anyone else having this problem?

Options
Hi,

Im really struggling with my diet. My husband always said i ate to much and joining this site and keeping track of what im eating has proved his point. I only eat once a day and i dont snack. I know i need to start to eat at least 3 small meals a day even though my evening meal isn't that big. But im eating most days only 400 cals and that includes what im drinking so im being warned about starvation mode each day. Is this a problem for anyone else here or am i on my own. I have been to see the dr about this and the answer im getting is we will worry about your health once you get down to your ideal weight.

Thanks Pest

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    400 calories a day ??!!! No I don't have that problem. The weight is not going to come off overnight. Starving your body of needed nutrients might may loss a little quicker ...... but at what price?

1200 calories (for a sedentary woman) is recommended because that is what your body requires for normal everyday function - just the REGULAR day to day stuff. Your body is making blood cells, skin cells, lung function, nerve function ....... and on and on

PLEASE eat more than 400 calories a day. You are putting your health is at serious risk.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat 3 meals per day or even 6, but please make your one meal a day more than 400 calories. That is just ridiculous. Why would you go from "eating too much" to starving yourself?

And, get a new doctor.
  • michybelle
    michybelle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    400 calories a day is not enough for anyone. Your body needs those calories for energy to function. If you don't give your body the energy that it needs, it will get it in other ways. It will only end up backfiring, so PLEASE eat more sensibly. If your doctor is not concerned, then you need to find a new doctor. Extreme dieting has seriously negative consequences. **HUGS** You can do it, but you need to do it in a healthy way.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Just promise me that your husband didn't tell you that you were eating too much when it's only 400 cals a day.

You don't have to eat a certain number of meals, but you do need to eat more.
  • amonkey9
    Options
    I have had a similar problem. I'm higher now, but I'm still trying to raise my calories. Feel free to add me if you like :)
  • monkeypain1984
    monkeypain1984 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I only tend to eat when i feel hungry. Even talking to dr about it hasn't helped. The one day since joining this i came close to the cals etc it said i needed was when i had a couple of snicker bars but my dr says to cut that out lol. so i dont know what to do. i hate eating or drinking when i dont feel hungry or thirst. as a result theres many times ive gone 36 hours without anything to eat or drink. i cant seem to get the point across to the dr that this is becoming a massive problem and if left on my own to deal with it im worried it will be to big a problem to deal with.
  • monkeypain1984
    Options
    my husband is aruging with the drs with me. he knows im eating not enough and he also knows ive been eating 400 cals or less a day since i was 14 or 15 years old and im now 27. i suffer with depression problems and memory problems to which i know arn't helped with not eating properly and then theres other heath problems which arn't helped. grrrr fell like im losing a battle i was never meant to win.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    I only tend to eat when i feel hungry. Even talking to dr about it hasn't helped. The one day since joining this i came close to the cals etc it said i needed was when i had a couple of snicker bars but my dr says to cut that out lol. so i dont know what to do. i hate eating or drinking when i dont feel hungry or thirst. as a result theres many times ive gone 36 hours without anything to eat or drink. i cant seem to get the point across to the dr that this is becoming a massive problem and if left on my own to deal with it im worried it will be to big a problem to deal with.

Well, to be quite honest, you couldn't have gotten overweight by eating 400 calories per day. So it can't be a problem of not knowing how to eat.

Start in small steps. Eat what you want as long as it fits into a healthy, manageable calorie goal for yourself (not 400 per day). After you have that down, start figuring out ways to incorporate healthier foods into your day.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You need to eat calorie dense foods, then.
  • monkeypain1984
    Options
    forgot to add 99% of the time those evening meals go unfinished and fed to the dogs.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    my husband is aruging with the drs with me. he knows im eating not enough and he also knows ive been eating 400 cals or less a day since i was 14 or 15 years old and im now 27. i suffer with depression problems and memory problems to which i know arn't helped with not eating properly and then theres other heath problems which arn't helped. grrrr fell like im losing a battle i was never meant to win.

So you husband thinks you are eating too much at 400 calories per day and now eating too little at 400 calories per day? This doesn't make any sense.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    forgot to add 99% of the time those evening meals go unfinished and fed to the dogs.

Then stop feeding the dogs your food.
  • monkeypain1984
    Options
    most of the weight gained was gained when i was a kid and put on steorids to control seiasures dont have the fits now though but have never been able to lose the weight. probably because i dont eat enough
  • ve022
    ve022 Posts: 21
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? This can cause enough swing in your body. As much as you may not like to eat.... and I know easier said than done... sometimes you have to force yourself to do so...
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Try even snacking on almonds, they are super healthy and pack a lot of calories. This should at least help a tad. You can search for higher calorie foods that are still healthy. Good luck! I have the opposite problem and use up my calories too fast in a day :S Sloely introduce more food into your diet, might help?
  • monkeypain1984
    Options
    yeap, ive had full blood tests done every 6 months or so and everything is fine.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

First you said he told you that you eat too much, now you're saying that you don't eat enough. Which one is it?
  • CCulshaw
    CCulshaw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I came across this link to an older thread yesterday, I think it may be very helpful to you in understanding why you need you eat more, how to do so, and what to expect as your body adjusts:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Good luck!
  • Cristy286
    Cristy286 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I suffer from a similar issue. I often don't eat enough food to even get through the day. I'm a new mother and find myself with him most of the day, so I'm not a priority, he is, and ultimately I forget to eat so I pay the price. Since I joined almost 5 months ago, I've lost 10lbs, and that was only being consistent in the first three weeks. I am starting again with a plan and with help i hope i'll be able to eat more for my body and continue the weight loss!
  • tiffanyvc
    Options
    Have you figured out why you're not hungry? Is it an emotional/mental thing or do you have a medical problem?