Perpetual thirst!

Options
I drink a lot. I have always been a big water drinker, and get through at least 3 litres of water most days. In addition to that, I drink tea - three or four big mugs a day. I drink when I work out. I should be well hydrated.

But I'm thirsty a lot. And properly thirsty too.

I know I'm not diabetic. Any other possible causes for this?

Replies

• snookybear
    Options
    Sounds funny but the more water I drink the more I notice my thirst,
    Not sure why!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I'm always drinking, it is best to keep water in front of me, not sure why but I am always drinking something.
  • elysia81
    Options
    Do you eat alot of salty foods? Or foods with high potassium? They sometimes make you thirsty. Also eating fresh fruit and vegetables should decrease your thirst.

However, drinking 3L and tea is quite excessive. If you also get fatigue, blurry vision or pee more than five times a day you should see your doctor to retest for diabetes or possible kidney/liver function tests.

Good luck! and congrats so far!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm a vege, so I do eat lots of fruit and veg. I've already been tested for diabetes.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Maybe get your kidney function checked? That's the only thing I can think of.
  • pixieakabigd
    Options
    Meerkat70, I am the same. The more water I drink, the more I notice my thirst. I was warned by the doctor of overhydration which dilutes your pee (your pee should be a light yellow and not see-through like mine!) and your liver/kidney functions. The whole 8 glasses of water isn't the way to go - you should drink water if you are thirsty! Well, thats what my GP said anyway. And in the exceptional case where someone's thirst alerts seem to be weak, they will have to be discerning. But anyway, I digress :)

I think that because I have got used to drinking so much water, my body expects it so I am thirstier. But let me know if you discover any other reasons!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I'm the same and I've been checked over - I'm 'normal' :-)
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    You do a LOT of exercise every day so perhaps you need to drink more than the average person. When I was young and fit and slim and exercising like a mad thing I used to drink up to 3 litres a day too. Working in an air-conditioned office didn't help either!
  • blissfuldrake
    blissfuldrake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Some medications can make you thirsty....
  • smokeybryant
    Options
    I agree with CarolynB38, if you are doing a lot of exercise the normal rules don't really apply. The 2 litres a day is recommended for everyone however when you are in a hot climate and/or do a lot of exercise you are going to sweat out a lot more than those who are in cold climates and do little exercise.
  • 05maing
    Options
    The average cup of tea has 50mg of caffeine. At 400mg, caffeine will start to have a diuretic (dehydrating) effect. Since you're drinking so much tea, you might be passing that natural buffer. Maybe drink less tea and more water? Or maybe a lighter brew to your tea?

http://teafinelybrewed.com/blog/does-tea-hydrate-or-dehydrate-you/
  • meerkat70
    Options
    The average cup of tea has 50mg of caffeine. At 400mg, caffeine will start to have a diuretic (dehydrating) effect. Since you're drinking so much tea, you might be passing that natural buffer. Maybe drink less tea and more water? Or maybe a lighter brew to your tea?

http://teafinelybrewed.com/blog/does-tea-hydrate-or-dehydrate-you/

I seem to recall that this has been in dispute for some time - tea has a very very mild diuretic effect, and is only really an issue in people with kidney issues, or problems related to congestive heart failure. . But it's worth thinking over, thanks. :-)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I agree with CarolynB38, if you are doing a lot of exercise the normal rules don't really apply. The 2 litres a day is recommended for everyone however when you are in a hot climate and/or do a lot of exercise you are going to sweat out a lot more than those who are in cold climates and do little exercise.

Thanks Carolyn and Bryant. I do put in about an hour and a half most days, so perhaps this is the issue.... Yesterday, I just seemed to be drinking all day long - 4 bottles of water (500ml) at my desk, 2 before I left in the morning, 3 in the evening, plus the tea. I was starting to wonder where it was all going!