How much Exercise should we do to loose weight ?

Options
I want to loose at least 50-60 pounds, can someone shed some light on how much exercise i should be doing and how many times a weeks.

I have started working out at the gym: my goal is to go at least 4-5 x a week
1. Warm up 5 mins
2. one day i do upper body weights then alternate the next day
3. Cardio: Treadmill with incline of 6-9 with speed of 3.4 = 25 to 30 mins
4. Cardio: Ellipitical = 20-25 mins level 2 usually around 4.4 speed

This is what i do when i go to the gym i need to change it up anyone got some tips for me... :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mags080611
    mags080611 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well they say you have to burn at least 500 calories a day and it takes 3500 calorie defficient to lose 1 pound. I currently am doing Zumba and boy does that work!!
  • taco_tap
    taco_tap Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to change things up, put the incline down on the treadmill and go FASTER.
    Try a few new machines or free weights in the weights area. Just ask someone for help-an employee or someone who looks friendly(I'm a fan of this approach-I ask a gal who had a very strong physique(read one I wanted to have!) for help. Turns out she's in school to be a personal trainer, so she's going to train me-for FREE!)
    Try a bike
    Try a class
    If you are doing strength AND cardio each day, change it to 1 day ALL weights, 1 day ALL cardio.
    Up the weight on your strength training-read this blog about the myth of "bulking up" when increasing weight:http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • Beenszter
    Beenszter Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thx MFP buddies.... Ok so i've got the so called "Thunder Thighs"... any tips on shapping those suckers up, LOL ?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Your thighs will tone up and shed fat as you lose weight, and as you work out. There's no speedy route through that.

It's sensible to do squats and lunges etc - don't just push weights for your upper body. And make sure you're pushing decent weights, not girly pink ones.
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    If you want fast results you need to be walking everyday on the TM at 2-3 MPH on a incline 10-15% for massive results. walk for 1hr per day and you will shed the pounds.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    There's some good info here but you should know that muscles are made in the gym and fat is lost in the kitchen. Of course you burn calories when you work out but it's actually very inefficient. I'm sure you know this already as you're liking using the MFP app! Anyways, just as an example here's some activities and how long you need to perform them just to burn off a Big Mac sandwich

48 minutes sit ups
    65 minutes shovelling
    155 minutes shopping for food
    129 minutes playing the guitar
    32 minutes hard rowing
    111 minutes light rowing
    48 minutes walking at 5mph
    117 minutes walking a 3mph
    35 minutes rock climbing
    194 minutes shaving
    48 minutes pull ups
    194 minutes driving a car
    155 minutes riding a scooter
    48 minutes playing beach volleyball
    55 minutes sawing wood
    129 minutes fishing
    148 minutes of vigorous sex
    206 minutes of less than vigorous sex
    129 minutes repairing your car
    155 minutes pushing a pram
    155 minutes in the bath
    55 minutes playing badminton
    65 minutes cycling at 10mph
    86 minutes playing golf
    39 minutes tae kwon do
    155 minutes playing pool
    259 minutes playing board games
    65 minutes pummelling a punch bag
    129 minutes carpentry
    155 minutes carrying the shopping
    43 minutes carrying furniture up stairs
    388 minutes kissing
    155 minutes dusting
    26 minutes running up stairs
    32 minutes trail running
    129 minutes cleaning windows
    97 minutes sweeping
    111 minutes vacuuming
    259 minutes typing
    77 minutes playing cricket
    155 minutes styling your hair
    97 minutes gardening
    70 minutes mowing the lawn
    39 minutes skipping
    169 minutes ironing
    39 minutes playing water polo
    129 minutes plastering
    97 minutes playing table tennis
    388 minutes watching films
    129 minutes body surfing
    46 minutes mountain biking
    97 minutes giving a massage
    39 minutes swimming crawl
    155 minutes stretching
    324 standing still
    43 minutes on the step machine
    32 minutes playing squash
    77 minutes skateboarding
    194 minutes standing around talking
    259 minutes sitting down talking
    39 minutes playing 11 a side football
    259 minutes watching sport
    65 minutes lifting weights hard
    129 minutes lifting weights moderate
    18 minutes running on a treadmill at 8mph on a 15% incline
    86 minutes dancing
    39 minutes playing rugby
    39 minutes karate
    259 minutes surfing the net
    427 minutes sleeping

As you can see, NOT putting food in your mouth in the first place is BY FAR the fastest and most efficient way to lose weight. As for the best exercise to lose weight, well, that will be whichever exercise you enjoy most. This is because you're most likely to keep doing it and consistency is the key to any body goals.

Good luck!
  • MHunte
    Options
    ^^^^ I think you are being funny with that resopnd, anyway...............

Most people report that weight loss and increased cardiovascular fitness are their principle
    goals when beginning an exercise program. Increased muscular fitness and appearance are
    also high on the list of goals. For the working professional, the over-extended, or the
    individual not wanting to spend hours and hours at the gym, the search for optimal exercise
    training is of preeminent importance. This search begins with bioenergetics and, as you will
    see, ends with incline training.In order to enhance cardiovascular fitness, the lungs, heart, blood vessels, muscle tissue,
    mitochondria, and the oxidative energy system must be stressed. This stress, often measured
    by heart rate, results in improved function by some or all of the physiological components
    involved. Research has shown that exercise intensities at or above 75% of age-predicted
    maximal heart rate are needed to stimulate significant improvements in aerobic fitness.
    Generally, exercisers must speed up their movement pace in order to elicit such a large
    increase in heart rate. This increase in speed may increase risk of injury and, as seen below,
    actually decreases the amount of fat utilized during exercise.
    The oxidative energy system is the only system capable of utilizing large amounts of fat for
    energy. In order to function as the predominant source of energy, the oxidative system
    requires that exercise be performed at a relatively slow pace. This is a result of the many
    enzyme reactions needed to transform fat tissue into a usable form. While a person is
    walking, the oxidative system is able to provide the majority of energy, resulting in fat being
    utilized to fuel. As an individual begins to run, caloric expenditure increases due to greater
    amounts of muscle tissue activated in order to propel the body at a faster speed; however, the
    rate of movement requires a gradual shift from reliance on aerobic energy production to
    greater and greater reliance on anaerobic energy production. Running at faster speeds results
    in a larger number of calories being burned but those calories are predominantly from
    carbohydrate stores rather than stored fat. In order to burn larger amounts of fat, the amount
    of muscle tissue activated must be increased while maintaining a slower pace of movement.
    Enter incline training! Examining Physiological Changes during Treadmill Exercise
    Recent research conducted under the direction of Dr. Matthew Rhea, Director of Human
    Movement at A.T. Still University, demonstrates the changes that occur when an individual
    exercises at different speeds and inclines on the Incline Trainer. This research used exercise
    science tools to measure changes in heart rate, oxygen consumption, caloric expenditure, and
    muscle activation under different exercise conditions. Among a group of 30 year old adults,
    walking at 3 mph with 12% incline resulted in the same heart rate at running at 6 mph on flat
    surface. The slower speed can be beneficial to reduce risk of injury during treadmill exercise
    while still obtaining the needed cardiovascular benefits.
    EMG measures, which identify the amount of muscle tissue activation, demonstrated
    important changes with the use of incline as well. At 0% incline, only about 20% of muscle
    tissue was activated in the legs. As incline was increased, muscle activity in the calf,
    hamstring, and gluteus increased. At inclines above 15%, muscle tissue activation in the legs
    approached and exceeded 75% of maximal isometric contraction.
    Perhaps the most significant finding of this research was the change in fat utilization at slow
    speeds and high inclines. With increased muscle activation at higher speeds and inclines,
    calorie expenditure increases. If only speed is used to increased energy demand, the body
    must use more and more carbohydrates as fuel because fat utilization takes too long.
    However, with the use of incline to increase demand while keeping the speed at 2-3 mph,
    physiological measures and calculations such as oxygen consumption and respiratory
    exchange ration demonstrated that fat utilization increases dramatically. It was hypothesized
    that the slower speeds allowed the processes involved in fat utilization to keep up with the
    energy demand. At 2 mph and 16% incline, over 6 calories per minute from fat were utilized.
    This was compared to less than 2 calories per minute from fat used at 6 mph and 0% incline.
    These data demonstrate the increased physiological demands while walking or running at an
    incline and present several useful applications of incline training. Individuals seeking
    increases in muscular fitness, cardiovascular fitness, and weight loss can effectively use
    incline to enhance the effectiveness of treadmill training. The most apparent benefits in these
    areas occur at inclines above 10%.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Thx MFP buddies.... Ok so i've got the so called "Thunder Thighs"... any tips on shapping those suckers up, LOL ?
    Try incorporating some plyometrics between lower body sets. Ex. If you're doing three sets of lunges, do a set of jump squats in between each set. This keeps your hear rate up and burns tons of calories. Also doing HIIT (eg. sprints for 30 seconds and walking for a minute) for about 20-30 mins on a treadmill setting your incline at 8 is great for toning your legs as well as burning body fat =)
  • MHunte
    Options
    And try Dumbbell Walking Lunges for the so called "Thunder Thighs" :)