Resolutionists at the gym?

Options
124»

Replies

• LukeDoolittle
    Options
    I haven't seen an additional soul in the weightroom.

However I must admit that I go at 5am and if you are a resolutionist you probably aren't going that early.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm not offended or annoyed because the gym is busy. I am frustrated that many of those folks who are taking up room in the gym have no real desire to do what it actually takes to get fit, and it's not because they simply don,t know any better, it's because they don't try to learn. If you don't care enough to make the effort to learn, then please don't bother joining.

THIS. I can't count how many times I've heard "I do some arm and leg machines" and they don't even know what exercises they're doing, what muscles each exercise works, etc. If you don't even know what you're doing, how can you effectively achieve your own goals? Makes no sense to me. Why spend the money each month (or all at once if you're doing a 12+ month deal) and then fart around? What does that accomplish besides pissing people off?

Also, the gym staff should be more proactive about making sure class sizes are kept to a safe minimum (60 people in Zumba is just WAY too much - hello, sign up sheets?) and that new people have the proper knowledge to perform the exercises safely and effectively, for their own injury prevention as well as others'. My gym offers a free session with a personal trainer. What a great idea! The perfect venue to ask questions in a one-on-one setting, learn how to use the equipment, and understand the gym's rules. Brilliant. Too bad not all gyms offer this.

I don't go to the gym anymore because I don't have time between work, school, 2+ hours of commuting, and practice... but when I have more free time and I go back, I will hope for the best and do what I can to help people who appear to be lost or confused. (Keeping in mind, of course, that not everyone WANTS help.)
  • Leesseebee
    Options
    I am always theoretically glad that people are making the move to work out and lead a healthy lifestyle, but in practice, I would really like them to get the heck off the spin bike that used to be mine!
    I also long for Feb when most of them will go away, but I feel like such an a-hole for thinking that!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    People are using this thread to vent their frustration at the minority of new members who are not taking it seriously and are tying up equipment or ignoring etiquette.
    Not really. Most of the new members at my gym seem to be taking it seriously, and most of them seem pretty clued up as to etiquette, probably because of the excellent instructors.

What I'm frustrated at is the sheer weight of numbers.

Doesn't mean I don't think they have an equal right to be there, if they're serious they deserve to be there, and unfortunately there's no foolproof way of weeding out the quitters.

It's like being stuck in masses of holiday traffic. You just wish everyone else on the roads didn't exist! :bigsmile:
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I go to one of the nicer gyms in town and it's usually busy at 5:30pm anyway. I don't even bother going in January at the normal "after work" time. But... I remember that the people who make a resolution and stick to it are people I can get behind and people who make a resolution and don't stick to it are the ones who supplement my inexpensive membership fee. Either way, there's an up-side. :)
  • 3shirts
    3shirts Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    People are using this thread to vent their frustration at the minority of new members who are not taking it seriously and are tying up equipment or ignoring etiquette.
    Not really. Most of the new members at my gym seem to be taking it seriously, and most of them seem pretty clued up as to etiquette, probably because of the excellent instructors.

Which is why I said "the minority". You are right, MOST are great. But it's the few who aren't that annoy me.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I posted a status about this a few days ago lol i wish i could tell the difference between the ones that will stick with it and the ones that will give up because i want to tell the ones who are going to quit to leave now lol i workout at a university gym so it get ridiculous
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Well we all have to start somewhere. Last year I was one of those "resolutionists". But I kept at it. And still at it.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I have YET to step foot in my school's gym since sometime right before Christmas. #1: b/c they were closed between that time and New Years for an entire week and a day, and because I went out of town, and then I got a bit lazy this week. This may be for the best though, lol. I'm a bit afraid though, school starts to tomorrow, officially and I know it will be packed, I'm happy for everyone and hope a good amount of people see their goals through. But I do loath the giggly girls who come to look at boys and not workout, it's irritating, especially the loud talkers
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Thats right now...Im decide to get a membership in feb...in the meantime im using my mini gym in my house weight cyling pilates and etc...but i do want the gym atomosphere again..
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    College girls that come in groups of 2-4 and go from machine to machine doing 2-3 reps before deciding "this machine's too hard" and then giggling and talking for 10 minutes before moving on to something else. College guys who are there just to try and show off to their buddies how much they can bench or curl. One guy tonight was so intent on keeping his muscles flexed at all times while walking around the gym that he literally looked like someone had shoved a telephone pole up his rectum.

LOL I hate all that! My gym was too packed by November!!!! So I started working out at home again. I don't even want to imagine what that place is like now! It's just as annoying when groups of boys or men are working out together! Chances are those guys with phones up their @sses are all juiced up. I love it when their neck veins are popping out and they're looking around all suspicious. And chicks that giggle when their men are training them... "Hehehe... I don't want to do that! I don't want to look like a man! No way! Ugh, this is too hard... I'll go to the thigh adductor/abductor because I can do that all day long! Gimme those 3lb weights!"
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I will go ahead and echo most posts thus far...

I hate this time of year. You do not need gym ett to know you are being a rude a hole and standing in the way.

Please also remember no one is too hot to wipe down a machine. Those rags and bottles of spray are not for decoration.

The gym is not a day care. So if you bring your child please keep an eye on them. Too many times I see parents working out and their kids are jumping all over machines and playing with the screens.

I always help someone when I can but most times people dont want the help or look at you like they already knew that. Oh well..

A month or so and things will all be back to normal.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Well we all have to start somewhere. Last year I was one of those "resolutionists". But I kept at it. And still at it.

If you're still at it after a year I'd say you're not a resolutionist. A year of work shows that you're committed.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Not too busy at my gym atm because a lot of people aren't back at work yet. BUT very busy at yoga. Hard to get my place, but that is just me being ridiculous, I had to stand up the front, which means I can't pike out when I get tired, actually much better experience for me. I just had to suck it up.

GG