Help, Bra Size question

Options
I have been losing weight around my rib cage and my bras arent fitting right. I measured myself and have used the calculators online and get sizes ranging from 40DD-36J. I have worn a 38DD for the last 2 years. The girl at Victoria's Secret said I was a 42DD and that they dont carry those sizes here. Any ideas? My measurements are :
Bust:46, Underbust:36.
Thanks!

Replies

• jreimund
    Options
    even tho your rib cage is 36, if you go up to a 42 you'll have more room in the cup (so maybe go down to 42D) and you'll just have to secure the clasp all the way in :) and I boycott victoria's secret, they've never carried my size...lol. bras are so hard, you just have to find one that works! and with losing weight, it's gonna change a lot. good luck to you
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    If you are in the US go to Layne Bryant - awesome bras there - in Canada I go to Penningtons/Aditionelle
    I was told to wear a 46D (REDICULOUS)
    I wore a 42D
    I would suggest a 40DD for you from the sounds of it
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    fredericks of hollywood and lane bryant.
  • rhce40
    rhce40 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i buy my "good" bras from bali/hanes, it is a store of pretty much just bras but i do not know where all they are
  • Bonniebigbutt
    Options
    Defiately go and get professionally fitted.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I have to order online as no where local carries my size. Fredericks of hollywood is good....sometimes I just go a google search and buy whatever is pretty and will fit from whatever store pops up.
  • kaligrl1
    Options
    My measurements are
    37 under bust
    42 bust
    I can confortably wear a 36DD or even 38DD. I have also struggled with different bras and finding some that fit the right way.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    How frustrating! I have never been able to figure out bra sizing and I'm 53 years old! The system that they use to figure it out doesn't make any sense and any time I've had an "expert" do it, they want me to wear a size that doesn't feel like it fits right at all. I hate bras!
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I agree - probably 40DD...

And BAH to VS.

http://www.breakoutbras.com/
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I have been losing weight around my rib cage and my bras arent fitting right. I measured myself and have used the calculators online and get sizes ranging from 40DD-36J. I have worn a 38DD for the last 2 years. The girl at Victoria's Secret said I was a 42DD and that they dont carry those sizes here. Any ideas? My measurements are :
    Bust:46, Underbust:36.
    Thanks!

Skip Victoria's secret for measuring. They are WAY off. Go to Nordstrom if you can. My measurments are pretty close to yours. I am about 45 or 46 around and 37 under. I generally wear a 36H or 36GG or a 38 FF/ G in other brands (Namely Freya). My guess is, you will wear a 36 DDD/F/FF or so. I bet we are pretty close in size.

Also, Fredericks only goes up to DDD. Lane Bryant doesn't carry all the sizes in store, especially for smaller ribcages. You might have better success at Macy's, they tend to have DDD. Do not wear a 40-anything, it willl be way too big in than band and unflattering. When I outgrew the 38DDs (or realized they did not fit) I tried to go up to 40, and just kept falling out. Then
    I got fitted at a fancy lingerie store, and they took one look and said, there is no way you wear a 40.
  • Smarternow
    Options
    Agree with this..... I never buy a bra off the rack without being fitted!!
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Go to a department store to get fitted, they actually know what they are doing as oppose to VS. At least that has been my experience. I have found that in my area Dillard's is the best, they have bras in all the sizes (even up to an H) and have all price ranges.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I think it's hilarious that the Ah Bra is being advertised to the side of this thread ;)

I am a difficult size. I measure 32-34 (depending on what my weird body is doing that day) and cup size F as in 'what the F!?' I have had luck at Nordstrom's and at Fredrick's of Hollywood.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Seconded. I also wear a bra size that isn't carried in most places. Small around, huge boobs. HATE.
    I went to Nordstrom's and got fitted, best bra I've ever owned. Made all the difference. Also ate up half my life savings.

I feel this way every time. The bad thing about getting fit, I am going to have to spend $300 on new bras!!!!! Grrrrrr!!!! I will probably end up at 34.
  • luckybunny84
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I am going on a trip to a bigger town this weekend and will try to get measured some plas other than VS. Here that is the only store that offers measuring :grumble:
  • luckybunny84
    Options
    I agree a good comfortable bra should not break the bank. I always end up buying them as my treat to myself for birthdays and the such. I hate the quick tug that you have to do every time you stand back up from bending over. Or my favorite the fear that they may fall out while doing incline sit-ups at the gym. I am terrified of that happening!
  • annalynne1983
    Options
    I usually take a 30DD (8DD in NZ) since I lost weight (was about 14D once upon a time) and believe it or not, I have trouble finding a bra in NZ in the larger cup sizes with a small enough band.

I don't bother getting professionally fitted since I worked out what a good fitting bra should be like. Some professional fitters don't seem to be very good - you want to find a good fitter, get one brilliant bra, study it carefully and learn what to look for.

Also I find the sizing can be a bit arbitrary and weird so always try, don't go by size alone. Try on a range of band and cup sizes around where your measurements suggest.

Apparently most of the support is actually in the band, so you want this to fit very firmly (but not uncomfortably). There's some rule about not being able to put your hand under the back and being able to pull your hand away from your body - if you can get your hand away from your back against the bra band tension, it's too loose.

I also fit to the furthest out hook, not the middle, as I find the bands stretch quite a bit with wear.

Your bust should not spill out over the top or sides of the cup - if it does, the cup is too small. If the cup is crinkled, too big.

The band in front should sit flat on your rib cage and the whole breast should be in the bra, not caught under or over the underwire. The band should also be level all the way round, not riding up.

I'd suggest get the band size right, then play with cup size. As the band size goes up, the cup size decreases in letter for a similar "actual" cup size.

I find I have one side bigger than the other, so I fit the cups to the biggest breast, so it is perfect, then just deal with the fact that the other side will crinkle a wee bit. If you have a major difference, you can get inserts to pop into the bra on the small side.

I also find the bra style has almost a bigger impact on how well the bra fits than actual cup size. I find many styles don't work for me - any that push up, or sideways, or into the middle don't work for me. What works best for me is a bra with very full coverage cups, usually with 3 panels to each cup. I can't do those balconette or demi cup things, I would fall out the top if I bent over!

Bravissimo in the UK do good large cup/full range of band size bras - I bought up a bunch while in the UK recently as postage to NZ is a lot so too scared to do online ordering, as I find I need to try on every pair before I buy. I definitely can't just buy one size all the time in any style.

They have a fit guide: http://www.bravissimo.com/perfectfit/wearing-the-wrong-bra-size/

Oh one more thing - when you try them on, jump up and down a bit, bend over, etc. and make sure everything holds together with movement!

Hope some of that is helpful. It's all the wisdom I've collected while struggling to get used to my new bra size!!! Good luck!!!