ladies, is it okay to workout while you have your monthly th

Options
yes you get it. your monthly period. and congratulate me, i got back my period last night. i'd never had my period for 5 months because of restricting too much calories and working out like crazy. so yea, i'm happy about getting it back because i know for sure my body's back to normal. after the starvation mode and messing up my metabolism. but i'm quite worried as well because i don't know if i should workout or not. i don't want to just sit around all week and be inactive but i don't wanna go overboard and scare it away again. lol.

what should i do so i'm not just on my bum the whole week yet making sure i won't have amenorrhea again?

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If your body restarted your period, whatever you have been doing is obviously ok and won't "scare it away" :-) So long as you don't have cramps that are preventing you from normal activity, get out there and treat this week as any other.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    From a medical point of view, exercise is fine when you have TOM. Gentle exercise helps when you have cramps etc. Some people even feel more energetic during TOM. So in principal there is nothing stopping you from exercising. As long as you stick to the right amount of calories and don't starve yourself again, it shouldn't have an effect on TOM but if you are insecure... go and see a GP ^^
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    Not knowing the specifics of your issues, so it may be different for you. Generally, I just do what I would normally do, but if I am feeling tired or crampy I do it at a lower intensity. Low intensity exercise is very good for cramps in my experience. I would guess that you are on a more moderate program and eating enough, so in that case I would guess you should be fine to do what you would normally do, maybe just take it a little easier if you need to.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you wipe down the machines when you're done
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how your body is feeling. Im on it as we speak and im still working out. i found that by doing so it helps with the cramping..which is a hige plus for me..lol
  • Chinique
    Options
    Definitely workout....I find my cramps are worse when I don't although sometimes I find I don't have the same level of endurance.
  • vxjammiedodgerxv
    vxjammiedodgerxv Posts: 42 Member
    Options

this made me go eww and LOL at the same time lmao
  • emy10284
    emy10284 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

wow lol
  • mamaofscj
    mamaofscj Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I was provided a personal trainer when I first joined a gym and she wanted to get right to work so asked me to come in the next day, I told her I was on my period so didn't really feel like it. She said that working out when you're on your period was very good for your body and not to use it as an excuse lol. I don't know your whole situation but that was my experience and from then I've never again used being on my period as an excuse not to work out :)

12066732.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I would like to point out that it is not advisable to to inverted yoga poses on day 1 of your period. Everything else should be fine as long as you feel up to it. It's not a disease.
  • SnuggleXPuff
    SnuggleXPuff Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Like someone posted before me, if it's finally come back now that you've 'toned down', so to speak, with your fitness and calorie restrictions then I wouldn't be worried about it. Just try to keep things the way they are.

Also, congratulations! It's great to hear that your body is getting back to normal.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    TOM days are just like any other day, providing you're not one that gets bed ridden during that time. Do what you would normally do.
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options

this made me go eww and LOL at the same time lmao

^^Exactly!
  • neclar
    neclar Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Personally, i work out during my TOM. I do however gain water and puff-up during those days so i know not to expect much of a loss during that time. walking and swimming ( if you can) are a few things i can do during my TOM. hope that helps. and congrats !!! hope you body responds well to the new changes. and good luck .
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Like someone else said, it's not a disease. :) You might feel more tired/sluggish on the first and/or second day, and you probably won't see much weight loss, but exercise will help with cramps (if that's an issue). Just be kind to yourself!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    That's the best time to workout. You're body is "renewing" itself, so to speak. I have awesome workouts when manstrating. Just make sure to check the tampons regularly...
  • Tiffany_Danielle88
    Options
    I get bloated and my pain is horrible (currently on it). Cramping so bad I don't even want to think of working out. Seriously, laying on the couch is work enough.

If I wasn't in pain I would be in there. But I am hoping by tomorrow it will be over and I can get back to it.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i have PCOS and endometriosis, so my periods were really bad, heavy, and i literally couldn't leave my bedroom during days 1 & 2. i joined a gym and started working out and after 2 months, my periods got lighter and now it's a breeze! NO cramps and light light light! i'm so excited. i have lost 23 lbs (which is hard to do with PCOS) and i feel so much better. i always work-out during my cycle. i make sure to wear extra protection, and take a bit of tylenol beforehand on cycle day 1. i have heard of women/girls who work-out so much their cycles stop as you described. but having fewer periods in your life is actually healthier (less exposure to estrogen) so if it happens again, as long as you know you're not pregnant, don't worry about it at all.
  • sheystar
    Options
    wow. i didn't expect so much of a reply. thank you all for your responses. and i learned something new today-- exercising actually helps ease the cramps. or at least that's what most of you are telling me :) i'm just gonna do low intensity workouts like the aerobics on wii fit and i might as well go for a walk tonight. thank you guys!
  • sheystar
    Options
    i have heard of women/girls who work-out so much their cycles stop as you described. but having fewer periods in your life is actually healthier (less exposure to estrogen) so if it happens again, as long as you know you're not pregnant, don't worry about it at all.

really? haha well i guess my amenorrhea had some benefits as well. haha. the only thing that concerned me when it happened is the fact that i wasn't releasing the wastes and toxins inside my body. and i'm also afraid of complications i would find out later and it would be too late to correct it.