Running Marathons and such..

Options
I want to look into running marathons, and start training. Thing is, I've never done it, I don't know anyone who does it, I don't know where to go to start training. I need some advice. Where do I start out?

Replies

• trlrnrgrl
    Options
    Awesome!!

One idea is to find your local running store and ask if they have any running groups - many offer weekly runs at different paces. You can learn a lot from joining a group like this, whether it's paid or free.

Another idea - check out the Runners World website - they have tons of great info for all levels. They also have a great beginners forum that anyone can post on and get advice, support, help.

Good luck!
  • f00fienugget
    f00fienugget Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here is, by far, one of the best training systems for novice runners: http://www.halhigdon.com/. Also, one of my favorite discussion boards is http://www.reddit.com/r/running. Best of luck and have fun!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of people on here who have run marathons... I just ran my first this past Sunday (which certainly doesn't qualify me as an expert to be giving out advice, but I'd be happy to help however I can!). We even have a group on here - "Marathon Runners - past, present, & future" that I'm sure would be glad to help you out.

I had a custom training program put together by an exercise physiologist, but a lot of people seem to use and like Hal Higdon's training programs.

Best of luck and let me know if I can be of any help!
  • kylielouttit
    kylielouttit Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My first marathon club meeting is tomorrow night! Crazy excited!

Best of luck! Add me if you want :)
  • BananaBee3
    Options
    I am doing Hal Higdon's Novice I training plan right now. You can just Google it and it'll show up...I have done the Chicago marathon twice and am training for the Glasscity marathon in April.

I think one of the most important things is to start off slow...no need to rush into things. Take walk breaks when you need them. Typically when I incorporate walk breaks, I finish just as fast or a bit faster than my goal time or what it normally takes for me to run a certain distance.

I've read many places that it is recommended that you are able to run comfortably for 30 min before starting any training program. Havinga good base is important as well.
  • riacurtis
    riacurtis Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am currently training for a half marathon w/ team in training. The train you for free but u have to raise money for Lukemia and blood cancer. I I love it. Look it up www.teamintraining.org
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Do you currently run? If not, maybe do a 5k plan to start?
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I started with a 5K goal. I know tons of people who used Jeff Galloway's Couch to 5K program. I did the 5K on my own, but now i'm training for a 1/2 marathon and am using his 1/2 program. Be sure you get the right shoes before you head out!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    My 1st I used the book A non Runners Guide to train for a Marathon. (buy on ebay if can!)

I ran my 1st in 2007 very fat. I must warn you. Its hard to lose weight sometimes training for a full marathon. You are extemely hungry and you have this feeling that you get to eat..so watch out!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Find a training program and take your time working through it. If you are starting out from an unfit level (like I did) then you need to be extra careful to go slow and avoid injuries.

Maybe find a shorter race as an interim goal to give you experience training and racing before you get to the marathon stage. I did a 12 k in August, now training for a half on 3 weeks.

And be aware that the time commitment to train for a marathon is going to be HUGE! I'm training for a half marathon and I've been running for up to 2.5 hours on the weekend and anywhere from 1 - 1.5 hours 3 times during the week. I couldn't fit any more into my day or my life, so training for a marathon is not for me.

Other advice from a new (1 year old now!) runner:
    - get good shoes
    - get a good bra (for the ladies!)
    - don't try to go too fast too soon, build up endurance and speed will come in time.
  • hisgirl86
    hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and support guys! you guys are awesome! Going to check out the websites now...:happy:
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    If you can find a local running club that will be a great help. There may be one near you even if you've never heard of it - I had no idea there was one near me until recently, even though I now know it's been around for years.

Ask around your friends (maybe put it on Facebook?) and you should be able to find one pretty close by. Most towns have one, cities will have several.
  • hisgirl86
    hisgirl86 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Checked out the websites, printed off a training program, and now on to looking for local running groups you guys are great :)
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    As someone who has run 7 marathons and ran the first 2 way too early in my running career, I would say WAIT and do some other races/distances first. If you want your marathon experience to be something other than a injury fest and a death march, start with something shorter and build up a good base. General rule of thumb is your should be running 30+ miles per week for a year. this will make your first marathon a way better experience - trust me on that.

After those first two horrible experiences, I took some time off and then ran 50+ miles per week for a few months because I was so scared of another bad experience. Finally #7 went pretty much according to plan.

Also, marathon training will NOT help you lose weight.
  • Jaymefirst
    Jaymefirst Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I don't understand...is this because you need to up calories to maintain the distance??? Not trying to be flippant, just trying to understand.
    Thx!
  • bert16
    Options

I don't understand...is this because you need to up calories to maintain the distance??? Not trying to be flippant, just trying to understand.
    Thx!

Many people lose weight during marathon training, so the "absoluteness" of the statement is incorrect. What she's pointing out is that you won't necessarily lose weight because people often eat more since they're hungrier from all the running, and they frequently use the extra running as an "excuse" to eat more than they should. As with any other activity (or lack of activity, for that matter) - if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose weight. If you don't, you won't.
  • brandyk77
    Options
    Running a marathon and losing weight really need to be two separate goals. Especially your first marathon as you will probably spend a great deal of the afternoon of your long run on the couch, napping, etc.

If you are looking for marathon training to get you to your goal weight, you will most likely be very disappointed. As I ramp up right now to start to train for mine, I am working RIGHT NOW to drop the 5 lbs I want. I know that if I don't do it now, I won't do it during the cycle and I could also negatively impact my training with a too severe calorie deficit.

In 2011, I spent the first 6 months running but not training for a full marathon. This allowed me to concentrate on weight loss and I dropped almost 40 lbs during that time frame. I then started marathon training and during the 4 months leading up to the race, I dropped 2 lbs. That is it. That is with 50+ miles per week, plus weight training. When my marathon came around however, I ran my best ever and felt great..well, until mile 22 at least :)

Long story short - pick your battles.
    Many people lose weight during marathon training, so the "absoluteness" of the statement is incorrect. What she's pointing out is that you won't necessarily lose weight because people often eat more since they're hungrier from all the running, and they frequently use the extra running as an "excuse" to eat more than they should. As with any other activity (or lack of activity, for that matter) - if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose weight. If you don't, you won't.
  • bert16
    Options
    Running a marathon and losing weight really need to be two separate goals. Especially your first marathon as you will probably spend a great deal of the afternoon of your long run on the couch, napping, etc.

If you are looking for marathon training to get you to your goal weight, you will most likely be very disappointed. As I ramp up right now to start to train for mine, I am working RIGHT NOW to drop the 5 lbs I want. I know that if I don't do it now, I won't do it during the cycle and I could also negatively impact my training with a too severe calorie deficit.

In 2011, I spent the first 6 months running but not training for a full marathon. This allowed me to concentrate on weight loss and I dropped almost 40 lbs during that time frame. I then started marathon training and during the 4 months leading up to the race, I dropped 2 lbs. That is it. That is with 50+ miles per week, plus weight training. When my marathon came around however, I ran my best ever and felt great..well, until mile 22 at least :)

Long story short - pick your battles.

I just lost ~20 lb. while training for my first marathon, which I ran this past Sunday - I achieved my goal for time and felt great throughout my training and the race itself. So I suppose everyone's different!
  • brandyk77
    Options
    Yes, everyone is. Congrats!
    [I just lost ~20 lb. while training for my first marathon, which I ran this past Sunday - I achieved my goal for time and felt great throughout my training and the race itself. So I suppose everyone's different!
  • bert16
    Options
    Yes, everyone is. Congrats!
    [I just lost ~20 lb. while training for my first marathon, which I ran this past Sunday - I achieved my goal for time and felt great throughout my training and the race itself. So I suppose everyone's different!

Thanks! :smile: Still coming down off the high.