Who has the time to work out?!

Options
I am serious about losing weight this year and eating 1200 a calories a day almost seems impossible to me. I have been going over by 100-200 cals a day :(
I want to start working out and doing come cardio, however with school and work I just seem to be tired and not motivated. I would like to start getting up early in the morning and working out before my day begins but I can't seem to get myself out of bed. Any suggestions???

Replies

• rebecca_d35
    Options
    I don't really have time, but I really try to make time. I work full-time and have little kids. At least three or four mornings a week, I leave for work before 7, run on a path near work, then come back to the office to shower and dress. On the weekends, my husband and I trade home duties while the other gets exercise (yoga and running for me, soccer for him). I fit it in where I can. But it is HARD sometimes, especially in the winter when it's cold and dark. Hard but worth it; I feel better all day if I exercise in the morning. Good luck!
  • gigglepiggle
    gigglepiggle Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    A key for me is to find something I actually enjoy doing, otherwise I'll find every excuse not to exercise.

I don't have time to go to the gym but I do have time to go for a walk/jog/gossip with a neighbour and I also make time to do some Zumba on the Wii
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You just have to schedule it into your routine just like you do everything else. I teach full time and am getting my masters (not to mention have 3 kids who play club sports). I schedule in my run when it works for me. I run 4 days a week. 3 of those days are weekdays and I do it during my lunch hour (the time between class I teach and class I take). Thankfully the university has a nice gym I can shower in.

Find something that is a good work-out and is short. I run a base of 5 miles (50 minutes) but if I only have 20 minutes I will do a speed work-out. 30 day shred is only 25 minutes a day.

Once you make it a routine it will seem less like a hassle!
  • ras21
    ras21 Posts: 9
    Options
    Working out first thing in the morning can actually give you more energy throughout the day. : ) Make a routine putting your work out clothes out and ready for the morning and make the mind set that it is something you have to do like brushing your teeth. Love the saying, "If it is to be it is up to me". Stay focused and don't be afraid to push yourself. : )
  • shsml
    shsml Posts: 14
    Options
    Just do it. I work nights 4 times a week and have 2 kids. It's bloody hard but if you really want to lose this you just need to get your mind in the right place. Have you a partner who is supportive?? if so ask them for some time out couple times a week so you can exercise. it might mean having to rearrange evening or morning schedules and being a lot more organised. It makes such a difference to your mental health and your attitude towards loosing the weight. I wish you the best of luck and believe me it is so worth it. Shauna x
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat more without gaining weight, you have to exercise. Follow mfp.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    It is hard. When I started this a year ago, I worked 30 hours a week, and was full time in my last semester at school. I made time after classes, or days I had late classes. It was difficult, but worth it. I also have 3 children, so I have to get creative at times.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    People do what they want.

You don't work out because you don't want to. Weight loss is hard. I've lost 75 lbs and I can guarantee you that.
    No one can motivate you if you don't want to do it. The choice is yours.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    You probably don't want to hear this but you've GOT to find the time, you have to, it's there, just do it!! You'll be rewarded!
  • Ashalena
    Ashalena Posts: 162
    Options
    The day somebody said to me "somebody somewhere who is busier than you are is working out."
    That gave me motivation. I work a full time job, part time school and tend to my brother. It took a long time to figure it out, but I do find the time to get to the gym 4-5 times a week now.

You have to promise yourself you will wake up early. When you want it bad enough, nothing will stand in your way.

Much luck to you :drinker:
  • Kelblue1
    Kelblue1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Honesty you just have to make up your mind to do it and someone else said find something you like. I am running now and doing 30DS. I get up about an hour earlier than needed to get these done. It is really hard at first, but remember that after you do it for a week or so your body will get used to it and you won't have as hard a time getting up anymore.

I do have to say, I do have more energy thru out the day when I work out early, plus I since I started working out... I sleep alot better too!
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I think the hardest part about working out in the morning is getting out of bed. I'm just so warm and comfy that I don't want to move. However, I do it anyway because I know how great exercising makes me feel! I have more energy throughout the day and I feel a sense of accomplishment when I hit the gym before work.

Do it three times a week for two weeks and see how you feel. Make sure you go to sleep at a decent hour so that you get at least 8 hours. I even put my gym clothes, water bottle, and cereal bowl out the night before as motivation. That way I don't even have to get anything ready that morning.
  • CLI_2012
    Options
    It's tough...but doable. I agree with the poster who said you have to find your fit...finding time to do something you really like is easier than finding time to do something you hate. I also agree that you need to schedule it in like an appointment. At least that is what I have to do. I'm very habitual, so if it is an automatic that on Wednesday nights it is Boxersize I can't talk my way out of it.
  • shadow9012
    shadow9012 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think its ok to eat a couple hundred over 1200,I do a few days a week,I have lost 28 pounds so far! and I know what you mean about finding time to workout,I have 3 jobs and am so tired at the end of the day,but I somehow find 20-30 min a night to do a workout video,good luck!
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    People do what they want.

You don't work out because you don't want to. Weight loss is hard. I've lost 75 lbs and I can guarantee you that.
    No one can motivate you if you don't want to do it. The choice is yours.

This is true.
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    Work and other 'stuff' have got in the way of sleep lately... I step on my step machine thingy for 15 minutes and then take the dog for a run... Generally after midnight, alarm goes off at 6am! I'm OK once I get my feet moving more than 30 steps a minute!!!
  • msloann7
    Options
    Thanks guys! I think I'll try the 30-day shred- only 25 mins, that seems like a good place to start!
  • audreygumm
    Options
    That's how I feel!!! I hate working out and finding the time to do it is even harder. What I did is I bought a kettle bell from Walmart and I put together a workout that is tough and gets you panting at the end. I do a total of 50 kettle bell swings, 5 bicep curls on each arm, 10 tricep extensions, 10 bent over back rows for each arm, and 20 pli'es or however you spell it. It literally takes 10-15 minutes and I feel really good afterwards. 15 minutes is very easy to squeeze in in the morning. Just push in the time somewhere.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    You make time for what's important to you. That's it!

I usually wake up early to get my exercise in; then there's no time to make up excuses. Also, setting interim goals (run a certain distance in a certain time, or whatever makes sense for you) helps me, since there's a distinct purpose for getting up; I just trained and competed in my first marathon, for instance, so it was easy to get up and run so that I would be able to complete the race under the time I was reaching for.

Just do it!!!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Sorry for being blunt - but if you are truly serious about it you will make time - it is not all that hard to find 30 minutes to an hour 2 to 3 times a week.....if you are serious about wanting to workout and improve your health....