Are calories REALLY all that matter?

Options

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Calories are obviously important but not the whole answer on their own. Carbs and protein levels are just as important especially the balance between carbs and protein. Good information source would be The Insulin Resistance Diet.
  • mistersmithsbox
    Options
    No point? So if you aren't going to eat healthy foods then you should just stay overweight/obese?
    You missed the point of what I said entirely.

What's the point of eating 1500 calories of bull****? Tracking macros allows a person to make sure they're getting adequate nutrition. You can eat whatever you want - healthy or junkie - and lose weight. A calorie is a calorie after all and a deficit is a deficit at the end of the day. I've lost 100# doing the most ridiculous things in the world but I wasn't healthIER. It was pointless when I look back on it. Just because a person is losing weight doesn't mean they're healthy. That's what we should be promoting - HEALTH. Just because a person goes from 290# to 140# doesn't mean they are automatically healthier because they're thinner. Skinny people have bad health too.

Tada.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    What? Of course a person at 140 is healthier than a person at 270. Your food choices alone don't determine your level of health.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,652 Member
    Options
    I'm not asking because I don't know, but I want to hear your opinions/thoughts on this. A combination of reduced calories and reasonable amounts of carbs, fats, sodium, etc. are all factors. Do you focus most on calories and staying under your goal, or do you try to make sure you meet the requirements in every category?

Are there people out there who say, "As long as I'm under my calorie goal, I'm happy"?

If so, I'm not judging. Genuinely curious about how everyone thinks. =)
    Get in your macro and micro nutrients, vitamins and good oils and just stay in calorie deficit. That's pretty much it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    All calories are NOT created equal....

Some are more nutrient dense and some have little nutritional value.
    From a weight loss standpoint it does not matter

And this is why I stay under in all but protein. I want to lose weight but not muscle if I can help it
  • oliviaseward
    oliviaseward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    like said above.... i try to stay under in all the categories... through it doesnt really work out when it comes to protein. the thing i watch the most is the calories and normally if i eat low caloies the rest follow suit
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    All calories are NOT created equal....
    A calorie is a calorie. It's a unit of energy. Whether from a carb, protein or fat the energy value of a calorie is the same. Macronutrient/micronutrient content makes the difference.

IDEA Fitness member
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Oringally, I just looked at calories, and did this for the majority of last year, and I lost 15lbs so it does work, but would I have lost more if I ate healthier? who knows. But now I am slowly working on eating enough protein fiber, less fat and sodium and more fresh foods. I still go out to eat and eat processed food, but I'm slowly cutting back. Same thing with soda, slowly but surely cutting back.
  • ShelleLP
    Options
    Healthier choices have to be in the budget and the whole family needs to eat the same foods. So I watch my calories(and other stats) as an indicator that I might be over doing it. But I never make goals for calories even when I splurge like the last couple of days. Exercise is my focus. Fighting illness and injury and getting that done are the goals I have. So I will watch what I eat but I won't stress it.
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    As I see it, if I'm too overwhelmed with thinking about what I should and shouldn't eat, whether I fit in a work out today or not, I can always fall back on my caloric limit to be sure I am still moving forward with my weight loss. It is more of a priority for me right now to be eating healthy foods.
  • enigrebua
    enigrebua Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to stay under on everything, especially carbs, cause I eat wayyyy too many carbs. I try and make sure I get enough protein and fibre cause I tend to just eat crap but not much of it, which is almost as unhealthy as eating crap and loads of it!
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    My main concern is calorie intake, but I try to make sure I meet at least half of my macros and stay under my sugar. My parents are both diabetic so I very carefully watch my blood sugar. They also both have high blood pressure so I also really watch my sodium intake. I'm usually good about salt, but I usually end up going over a bit on sugars, but its not every day, so I don't mind. So for me, calories, then sugar, then sodium, then my other macros. :) I also take a daily vitamin to get my iron, calcium, etc. I believe that its better to be healthy all around rather than just eating low cal.

ETA: I also find I'm losing weight a bit faster than when I ONLY watched calories.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I really have to watch calories because with my natural eating habits (currently) I consistently take in far less than 1200 calories, thus for the past few days I've been making an effort to eat above 1200 at least because I want to continue on with losing weight and let my body know that I'm not starving.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Agree with Sunshine & Niner.

Hit your minimum protein & fat, stick to your calorie goal. Eat a variety of foods to cover all the micronutrients. Live long & prosper with your good health & low bf levels :tongue:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    No point? So if you aren't going to eat healthy foods then you should just stay overweight/obese?

What's the point of eating 1500 calories of bull****? Tracking macros allows a person to make sure they're getting adequate nutrition. You can eat whatever you want - healthy or junkie - and lose weight. A calorie is a calorie after all and a deficit is a deficit at the end of the day. I've lost 100# doing the most ridiculous things in the world but I wasn't healthIER. It was pointless when I look back on it. Just because a person is losing weight doesn't mean they're healthy. That's what we should be promoting - HEALTH. Just because a person goes from 290# to 140# doesn't mean they are automatically healthier because they're thinner. Skinny people have bad health too.

Tada.

Lol oh yeah because it is MUCH better to be obese. 290 pounds eating all healthy foods and you will still have MANY health problems. it is pretty hard to be eating 1500 calories of nothing. Since even "unhealthy" foods have nutritional value. Im sure if someone dropped 150 pounds they would be healthier. Able to move more and be more active, less stress on the heart, less stress on joints. Oh yeah that's not healthier at all. Being 290 and eating veggies is much better.

I never encouraged anyone to eat crap. I am a nutrition major and constantly studying it. Go read my original post where I gave what I do and actual advice.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Tada.
    Health actually comes down to not being obese/very overweight, not being sedentary, getting enough rest, environment, not engaging in risk behavior (EX: smoking) and genetics.
    It isn't just about food. You can eat healthy and be unhealthy, just like you can eat junk and be healthy.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ladybug1009
    ladybug1009 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    What? Of course a person at 140 is healthier than a person at 270. Your food choices alone don't determine your level of health.

Depends. Just become someone may be at a healthier weight for their body does not necessarily mean that they are healthier than the individual that is 270 pounds. I have seen people that are in a healthy weight range and are extremely unhealthy compared to an individual that just got lapband surgery that weighs in at 260 lbs. All in all, it depends on each individual's health and their habits. You can't generalize that statement that just because someone is smaller means they are healthier.

This example is like me and my husband. He's a lot smaller than me and eats crap all the time. His arteries could be a lot worse than mine since he eats junk all the time. Just because he's at a healthy weight for his height doesn't give him a clean bill of health. And I'm not saying I have a clean one either being my bigger size.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I just eat healthier and dn't count anymore though when I first started I was calorie counting and when I first went wheat free/low carb I tracked for a few weeks. Once I knew cals for all usual meals I didn't bother as rarely make it over 1200 unless I add chocolate to satisfy my monthly cravings or add a brandy and coke or two!

Most carbs come frm veg/fruit.. Lunches and dinners are salad or veg with fish or meat, processed carbs are replaced with alternatives.. I use gluten free bread 1-2 times a week, no pasta, no rice with dinner , sweet poato allowed once a week, or occasionally once a month or less I allow oven chips or (white) jacket potato.

Drinks are just Yorkshire tea with meals and water throughout rest of day and I've been managing to exercise for at least 30mins a day most days...if miss a day, I try and do an hour the next day to make up. This is working for me (32lbs lost, 13" off tummy circumference, 7" off waist, 4" off boobs!)
  • tiffany0127
    tiffany0127 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    If your only goal is to lose weight - yes calorie deficit is all that matters . It will cause you to lose weight.
    If you want to look good naked though adequate protein and fat intake is very important (along with strength training of course)
    Sodium only masks fat loss. It does not slow it down

I track my Macros and calories, making sure to at lest meet the minimum for pro and fat. I also track sodium just so I know what to expect on the scale. Somedays I go over, get on the scale, and DON"T freakout because it is only water retention and I did not gain 5 lbs over night. Hehe

No days are perfect. I do what I can and don't let it control my life anymore than it already does

Very well put!
  • twilightsm
    Options
    I try to stay under all my nutritional goals...