My first half marathon!

Options
I signed up for a half-marathon in May, and I'm not really sure how to prepare for it. Should I look up an actual training schedule online, or should I just keep running on my own and gradually increase my mileage without following a set plan?

Also, what is a realistic goal time for me to aim for? The only other race I've ever done was 7 miles and i did it at a 10-minute mile pace. I was thinking of just aiming for any time under two and half hours.

Replies

• Calvinator24
    Calvinator24 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I would recommend you follow a training schedule. Join a local running group if you can find one. Or, look for training programs in your area so you can train with others.

As far as finish time, you are on track to do much better than 2:30. Actually, according to the estimators I find, you should be able to finish a half marathon in about 2:16.

I'm not sure I could maintain 10 min/mi pace over 7 miles, and my last half was 2:23.
  • heartshines
    heartshines Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Follow a training plan. This will help you best prepare. There are many online training schedules....especially for beginners.
    Good luck!!
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the training plan. As for time, that depends on you. For my first 1/2 my goal was simply to finish, my time was 2:06. For my second I knew what I could do and trained much harder, finished in 1:46.
  • trlrnrgrl
    Options
    I think it's hard to say. Myself, I like the structure of a training plan because it helps me gauge my progress and fitness, and I know if I can follow the plan, I should be able to have a good race. However, my husband follows no plans at all - he just builds mileage whenever he feels like it, and it seems to work for him. I have read about others using this strategy - they just build mileage when they feel like it (literally whenever they feel like their body is ready, they'll up their mileage for their long run) and then, as they get close to a particular distance they like, they'll find a race to run.

As far as time, you can look on line and there are charts that will estimate your finish time for different distances based on shorter distances paces. However, there's nothing at all wrong with not worrying about times on your first half - just crossing the finish line is a great accomplishment! That allows you to just chill and enjoy the experience.

Good luck!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I just started the Jeff Galloway 1/2 plan. I started today with the 4 mile(the week's Long run) since I've been running quite a bit. He uses intervals, though. So like run 3 minutes, walk 1 or run 45 minutes, walk 15 type idea. I hadn't actually ever run 4 miles before and I did it in 55 minutes, running 10 min, walking 5. I may try different intervals to see which works best for me, but I think his training program is pretty solid.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I concur with the training plan, 5 months is plenty of time to get yourself ready if you are already getting some good mileage in. As for the time, as your runs get longer you will want to slow your pace down. And I think 2:30 is a realistic goal for a first half. I just ran my first half in December and it was an incredible feeling go finish!
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Bump, I just signed up for my first one too.

Do you have any shorter races between now and then? Those will help too.
  • amyrllin
    Options
    I agree with following a training plan. You need to incorporate some hill work and some tempo work so you know how to run on tired legs. Everything I have read recommends hills once a week, tempo once a week and a long run once a week also. The running room has training programs and "runners world" website has training plans also. Also if there is a running group in your area it is great to socialize and run with people who have the same goals. Most of my friends think I am crazy for attempting long runs but my running friends think I am relatively normal!!
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! It's scary the first time, but just stick with your training and you will do it! I didn't really know what time to expect for myself the first time--to be honest, I just wanted to complete the darn thing!! I'm slow! You will get a sense of how fast you are throughout your training, so then you can set yourself a good, realistic goal. I just signed up for my second on April 29. I think following a training program is really important. Then you know you are doing enough and not too much... I am going to use this site (I used it last year too and liked it--I'm just going to up my level): http://www.halhigdon.com/. Hope that helps.

Good luck, and most of all have fun! Take the rest days they recommend and make sure you eat!! Add me if you want to help each other out!
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am also doing my first half, but in April. I think it's all about pacing yourself. I just started using Hal Higdon's training schedule. I feel like the steady increase in mileage is something I can do. But I still have to do walk/jog intervals. Hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!!
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Agree that a training plan works best once you are 10 or 12 weeks out. Till then I would work on increasing mileage. I used the one on marathon rookie for my first and it worked great. Hal Higdon has a good program as well.

As for pace, google macmillan pace calculator. You can use it to get a sense as to how fast you might run the half. But I would sweat the time too much for your first.
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have a half marathon in June. I'm doing with a friend. We're starting with c25k, then we'll do bridge to 10k and there's also an app for training for half marathons.

We're doing a 4k race in feb. An 8k race in march and a 10k in April.

Best of luck with your race
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    The long run is the most important run - you gotta run super slow to get the most mileage... but your mileage on your other runs will explode...
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    look up a training schedule and follow it to the letter. do not push yourself too far too quickly, to avoid injury. even on days when you are in the zone and feel like you can run twenty miles.

look into short interval runs as well. these will help improve your speed, and the long runs will help your endurance.

you should also know that you can only run as fast as you can move your arms. that being said, do not neglect strength training. squats, dead lifts, lunges are great for legs to support your runs, and chest presses, bicep curls, and over head presses are excellent for upper body.

i run with a camelbak back pack that when filled with water it weighs 6 pounds. adds a great amount of resistance without being uncomfortable. when i ran my first race, without the pack, i felt like i was flying.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I suggest following a plan.
    Try Hal Higdon's plan.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

This is what I followed for my first 1/2.
    Good luck!
  • sbgraves
    Options
    I am doing my 1st half in March! I am just following the training they have for free on their website. I think following a plan keeps you focused. I was training for one 4 years ago and got up to the 10 mile long run only to be let down by my procrastination and the race was full by the time I registered :( So, this is my year! BTW, I said I would finish in under 2 hours....I am so regretting that! I wish I would have put a longer time so I was not let down. Sorry to ramble lol...Add me if you want the extra support!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I suggest following a plan.
    Try Hal Higdon's plan.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

This is what I followed for my first 1/2.
    Good luck!

did this plan for my 1st half too- was really doable.

good luck!
  • __Ang__
    __Ang__ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for my first half marathon in July and I have been reading this book geared towards a full but you can cut the mileage in half.

The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer by David Whitsett, Forrest Dolgener and Tanjala Kole

it gives a lot of good tips and advice and breaks it into weeks so not a lot of reading.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I've done several half marathons and I always use the Hal Higdon plan. It is free at his websight. I know of several people that have used it and were happy with the plan.

Other advise for your first big race:

- Don't eat anything different then you did on you long training runs.
    - Don't wear anything you haven't worn before
    - Get a pair of good running socks, they help with sweaty feet on on runs and race days
    - Start slow on race day an ddrop the hammer a mile out
    - Throughout the race look over you sholder and see all the people your faster then.
    - Invest in body glide....trust me it works!
  • Babygirl082578
    Babygirl082578 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've done several half marathons and I always use the Hal Higdon plan. It is free at his websight. I know of several people that have used it and were happy with the plan.

Other advise for your first big race:

- Don't eat anything different then you did on you long training runs.
    - Don't wear anything you haven't worn before
    - Get a pair of good running socks, they help with sweaty feet on on runs and race days
    - Start slow on race day an ddrop the hammer a mile out
    - Throughout the race look over you sholder and see all the people your faster then.
    - Invest in body glide....trust me it works!

Very good advice....Love it!