I can not seem to hit 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Maybe add fruit as a snack or dip the pretzels in a little peanut butter. You could also add steamed veggies or steamed brown rice to your meals as well. I am doing 1200 cal as well, feel free to add me!
  • megadon25
    megadon25 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    MORE fruits and veggies!! Also greek yogurt, almonds and eggs!
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    eat more protein or "healthy fats" such as nuts, avocado, etc.

and you should add in more fruits and veggies and less processed foods and snacks

My opinion is that MFP has a low number for protein, so it's generally a good idea to go over a bit if you're exercising too
  • benbobhenbob
    Options
    again, butter. Instead of cooking your chicken on a george foreman, pan sear it in a tablespoon each of olive oil and butter lightly dusted with flour.
  • amonkey9
    Options
    Same boat...
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I rarely meet 1200, but I don't think it's a big deal.

Looking at what you typically eat, I think you should replace those pretzels with fresh fruits and veggies -- maybe add a piece of fruit to your breakfast and lots of veggies with dinner.

I never go to bed hungry, I eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full. I eat tons of fresh fruits and veggies, and I exceed all of the nutrients I need. I think if you are getting enough protein, fiber, and all of your vitamins you don't run any risk of "starvation mode" (which I think is nonsense anyway!)
  • winw
    winw Posts: 15
    Options
    Joan, you are not eating anything like enough fruits and vegetables. You need a minimum of five servings a day and should try to get more like nine. you need to add a fruit to all three meals and at least one more vegetable to dinner. Fortunately, they are relatively low in calories, so you can add lots for the 350 calories you still have.

Eating too few calories will sabotage your weight loss. You body needs more calories than you are giving it to live. As a result it will do several bad things: 1) slow down your metabolism so that you burn fewer calories and therefore hang onto the weight you have. 2) burn muscle tissue instead of fat - makes you weaker and definitely is not good for the body.

If you will add green beans, spinach or other greens, peas, winter squash, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, califlower, apples, oranges, cherries, pears, grapefruit, etc. to your diet you will have more energy and lose weight faster. You are not really giving your body the variety of foods it needs to get all the nutrients your need.
  • barboura
    barboura Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't stress over the 1200 calories right away! I was reading something that suggested take your IDEAL weight and multiply it by 10, and that's how many calories you should eat. (Ex: Goal is 150 lbs = 1500 calories a day)

If you add more fruits, you'll find the sugar going up and you probably don't want to do that. Snack on a hard boiled egg or some cheese about 30 - 40 minutes before a meal, that will help curb your appetite.:wink:

Good luck - you can do it after you've been on it for a while.
  • lmbtexas
    Options
    I do not know if you are exercising as well as watching your caloric intake; if you are exercising, you definitely need to ensure your are eating a 1200 net calories per day in order to keep your metabolism from slowing down. I would definitely ad an apple or pear to both your snacks, these will help you feel full & add about 160-200 calories to your day. Adding 2 tablespoons olive oil when cooking chicken or make a vinagrette using it with some tarragon vinegar for salads/marinades will add a good fat & remaining calories. Good Luck!
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am on something close to Atkins. I usually have a protein shake for breakfast. They are good, and you could also do a veggie/fruit one.
  • FatFernando
    FatFernando Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It is a bonus Now i am newbe here but if you cut our the bread and starches it is not hard. Then if you add some exercise during the day
  • jessicarasm
    Options
    I have this same problem. My goal is 1200 but I always end up at 900.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I'm not the original poster but these tips will really help me because I naturally don't take in so many calories because I rarely feel like eating, I just make myself eat at what I think is regular intervals (which is only 2 times a day). I'm gonna work on getting up a little earlier that can give me the more time to get in the higher calorie snacks and stuff like that.
  • rn134good
    Options
    I can't stay under that for the life of me!!!!
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    my food diary is public, you can add me and get ideas. Keep it healthy, don't go for "empty calorie" add so fruit or good oils such as raw almonds. 2% string cheese. Liven it up a bit!! Add some berries to your oatmeal.
  • martalaurazayas
    martalaurazayas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I dont know what to eat to hit 1200 calories, I am always about 360 short at the end of the day. I eat all of my protein but fall short on calories, carbs and fat. Any suggestions. I have never counted what I eat so I dont know what has calories at the end of the day.
    Breakfast, instant apple cinnamon oatmeat
    IF YOU PREPARE IT WITH WATER MAYBE YOU CAN USE MILK, AND IF YOU PREPARE IT WITH SKIM MILK MAYBE YOU CAN USE LOWFAT MILK SINCE YOU TEND TO BE LOW IN FAT AS WELL AS CALORIES.

5 pretzels between then and lunch
    MAYBE ADD ONE OF THE FOLLOWING TO YOUR PRETZELS:
    --LITE YOGURT (100 CALORIES OR LESS)
    --ANY FRUIT (60-100 CALORIES DEPENDING ON WHAT)
    ---ONE OUNCE OF CHEESE, OR TWO WEDGES OF LIGHT LAUGHING COW WEDGES (ONLY 35 CALORIES)
    ---3 OZ OF TURKEY BREAST MEAT (88 CALORIES)
    ----PEANUT BUTTER (94 CALORIES PER TABLESPOON)

Lunch smart one meal
    5 pretzels between lunch and dinner
    --ANY OF THE SAME ADDITIONS AS ABOVE

Dinner usually george forman chicken breast or broiled shrimp or talipa with salad and bushes baked beans.
    --BAKED POTATO (161 CALORIES) WITH SOUR CREAM ( 31 CAL IN 1 TBLSPN)
    ---VEGETABLES WITH A TSPN OF BUTTER (ABOUT 100 CALORIES IN TBLSN)
    ----ONE SLICE OF BREAD WITH BUTTER (OR CAN'T BELIEVE ITS NOT BUTTER LESS CALORIES, OR OLIVE OIL WITH 110 CAL IN EACH TABLESPOON)

What can I change to hit my limit?

I added the changes I would do above in caps.
  • btpeanut
    btpeanut Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i really wish i had this problem.....
  • cookiehogger
    Options
    Why do you need to be under 1200 if you've had this eating pattern you shouldn't have a problem in the first place :yawn:
  • 3Sarah333
    3Sarah333 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I am having issues with as well! I'm eating fruits & some veggies for my snacks. I'm not letting myself have pop or fast food anymore. Almost every night I get that message: you're not eating enough" I hate it!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want. Doesn't have to be "clean" foods. I would think that if you are at around 900cals per day that you would be massively deficient in protein (the most important macronutrient when in calorie deficit) so I'd probably eat some lean meats.