I need help with measurements with my food.

Options
Hi Everyone,

I don't know my measurements like "onces". How big is a 5 oz. of chicken or beef? How big is 1 oz. of salmon? Do I have to buy a scale? Do you guys know?

Replies

• ltalakai277
    ltalakai277 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I don't know my measurements like "onces". How big is a 5 oz. of chicken or beef? How big is 1 oz. of salmon? Do I have to buy a scale? Do you guys know?
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Get a measuring cup that shows ounces and liters, pour the chicken broth into the cup, and measure 5 oz.

Remember: one cup equals eight ounces.

http://www.medcalc.com/wtmeas.html
  • Clara
    Clara Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I bought a scale. Little one that shows ounces and grams. Love it especially for meat.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I'm with Clara. I bought a little scale a long time ago and I was surprised! I was cheating myself out of my full serving size on a lot of foods. So, just get one. It helps soooooooo much.
  • Bekah
    Bekah Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    same here i have a scale it is not an expensive one but it does the same thing it is the best way to go to keep real track.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Yeah, get a scale, you can pick one up for like 10 or 15 bucks. But after a while, you'll know about how much everything is. It becomes easy to estimate within about 1/2 an oz or so. I check every once in a while, and I'm usually right on.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I have a scale too. I think it was around $25 at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Really nice one with a stainless steel surface that cleans easily. Mine doesn't have anything fancy on it but it weighs my food in ounces, etc...so that is enough for me. That, along with measuring cups and spoons keeps me honest!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    this measurers are cheap and worth. I have a small scale and a measuring cuo you flip. One side has cups and one has oz.....

they are great. invest!!!
  • prettyinpink
    prettyinpink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yes... I would get a scale. I found mine at walmart for $7-8. You would be surprised how much you are really eating! :oP
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    When I was doing Weight Watchers, a good way to measure when you don't have a scale, is to visualize the size of a deck of cards for chicken or beef or the size of your fist for 1 cup. It gets easier but be careful everyones fist are not the same size, but at least it will help in a pinch.
  • Rachael2179
    Rachael2179 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I bought a scale also and it's great! :smile:
  • flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    I bought a simple balance scale from the grocery store. You can usually find one for under 10 dollars. It has helped me tremendously. And I discovered I was way underestimating how much my meat weighed! I guess it's better to over-estimate calories but still ... yee-ay more meat!
  • ltalakai277
    ltalakai277 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!