disillusioned??

Options
2»

Replies

• TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    As a skinny git (oh and its "bollucks" by the way), I DID used to eat very, very little over the weekends, but that was because I would do very little over the weekends. During the working week, I'd eat a LOT (As I'm discovering now I keep a diary). My problem was I was not eating a consistent decent amount.

Added to that, I have a relatively high metabolism (my mum is thin) and I worry a lot of it off. I also (to my shame) used to drink a beer when I really should have been having a snack. Surprisingly skipping a meal and drinking instead used to make me lose weight. I've since quit drinking.

Currently I'm trying to put on weight and I'm getting sick of the sight of food. So, it works both ways. Eating 2 1/2 k calories is a pain in the *kitten* I'm finding, but I need to do it if I want to look more like people class as "normal". I also need to get into fitness training or all these extra calories are just going to make tightening my belt harder.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

Starvation mode as many people understand it (that you will GAIN weight if you don't eat enough) is bullox (Brits, is that spelled right???). But eating too little will slow your metabolism, making weight loss a bigger struggle.

It's bollocks, not bullox. Not sure what bullox is, actually! It means testicles.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" will make you lose weight---witness pictures of people who survived concentration camps. Not a look most of us want! Unfortunately if you eat too few calories, more of the lost weight will be lean muscle instead of fat. In the long run that will defeat your efforts in the gym and lower your resting metabolic rate. The reason we are encouraged to lose around 2 pounds a week is that is the best rate for your body to convert fat to energy. and spare your muscles. It takes a lot of exercise to gain muscle mass--especially for women. If water weight is a problem, decreasing your carbs can help. Hope that helps. Good luck!
    SMART ANSWER!!!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    eat back what you work off. You are stunting your metabolism and not encouraging your body to burn fat. To do this in a healthy way, you need to eat at least 1200 calories a day...

Skinny people eat - they just eat smarter, possibly work out, and are blessed with a better metabolism.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Starvation mode as many people understand it (that you will GAIN weight if you don't eat enough) is bullox (Brits, is that spelled right???). But eating too little will slow your metabolism, making weight loss a bigger struggle.

It's bollocks, not bullox. Not sure what bullox is, actually! It means testicles.

Oh dear! I don't know, either, but it's not a common US expression so I wasn't sure about spelling. Thanks for the correction, though. In the future, I will spell it correctly. At least I know how to use it!
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree with others' assessments--you're probably eating too little and you need to give it more than 12 days. Weight doesn't just magically disappear- when you "subtract" the amount of calories that should approximate a weight loss--it's a metabolic process and can take time.

I also caution about relying on nutritional and/or medical/health information provided by personal trainers as opposed to people who have professional and academic training in nutrition, such as registered dietitians. A trainer may have some skill/training/experience in how to guide you in an exercise or fitness plan, how to motivate you, etc., and even some basic nutritional knowledge, but that's not the same as a health care professional.
  • DolceButterfly
    Options
    Hello Shaggymum. I actually have "starved" myself the last 3 weeks. I have been doing the 800 calories as well. I have lost 15 lbs. I stay way under my calories and work out. However, I am taking a good multivitamin without iron. It is working. Once I get down another 15 lbs., I will go to 1000 calories and then probably stay there until I lose the additional 30 lbs. I need to lose. Make sure you take a vitamin. If your body feels it isn't getting nutrients, it will retain water and fat to feed it. Take a strong vitamin. I would tell you which one I'm taking but they said not advertisements.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I also caution about relying on nutritional and/or medical/health information provided by personal trainers as opposed to people who have professional and academic training in nutrition, such as registered dietitians. A trainer may have some skill/training/experience in how to guide you in an exercise or fitness plan, how to motivate you, etc., and even some basic nutritional knowledge, but that's not the same as a health care professional.

Agreed! I had dinner with some friends Friday night. One of them is a trainer and in the past, I've been quite impressed with his knowledge and sensibility. Then his wife started talking about the diet pills he's now selling.

All my previous respect ~~~~~> Out the window.
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    ...and you'll find you will be much happier as well.