Bartending excercise?

Options
Hi
I bartend once in a while, it is an 8 hour shift, fairly large bar, and usually fast paced and physically challenging for sure! How would I determine estimated calories burned with out wearing a heart rate monitor? What do you think excercise activity I could compare that to do you think?
Thanks for any thoughts!

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't count this as actual exercise.
  • MumaTo4
    MumaTo4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    But cleaning the house is?
  • MumaTo4
    Options
    I guess actually it doesn't matter, any calories burned that are not logged are just a extra bonus.
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    you could also set your activity to highly active?
  • addisondisease
    Options
    In you life style settings you can set it to very active to very seditary. This is your best option. counting house cleaning is just ridiculous and only a practice of people who want to cheat as much as they can on their diets.
  • MumaTo4
    Options
    I only fill in once in a great while so changing my settings may not work. I thought the same thing about house cleaning when I saw it! I am constantly cleaning up after my family! Thanks for the responses!
  • addisondisease
    Options
    Ok if you don't do it often, don't change the settings for just one day. Its like helping someone move on the weekend, or chasing after the dog when it gets out, its an isolated event that you don't have to worry about.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    If you bartend regularly then set your activity to lightly active instead of sedentary and then don't log the bartending as calories burned. BUT if you only bartend occassionally, once a week or less, then log the calories burned since its not daily activity and it is exercise. Maybe log it as walking for the 8 hour shift?

My rule of thumb for logging exercise is this.... 1) Did I do this regular activity prior to joining MFP and trying to lose weight? If yes, then I don't log it because it didn't help me lose weight before, it won't now. This would be stuff like mowing the yard, cleaning house, etc. 2) How often do I perform this activity? If I only do it a handful of times over the course of months or a year then i will log it. For example, splitting wood for the fireplace. I only do this a few weekends a year and its a huge calorie burn. I log it.

If I were you, since the bartending is only weekly or so I would leave the activity level as sedentary and log the bartending as calories burned. But i would just make a guesstimate on the low side because while its a lot of work and moving around there is also a lot of just standing without your heart rate elevated very high
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    since it is a job that you do, i would just set your activity level to active and not log it as extra exercise.... just my opinion. you could go crazy trying to log everything (including housework, etc.).
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If it's a 'once in a while' type activity, then I wouldn't count it. Consider it a gift for all the times you might not be acurately (or honestly) logging your food!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Actually, no.
    People who log that in as "exercise" are usually wishful thinkers on a fast track to failure.
  • MumaTo4
    Options
    Thank you all, I am new to this program and appreciate the feedback!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would just consider that bonus calories and not count it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you bartend regularly then set your activity to lightly active instead of sedentary and then don't log the bartending as calories burned. BUT if you only bartend occassionally, once a week or less, then log the calories burned since its not daily activity and it is exercise. Maybe log it as walking for the 8 hour shift?

My rule of thumb for logging exercise is this.... 1) Did I do this regular activity prior to joining MFP and trying to lose weight? If yes, then I don't log it because it didn't help me lose weight before, it won't now. This would be stuff like mowing the yard, cleaning house, etc. 2) How often do I perform this activity? If I only do it a handful of times over the course of months or a year then i will log it. For example, splitting wood for the fireplace. I only do this a few weekends a year and its a huge calorie burn. I log it.

If I were you, since the bartending is only weekly or so I would leave the activity level as sedentary and log the bartending as calories burned. But i would just make a guesstimate on the low side because while its a lot of work and moving around there is also a lot of just standing without your heart rate elevated very high

This is a good idea but remember the cals burned MFP and HRM's give you are total cals burned and will include maintenance cals which are already taken into account so if you burn 1.5 cals/min at rest (maintenance/24/60) you would have to back that out from the total burned. And over 8 hours 1.5 cals per min ads up to 492 cals, so if you ate all of them you would over eat by that much.
  • Brettski111
    Brettski111 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I guess actually it doesn't matter, any calories burned that are not logged are just a extra bonus.

This is how I think of it. Not worth getting caught up in the details. Not worth the risk of getting burned out on tracking everything.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If it's a 'once in a while' type activity, then I wouldn't count it. Consider it a gift for all the times you might not be acurately (or honestly) logging your food!

I like this advise, and don't feel bad if you are 100 cals over a few days a week.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    If only making money burnt fat. Or vice versa.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Actually, no.
    People who log that in as "exercise" are usually wishful thinkers on a fast track to failure.

I log housecleaning if it is especially rigorous and not something I normally do. Dusting...no way...attacking the baseboards, floor, tub, etc with a toothbrush like a maniac...yeah. But I only log 1/2 the time and do the light setting, and I still work out anyway.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Gin & Tonic, please.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    When I used to bar tend if it was a fight night or a football game I for sure burned some calories but since you really can't wear a HRM, in my opinion, you shouldn't log it because its not worth the risk of overestimating calories burned.