Snacks that can sit around for weeks.

Options
Hi all! Looking for some ideas. Just throw them at me.

I've recently taken up cycling. Just a couple of miles a day, so far, but this is on top of the walking I usually do to and from the office.

I work full-time, and I'm self-employed, so I lead a hectic schedule. I'm a pretty picky eater, and my fiance's even worse. He cooks, because I just don't have time in amongst everything else I need to do.

Today, I burned 478 calories walking and 79 cycling - 557 in total.

Last year, I was doing great at my weight loss, then I stalled. I struggled for months, and only just managed to get back on track before Christmas. I'm not ready to do that again, so I'm trying to keep my calories as close to my goal as possible.

Today, by the time I was done exercising I had over 1000 calories to make up, including my normal deficit. Clearly, that's not good enough. Since I was rushing and couldn't think on the spot, I grabbed some garlic bread on the way home to go with my Quorn spaghetti bolognese. I eat crisps with my weekend lunch, and I had to take a pack today to top up, too. This is the first day I've gone over my sodium goal in as long as I can remember.

Now, bearing in mind that I'm too busy to shop regularly, and I won't always be burning these calories so I need food that can wait around for days, maybe even weeks, I need your suggestions for healthy-ish snacks. Any you can think of that aren't fresh, so can be stored in a cupboard. I need items I can grab on days like today, so I've no need to top up with garlic bread. All help appreciated!

Replies

• cneale91
    cneale91 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    nuts and rasins! ive just had some almonds and seedless raisins :)
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Lara Bars............ YUM!
  • cneale91
    cneale91 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    forgot to add cereal bars , flavoured rice cakes like snack-a-jacks, ryvita minis ect :) im a student away from home so this is basically what i have in my room :) xx
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yogurt, Granola, Hummus, Low fat popcorn, Whole wheat crackers and laughing cow cheese, Celery with Natural no salt peanut butter, egg whites, low sugar cereal but watch portion size.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Granola bars. Energy bars. Little containers of applesauce or other canned type fruits. Nuts, of course.

From Amazon, you can get Cliffy Ropes and Stretch Island fruit leather cheaply and in bulk.

String cheese usually has a long shelf life.
  • Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Twinkies
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    light popcorn, any kind of nut or dried fruit (pick a day and pre-portion them into little bags or cups)...

I'll sometimes make my own trail mix - usually some Kashi cereal, nuts, dried craisins, and a bit of dark chocolate chips.

Have you looked into those produce delivery services? Sounds like it'd be great for you - essentially, once a week they drop off a basket of fresh fruits and veggies. Great way to try new things and great if you don't have time to get to the grocery store often!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    K7-60045-X500.gif
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Bump :bigsmile:
  • pbl1966
    pbl1966 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Soy Crisps (like rice cakes but with soy protein)
    Roasted Soy nuts or Edamame
    Kashi Pita Chips have a decent amount of protein and fiber.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep 'em coming. I'm about to create my longest shopping list in a very long time...
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    u can also always do some whey protein. comes in big containers, mix in with some milk add maybe some peanut butter, or a banana. it also keeps u full and is a great way to get that extra that u need. thats what i use anyways. best of luck!
  • Inebriated
    Options
    Emerald Cocoa Roasted Almonds (yum!) , dried fruit, peanut butter, Lara bars.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    nuts and rasins! ive just had some almonds and seedless raisins :)

This and get yourself into seeds. Since you are forcing yourself to make up cals treat the seeds as medicine for your body. They are good for you so who cares if you like them. Also dark chocolate at least 70% cocoa to go with all of the above. Nom nom nom
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    bump
  • candeoludere
    Options
    I bought some apples last week and was shocked at how long they're lasting. Just regular Golden Delicious, but they've been sitting out with no spots or anything. I'm probably going to toss them into the fridge soon, just to make sure they don't go bad, but it's great to be able to buy a big bag of them and just take one to work with me every day.
  • lynnmarie60
    Options
    Fiber bars, 90-100 calorie snacks fit & active puddings, 35 calorie bread.
  • JoGarrett86
    Options
    I keep slim fast bars, cereal bars, crackerbread and laughing cow light cheese around. Anything that's low in fat and has under 100 calories are normally good snacks to keep around
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    As my weight loss has slowed I have figured out that the things I eat that can be stored is the reason why I'm not losing weight:cry: