to eating those things, but sometimes I'm just too busy at night to make my healthy lunch for next day. THAT'S when they save me.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Only in the sense that you are likely controlling portions and going into a caloric defecit. As far as the quality of food it's total garbage and you'd be better off making something yourself.

If things like Weight Watchers really worked, and worked long term, everyone would eat their pre packaged meals. I think that some people can loose weight on the weight watchers plan, but best to prepare your own foods within their guidelines, the meals themselves are just a revenue generator for them.
  • jillerymaker
    Options
    I agree...super convenient to grab in the morning for lunch. I do also try to have a small salad to supplement; otherwise I am still hungry. But I think they serve their purpose for portion control and convenience as long as that's not all your eating!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I think it would have to do with the portion and calorie control aspect of it. I only really eat them if I'm craving something like fettuchini and don't want to go overboard. Careful on the sodium though.

Yes to fettuccine! And the little pizzas! :drinker:
  • Heidi1987
    Heidi1987 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I never trust or enjoy microwave meals. so much junk and very little nutritious ingredients.
  • erika010
    erika010 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to eat frozen meals but now I don't. I have noticed a huge difference in my extra tummy flub now that I make all my meals from scratch (I'm not even making anything fancy, just grilled chicken and veggies mostly). I agree, they do help with portion control but the preservatives and sodium are just not good for you. Probably ok to eat occasionally but too much salt, even if you "flush out with water" (I don't necessarily agree that this works) still leads to a host of long-term health issues.
  • gorgeouss9
    Options
    I was once hooked on Lean Cuisine. I did lose weight when I ate it for lunch, and sometimes dinner. Mostly because it helped me know exactly how many calories i'll be eating. And, the sodium on their dishes are about 500mg for each meal. But, after a few weeks on it, it didnt satisfy me. I would begin looking for more to eat, and would sometimes eat more than one meal at a time. Also, I noticed that when I made my own meals @ home, the sodium was much less- and the protein and vitamins were more. And, the cost was too high for what you get.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    sodium in those processed meals is the devil. just sayin. Go whole foods instead :)
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think they are fine in moderation-a couple of times a week. Life happens and sometimes we just need something convenient. However, I have been making big bathces of chili, spaghetti sauce, casseroles, etc. and freezing them in individual containers. Put them in the fridge the night before and by lunch the next day they are ready to microwave. Most of the time those are better, fill me up and have less sodium.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Instead of eating them frozen...I'd try warming them up :smile:
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest. I don't consider anything that highly processed to be real food. Yes, it is low in calories, and portion control will help you lose weight. If you look at the ingredient list though, there's hardly any real food in them. Once in a while probably won't kill you, but I certainly wouldn't rely on them. You could eat a home made grilled veggie salad with some protein of your choice, and be able to eat twice as much food for the same amount of calories.
  • tnknights
    Options
    But, any calorie restriction will work. We go to the grocery and fill up in produce and meats / seafood. We buy canned tomatoes but for the most part avoid the canned food aisle. Same for boxes except oatmeal. And we go to the frozen section for veggies and stuff like that.

If the WW food has ingredients that you don't know what they are then I suggest looking elsewhere.

The advantage of getting light recipes is that your food tastes the way you want. Not like frozen food. I'm just totally against all the weight loss programs out there. None has worked as good as MyFitnessPal and RunKeeper.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I always keep the WW mini pepperoni pizzas in my freezer. I shop every Tuesday and try very hard to plan my meals for the week. But its nice to know I have something on hand in case I need a quick meal.

I think if used just once or twice a week they can be beneficial to your weight loss.

But like anything else you HAVE to do what works for you!! I have a friend who eats a lean cuisine or light michelina's everyday she works and so far she has lost 88lbs since April.
  • wsrsjt
    wsrsjt Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I used weight watchers (the brand) meals every day and lost 2st in just over a year, however, when I stopped eating them I put on 3 st over 18mths. I'm not saying it was entirely due to stopping eating ww meals - I have a lot of family problems as well which led to binge eating.

I am now trying Diet Chef meals supplimented with veg and/or rice, I use single portion frozen packets to control my portions, and counting the cals on MFP, this seems to be working much better and much quicker for me. Good luck and stick to it. :smile: