Critique this advice from the trainer at the gym for me

Options

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Get a different trainer!!! Oh and for the record, you probably already know, women who lift weights ONLY get huge muscles if they're on steroids.

This is not true.

I am a trainer. You are at a greater risk for injury if your basic core fitness is not up to the challenge of lifting weights. If you feel like you do have the fitness you need to start weightlifting then tell your trainer. There are a million schools of thought on how to lose weight most efficiently and how to gain/lose muscle mass efficiently. Talk WITH your trainer so you can find what works best for YOUR BODY.

Good luck!

Why is this not true? You think that I can get bulky?
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Just what I was going to say chris. Most movements can be done without weights using your body as resistance. This is what I would recommend to start of with. eg body weight squats, then with just the bar, and progress from there. Pushups (knees or full) then move to bench press.

Form is everything and you need to make sure your body (especially your core) is up to the challenge before moving too far.

I really cant see why anyone would recommend machines though, except as a way of minimising liability for the gym.

I'd thank him for his advice, but that you are determined to do free weights. He therefore has only two choices, he can help you with your preparation and correct form... or he can wait for you to get injured and put a claim in for allowing you to hurt yourself! :P
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    My advice, based on only what I've read and done, is to go with the trainer initially but ask for some training on free weight form also (for later). Go ahead and do his machine workouts and get used to weights, and when you feel capable, either ask to move up or change trainers or do your own thing. I use New Rules of Lifting For Women and it's great. I also check http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html for new lifts. It has a gif demonstrating how to do every single lift/move.

Good luck!
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    I think it partially makes sense. I am ASSUMING he wants you to build a little muscle and work your muscles slowly rather than shocking them and really hurting yourself, which makes sense to me
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'd join a gym and simply ask someone you see doing the lifts you want to do if they can teach you how and watch your form. Just use a light bar. I see no difference in using a machine vs using a free weight--no matter a machine or freeweight, you can have bad form and need TRAINED.
    Now, when you said you want ed to do heavy weight, did you make it sound like you wanted to just jump in the deep end or did you make it clear that that was your GOAL? That is the only way I can think the trainer may have been thrown off. Maybe go back or to a different gym and say "I'd like to first learn proper form and really be watched doing deadlifts, presses and benchpress so I can learn the right form using a bar or just a pipe and then move up from there, with my goal being doing heavy lifting with failure at 5 reps or so within the next 6-8 months" If you propose this which is TOTALLY doable, even for someone who isn't very fit at all, and they STILL tell you to "just use the machines", I'd run--or go to the gym, find someone who is doing things properly and ask them to help coach you.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I'd join a gym and simply ask someone you see doing the lifts you want to do if they can teach you how and watch your form. Just use a light bar. I see no difference in using a machine vs using a free weight--no matter a machine or freeweight, you can have bad form and need TRAINED.
    Now, when you said you want ed to do heavy weight, did you make it sound like you wanted to just jump in the deep end or did you make it clear that that was your GOAL? That is the only way I can think the trainer may have been thrown off. Maybe go back or to a different gym and say "I'd like to first learn proper form and really be watched doing deadlifts, presses and benchpress so I can learn the right form using a bar or just a pipe and then move up from there, with my goal being doing heavy lifting with failure at 5 reps or so within the next 6-8 months" If you propose this which is TOTALLY doable, even for someone who isn't very fit at all, and they STILL tell you to "just use the machines", I'd run--or go to the gym, find someone who is doing things properly and ask them to help coach you.

No, what I meant by heavy was, heavy for me atm, not something that I'll kill myself on and snap my spine. Just not barbie weights.
  • BuildABetterMe
    Options
    I agree with the trainer's concern about building some core strength before hitting harder / heaver weights. You said yourself that you've not been in a gym in 10 years, and remember nothing about MACHINES, and this time you want to use FREE WEIGHTS.... So you'll not have any idea about proper form for the exercises, what weights will work for you during those exercises etc.

Take a couple of weeks and use lighter weights to focus on FORM. Once you have form down, you'll have built some core strength at the same time, and you're ready to move up to heavier weights.

Your attitude regarding injury is kinda scary. I base that on you saying "blah blah blah" as if you were bored with this person's very realistic concern about serious injury.

I don't say that to be a butthead. I say it because I get the feeling you're excited to get in the gym and get going, and that's GREAT! Just remember that it's a process, just like everything else. Go slow, don't rush, and do it RIGHT.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I think working to build your core strength is a really good suggestion, but couldn't you do both at once?
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you continue to interview other trainers until you find someone you are comfortable with. (even better yet - see if you can observe them training someone else... discretely - I always watch the trainers in my gym and that's how I would weed them out of consideration or add them to the short list to be interviewed).

Communication is a key aspect of the relationship and it would give me red flags that he is not listening to your needs and desires up front in jointly putting a plan together.

My random thoughts:

1) lifting heavy, means lifting as heavy as you can, within your ability and fitness level. It does not mean you start with heavy weights while you are learning the proper lifting form and builiding your strength. "heavy" is a relative term and not an absolute measurement

2) working on machines makes HIS job easier, but does not provide you any fitness advantage and is exactly what you don't want to do. The occasional machine here or there is fine, but it should not be 90% of what you do. He is being lazy.

3) I worked with a trainer to recover from an injury that had me limping for 6+ months with an IT Band injury and had significant muscle imbalances and a low fitness level. We did free weights and body weight only exercises (bulgarian split squats, landmines, push ups, pull ups, TRX, kettlebells, etc.). He also had me focused on building core strength. We did not do machines and I didn't hurt myself because he paid attention to my form like a hawk. That is what I paid him for... now I'm lifting heavy on my own (NROL4W) and doing metabolic high intensity workouts with a different trainer. (BTW, the first trainer I met with didn't want to work with me because of my stated expectations of what I needed and was looking for, so she referred me to a trainer who was perfect for my needs)

Keep looking - it may take a while to find a good trainer, but it is well worth it. Good luck!!
  • BuildABetterMe
    Options
    You obviously don't respect his opinion, so that's reason enough to find someone new.

Similar to shopping for a new doctor who will tell you what you're wanting to hear?

Sometimes we don't like to hear what is best for us. I think she's eager to get going, and he just wants her to be cautious.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    You obviously don't respect his opinion, so that's reason enough to find someone new.

Similar to shopping for a new doctor who will tell you what you're wanting to hear?

Sometimes we don't like to hear what is best for us. I think she's eager to get going, and he just wants her to be cautious.

A trainer doesn't go to school for over 10 years though.

MANY give terrible advice.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

Your attitude regarding injury is kinda scary. I base that on you saying "blah blah blah" as if you were bored with this person's very realistic concern about serious injury.

I don't say that to be a butthead. I say it because I get the feeling you're excited to get in the gym and get going, and that's GREAT! Just remember that it's a process, just like everything else. Go slow, don't rush, and do it RIGHT.

Uh what? If you think I have a bad attitude toward injury, then you've obviously read my post wrong or I've miscommunicated. It sounded like an EXCUSE to shuffle me away from free weights.

I'm a Trauma Critical Care nurse, I have an extreme respect for safety, ffs.

I'm trying to discern the bull**** from what could be reasonable advice from him. As a newb, I was I was hoping for some endorsement of his recs or if I should be looking elsewhere. Not for you to make assumptions about my attitude.

The doctor shopping comments are inane. But thanks for your helpfulness.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who said "heavy" is relative. Heavy for me the first time was about 40 lbs on the bar. I gradually increased that. Now, I've been lifting (my) heavy for 9 months now. You can see I have HUGE BULKING GUNS!

I too, read The New Rules of Lifting for Women by Lou Schuler, recently completed it and LOVE it. HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

I'd start there - well, because I did. I had never lifted anything except my kids before that book.
  • HeikkiLaukkanen
    HeikkiLaukkanen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should join a gym more in line with your interests, such as a power lifting gym. I'm sure you'd find folks there interested in doing the right thing for you. Start with very low weight like a bar and bumper weights (if even that) to get the form and balance down, then as you get stronger gradually increase your weight.

The big box gyms just want you to come in, spend money for a membership, and do a class or use some machines and get out of there with minimal risk - of them being sued.
  • kdejan
    kdejan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think he/she is being cautious because he/she doesn't want you to get injured. I know from experience when I've laid off of lifting weight (3+ months), the first week back is always pretty rough, and I have pulled muscles before. As a trainer, I would tell this to someone in your position who has not lifted free weights in 3+ months. The bulk thing is a lie, woman cannot get big from lifting free weights because you don't produce significant levels of testosterone. Most likely he is telling you that so he can shy you away from being pushy about the free weights thing. I would listen to him/her though if you want to continue training with him/her. For the first month build your core, use machines etc... and then move on to free weights. It will help to because you won't plateau. Right as your muscle are getting used to the machines you'll move to free weights and be able to build even more lean muscle.

That being said, if you really decide at the end of the day you'd rather just go with free weights, find another trainer that will let you do it. Either way you WILL be okay, and there is no harm, minus the rick of possibly pulling a muscle, which would heal in a week or two, of starting with free weights. Hope that helps!
  • morgabw
    Options
    I think it would be a great idea to get back working out. Having said that, you mentioned you have been away from the gym for 10 years, you've got a ways to go before you are ready for heavy weights, dead-lifting and the like. I think you benefit greatly from lower impact higher rep (i.e. bootcamp) workouts to begin with. After you build a base of strength and confidence, then I would definitely go for it...heavier weights, dead-lifting, squats, lunges the whole gamut. good luck
  • AshleyDR
    AshleyDR Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    So I have no experience as a trainer, all my experience is as a physical therapy technician. But since my bachelors degree is in exercise and wellness I did take lots of classes on it. I think the trainer is erring on the side of caution by a lot. Those trainers don't want to have you do something that will end up getting him or the gym sued. With that being said I agree with a couple of the women who suggested starting not necessarily with machines, but light bars and weights, until you have your form down. Start with a 12-15 rep range which is light, but will begin to help build your strength and endurance, while burning fat, for a couple weeks, and then go for heavier weights and the 8 rep range. So yes start lighter for a short period of time to prepare your muscles and then go heavier, if that is your goal. And yes everyone on here is correct when they say you will not get huge by lifting heavy, women are not built that way. lLfting heavy will increase your lean body mass, and therefore help you burn more calories. Good luck!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Just what I was going to say chris. Most movements can be done without weights using your body as resistance. This is what I would recommend to start of with. eg body weight squats, then with just the bar, and progress from there. Pushups (knees or full) then move to bench press.

Form is everything and you need to make sure your body (especially your core) is up to the challenge before moving too far.

I really cant see why anyone would recommend machines though, except as a way of minimising liability for the gym.

I'd thank him for his advice, but that you are determined to do free weights. He therefore has only two choices, he can help you with your preparation and correct form... or he can wait for you to get injured and put a claim in for allowing you to hurt yourself! :P

I was thinking about this for a bit, it's for muscular balance. Weights even body style exercises can be unbalanced causing unbalanced muscles which can lead to injury more easily.

This is correct. Hence why anyone doing the 100 pushups program should also be doing the 100 inverted rows program :tongue:
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    +1 to the start gradually / core strength suggestion. Develop good form so you can lift more effectively and efficiently once you move up in weight. Core strength will stabilze you when you start complicated compound movements. Lack of core strength can increase likelyhood of injury.

-1 to "You'll get big." Your genetics may allow you to display more muscle on your frame (ex: already broad shoulders may appear slightly broader w/ weight lifting), but you will not start hulking out in two weeks if you start out with the big plates. You'll just be sore as hell or pull something, then miss two weeks of training while you rest whatever you popped by starting to fast.

He couldn't explain the science effectively, so he tried to scare you out of a bad idea. I'd say he meant well, but I'd question his ability to train you effectively if he couldn't express the realistic results you could expect by lifting heavy before you're ready.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm curious had you had a session yet?, aside from an assessment...try it out first. I will say if you don't feel comfortable with him, then get someone else. But you have to see what he can do first. When I first decided to get healthy and lose weight, I didn't think I'd be running a marathon on my first day. I started slow with walking.

I've just started weight training, I signed up with a personal trainer at my gym who happens to be a friend of mine. I'm not very familiar with the weight machines so I wanted to get familiar, my first session (upper body) I got a great workout definitely felt the burn. Sore for days. Give it a try.