Vegetarian Recipes?

Options
LaurN326
LaurN326 Posts: 99 Member
Anyone have any good vegetarian recipes? I'm finding myself bored with the same old food.

Replies

• bosoxjenn
    bosoxjenn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like to bake spaghetti squash, scoop out the squash and mix it with canned diced tomatoes, black beans and random veggies. It's different, tasty and one of those meals where whatever you have works.
  • amykingsley1
    amykingsley1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Copied and pasted from a FB message I sent someone:

A couple of my own real quick- the first one is for a wild rice and kale soup. Just guidelines- I play with it every time I make it.

You need-

a package of Uncle Ben's Wild Rice
    one bunch of kale
    onion
    carrots
    milk
    cheese
    butter or oil of some kind
    Any other veggies you like or want (celery is good, you can add spinach too)
    Veggie or chicken broth

Sautee the diced onions, cut up carrots and rice with the seasoning in the butter or oil for a bit, then add some broth and let it simmer for a while. I also sometime toss in some minute rice to make it thicker after this has simmered for like 20 min. Cut the kale up and toss it in, bring back to a simmer for a bit until the kale is soft, then just add the milk and cheese like you would for any othr creamy soup at the end. I have used gruyere cheese (that's what the original recipe called for) but if you don't feel like being that fancy regular old shredded co-jack worked well too. Awesome with bread.

I also just came up with an awesome vegetarian chili recipe:

1 Butternut squash
    1 sweet potato
    red onion
    red pepper
    canned chili, cannelini, and kidney beans (or whatever beans you like)
    Canned stewed tomatos (fresh are expensive and tasteless here so I use canned)
    brown sugar and if you have it, molasses
    veggie broth
    chili powder, salt/pepper, whatever other seasoning you like

I skinned and cut up the sweet potato, butternut squash, and onion and boiled in veggie broth with chili powder/salt/pepper until tender, then added the diced red pepper and canned stuff as well as the brown sugar (a few tablespoons, I guestimated) and molasses (like 1-2 tablespoons)- I just added it to taste. Anyway, turns out nice and spicy/sweet but it makes a lot so make sure you can share with friends or coworkers.

A couple I like from the internet:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Vegetarian-Red-Beans-Lasagna/

and

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Butternut-Squash-and-Garlic-Lasagna/
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/herbed-lentils-and-rice/detail.aspx

I make LOTS of versions of this recipe. There are about 50 responses to this recipe with different people adding their own alterations, but my main two are that I add a lot more vegetables, usually celery and mushrooms, I add some light cream of mushroom soup and I don't put any cheese in.

But there are so many ways to use the basic recipe and brown rice and lentils are crazy good for you.
  • vachm
    vachm Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have found so many great vegetarian recipes in this cookbook - Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites.
    This cookbook is my go to cookbook when I'm bored with beans and rice.
    Their recipe for black bean and sweet potato burritos is fantastic!